Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Controlling time stamps in a bash script Post 302974967 by Zooma on Monday 6th of June 2016 04:52:16 PM
Old 06-06-2016
Controlling time stamps in a bash script

Hi,
I have a bash script that generates CSV (.txt) files at fairly regular time intervals. I'm currently time stamping each batch of measurements at the time I write the rows into a MySQL database. As the result, one set of data might get the time 12:01:32 and the next set of data gets the time 12:03:14. The average time between measurements is about 1-3 minutes.

This works fine, but I'm working on a frontend where I want to display measurements from various events in the same graphs, and the resolution should be 5 minutes.

So my script should ideally only kick off a new measurement every 5th minute and when it stores the times it should also be at even 5-minute intervals.

Some pseudo code showing the current behavior if it explains better:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

while true
do

# Code to generate csvFile.txt. Should be initialized every 5th min.

# Below is how I currently time stamp the rows in the database
   # Here I want the time given at fixed 5 minute intervals
   awk -v A="$(date "+%y%m%d  %T")"  '{print A,$0}' csvFile.txt | tr -s ' ' 
   ';' > csvFileToDB.txt

# Code to inser the resulting files to MySQL not shown here
 fi
done

To summarize the wanted behavior with an example:

The script starts a new measurement at a fixed 5-minute interval. For example, one interval should start at 12:00. It then generates the CSV file (it normally takes one to two minutes) and stores the values to the database with the start time for the interval (in this case 12:00). Then the script waits until 12:05 before it starts over with the same procedure again.

Anyone who knows how to do this?

Thanks
//Z

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Files in the same order along with time stamps

Hi , I am New to this group and would like to know if someone can help me on this issue : We need to copy some files from a particular directory to another directory in the same order and time stamps .How can this be achieved . For Ex : ./ABC/disk101/XYZ has 1000 files with varying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyam.appalla
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with subtracting time stamps in excel..

Hi All, I need an unix script/command to delete the milliseconds from the time stamps so that it becomes compatible with Excel sheet while displaying finally. I have the following data in 2 columns which was obtained with some unix script(awk based) on some log files. Finally i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing time stamps

Hello All, I'm generating timestamps (file creation timestamps) for all the files in a directory. I need to compare all the timestamps. for example if i have 4 files and their timestamps are 20091125114556, 20091125114556,20091125114556,20091125114556 respectively. I need to differentiate... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing time stamps

Hello All, I'm generating timestamps (file creation timestamps) for all the files in a directory. I need to compare all the timestamps. for example if i have 4 files and their timestamps are 20091125114556, 20091125114556,20091125114556,20091125114556 respectively. I need to differentiate... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time difference between two time stamps

Hi Friends, I have 2 varaibles which contain START=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` END=`date '+ %m/%d/%y %H:%M:%S'` i want the time difference between the two variables in Seconds. Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

date time stamps in bash

I'm looking for a way to have the "date" command output the date in a specific format. I'm not familiar with the different ways to use the date command at all. i read up on it, but i dont get how to manipulate it. i know that i can get the date format to give me a format like: 2012-10-13... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment time stamps.

Hi Gents. Please can you help me to solve a problem. I have a long list of files, which I need to change the time stamp. -r--r--r-- 1 geo2 geovect 47096216 Feb 8 10:40 00000009.segd -r--r--r-- 1 geo2 geovect 47096216 Feb 8 10:40 00000010.segd -r--r--r-- 1 geo2 geovect 47096216 Feb ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the Logs between two Time Stamps?

Hi, I have been working on the error Log script, where errors are pulled from server. I need to pull the data of the error logs between two dates & time, for example : 22/12/2014 20:00:00 22/12/2014 22:00:00 Whatever error have came during this duration. Now the question is the record... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitgpta90
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collecting logs between two time stamps

Hi, please help me to collect the entire log files between two time stamp. for example, I am looking script to collect the entire log between "2015-03-27 15:59" to "2015-03-27 16:15" in the below sample log file. OS : RHEL 6.3 Date/Time : 24 hours format, the time is printing each log... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerryknj
12 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cygwin_openssh time stamps

I've installed cygwin_openssh on Windows 2012 R2 and it's working great. My issue is when a file is uploaded say from a different timezone, when it is uploaded, it doesnt pick up the sftp servers time.. Is there a way to fix that? i.e. When someone in PST uploads a file to this server in EST,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeAdkins
0 Replies
MRTG-LOGFILE(1) 						       mrtg							   MRTG-LOGFILE(1)

NAME
mrtg-logfile - description of the mrtg-2 logfile format SYNOPSIS
This document provides a description of the contents of the mrtg-2 logfile. OVERVIEW
The logfile consists of two main sections. The first Line It stores the traffic counters from the most recent run of mrtg. The rest of the File Stores past traffic rate averates and maxima at increassing intervals. The first number on each line is a unix time stamp. It represents the number of seconds since 1970. DETAILS
The first Line The first line has 3 numbers which are: A (1st column) A timestamp of when MRTG last ran for this interface. The timestamp is the number of non-skip seconds passed since the standard UNIX "epoch" of midnight on 1st of January 1970 GMT. B (2nd column) The "incoming bytes counter" value. C (3rd column) The "outgoing bytes counter" value. The rest of the File The second and remaining lines of the file contains 5 numbers which are: A (1st column) The Unix timestamp for the point in time the data on this line is relevant. Note that the interval between timestamps increases as you progress through the file. At first it is 5 minutes and at the end it is one day between two lines. This timestamp may be converted in OpenOffice Calc or MS Excel by using the following formula =(x+y)/86400+DATE(1970;1;1) (instead of ";" it may be that you have to use "," this depends on the context and your locale settings) you can also ask perl to help by typing perl -e 'print scalar localtime(x)," "' x is the unix timestamp and y is the offset in seconds from UTC. (Perl knows y). B (2nd column) The average incoming transfer rate in bytes per second. This is valid for the time between the A value of the current line and the A value of the previous line. C (3rd column) The average outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second since the previous measurement. D (4th column) The maximum incoming transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. This is calculated from all the updates which have occured in the current interval. If the current interval is 1 hour, and updates have occured every 5 minutes, it will be the biggest 5 minute transfer rate seen during the hour. E (5th column) The maximum outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. AUTHOR
Butch Kemper <kemper@bihs.net> and Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.17.4 2012-01-12 MRTG-LOGFILE(1)