Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mounting Tape Drive
Operating Systems SCO Mounting Tape Drive Post 302975015 by jgt on Tuesday 7th of June 2016 06:32:45 AM
Old 06-07-2016
Run:
Code:
mkdev tape

The Adaptec controller is referred to as 'alad'

---------- Post updated at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:25 AM ----------

If the data on the backup tape is in tar format, then
Code:
tar xv8

should extract the data from the default tape drive.
The list of tar devices is maintained in /etc/default/tar.
The 'tape' command can be used to display the status of the drive.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mounting a drive

Trying to mount a drive which has been dropped after corruption. What is the quickets and esiest command to run and which switches? cheers olly (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ollyparkhouse
1 Replies

2. Solaris

mounting an external scsi tape drive

hi- I just installed a quad gigaswift ethernet scsi card to my sunblade 150. I checked with the docs, and got all of the required drivers on the box. Now, I'm trying to mount an external scsi tape drive with no luck. I set the scsi address on the external drive to 0. Here's what I'm coming... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble mounting tape drive with Lynx OS

I'm trying to mount tape drive so I can tar from a cd. this is what i type: mount /dev/rsd2940.4 /mnt this is what i get: mount /dev/rsd2940.4 on /mnt : Block device required I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. It's my understanding that rsd2940.4 is the block device. An... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nic_stersic
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mounting remote tape drive

Hi, Would appreciate if anyone could tell me if it is possible to mount (and use) a remote tape drive on a AIX server, and if so, what are the precise configuration steps needed? The tape drive to be mounted as a remote tape drive is present on another AIX server in the same network. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
0 Replies

5. AIX

Mounting remote tape drive

Hi, Would appreciate if anyone could tell me if it is possible to mount (and use) a remote tape drive on a AIX server, and if so, what are the precise configuration steps needed? The tape drive to be mounted as a remote tape drive is present on another AIX server in the same network. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

7. SCO

mounting USB floppy drive /Flash drive in OSR 6.0

Can anybody help me out to mount USB flash /floppy drive in sco openserver 6.0 . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshdrajan
5 Replies

8. AIX

Mounting Tape Drive from different partition

Dear all, I have a AIX server with logical 3 partitions and the server is connecting a tape drive. the first partition can successfully making a system backup to the tape but how can i fail to mount the tape to second and thrid partition. would anyone can help me to deal with it? what command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickhlwong
3 Replies
dds2index(1)						      General Commands Manual						      dds2index(1)

NAME
dds2index - tool to create an indexfile for the use of SYNOPSIS
dds2index [options] DESCRIPTION
dds2index creates an index file that is required by the file extraction utility dds2tar(1). It works on tar archives stored on dds tape devices (DAT). Since the file structure of the tape archives is used to extract the files, the archive must be an uncompressed tar ar- chive. But compression by the transparent signal processor of the tape device is allowed. The index created by dds2index is written to stdout by default and should normally be stored on hard disk as indexfile for later use by dds2tar(1). The default tape device to read from is /dev/nst0, which may be overridden with the environment variable TAPE, which in turn may be over- ridden with the -f device option. The device must be a SCSI tape device. OPTIONS
-f devicefile device of the tape archive. Must be a character special file. -t indexfile write the index to indexfile, not to stdout. -z,--compress write the index in (gzip) compressed mode. --help print some screens of online help with examples through a pager and exit immediatley. OPTIONS you didn't really need -b, --block-size Set the maximal blocksize, dds2index can handle. --z, --no-compress Don't filter the archive file through gzip. -v,--verbose verbose mode. Print to stderr what is going on. -h,--hash-mode Print a hash sign '#' to stderr for each MB read from tape. -V,--version Print the version number of dds2index to stderr and exit immediately. EXAMPLES
Example of getting the index from the default tape /dev/nst0 and storing it in file archive.idx: dds2index -v -t archive.idx WARNING
This program can only read records (tar is calling them tape blocks) up to 32 kbytes. A bigger buffer will cause problems with the Linux device driver. ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable TAPE overrides the default tape device /dev/nst0. FILES
/dev/nst0 default tape device file. Must be a character special file. SEE ALSO
dds2tar(1), mt(1), mt-dds(1), tar(1), gzip(1) HISTORY
This program was created as a tool for dds2tar(1). AUTHOR
J"org Weule (weule@cs.uni-duesseldorf.de), Phone +49 211 751409. This software is available at ftp.uni-duesseldorf.de:/pub/unix/apollo 2.4 dds2index(1)