Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cat a script, pipe it, then pass arguments to it? Post 302974942 by Corona688 on Monday 6th of June 2016 11:58:40 AM
Old 06-06-2016
As stated above, this is language specific and I can't answer for every single possible language.

So I can't speak for ruby, but python seems to work the same way as perl:

Code:
$ echo 'import sys; print(sys.argv[2]);' | python - a b c

b

$

Try the same for ruby and get back to me.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to a function in a shell script?

Hi, I have two shell variables $t1 and $t2 which I need to pass to a function in a shell script. The function will do some computation with those two variables and echo the resultant. But I do not know how to pass teh arguments. The function written is f1() {...... ........ } What should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: preetikate
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to pass arguments to shell script

Hi, I have a shell script called ftp.sh which is running continously in background. I tried passing arguments to this script but it did not worked out. Below is ftp.sh script. Please help me case $param in start) sleep_func "300" echo "!ksh $scr_ddir/ftp.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help to pass arguments in script

Hi, I have a my script here-- print "The Perl Script does the User health check and system health check...\n"; print "---------------------------------------------------------------------\n"; # use strict; my($OS); $OS = $^O; # need to test @ARGV before GetOptions shifts it if (@ARGV... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to pass arguments to an interactive script

Hey guys, I have an interactive script that is quite critical to our production environmentl thus updating it to run non-interactively is not an option. The script takes a varying number of arguments, which it ques untill user confirm end of data entry e.g of user input : 1 2 y ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: geek.ksa
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To pass arguments to makefile using script

Hi, I want to run a target of makfile using script by passing different arguments to it again n again. I i need to grep certain things from the log file. eg make abc KAB=8 BAC=8 >& KAB_BAC.log grep "timeA" KAB_BAC.log grep "timeB" KAB_BAC.log (i want to store the difference of the two time... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to an sftp script??

hi, Is it possible to pass arguments to a sftp script and use those arguments in the program? for example sftp_script FILENAME=$1 #!/usr/bin/expect spawn /usr/bin/sftp abc@ftp.abc.com expect "abc@ftp.abc.com's password:" send "pass\r" expect "sftp>" send "mput $FILENAME\r"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass arguments to bash script

myscript.sh #!/bin/bash ARGA=$1 if ; then echo "${ARGA}:Confirmed" else echo "${ARGA}:Unconfirmed" fi when I run the above script from the command line, i run it as: ./myscript.sh jsmith now some times, i need to runn it this way: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to an interactive script?

I've tried to find a solution to this, but I"m stumped. OS - RH Linux 5.9 I have a bash script <myProgram.sh> that gets executed manually and creates a small response file. I'm trying to automate the running of this script. When myProgram.sh runs, it prompts the user to enter 2 pieces of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass Arguments to Command from Shell Script

Hi all, I am working on a project, in which I have to connect to Bluetooth low energy device. I am able to connect and do data transfer from command line. But I want to do from script Here is my script #!/bin/bash #sudo hcitool -i hci0 lescan sleep 1 sudo hcitool -i hci0 lecc --random... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin@embdes
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function in one-linef and pass arguments in a pipe

I need to declare a function, this function will contain a script, this script cannot be in a file but must be piped. and then, for the script to run, i need to pass arguments to it. everything has to be on one line. so i'm basically looking for a one-liner here's what i'm doing: myfunc ()... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
guestfs-python(3)					      Virtualization Support						 guestfs-python(3)

NAME
guestfs-python - How to use libguestfs from Python SYNOPSIS
import guestfs g = guestfs.GuestFS () g.add_drive_opts ("disk.img", format="raw", readonly=1) g.launch () DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents how to call libguestfs from the Python programming language. This page just documents the differences from the C API and gives some examples. If you are not familiar with using libguestfs, you also need to read guestfs(3). EXCEPTIONS Errors from libguestfs functions are mapped into "RuntimeException" with a single string argument which is the error message. MORE DOCUMENTATION Type: $ python >>> import guestfs >>> help (guestfs) EXAMPLE 1: CREATE A DISK IMAGE # Example showing how to create a disk image. import os import guestfs output = "disk.img" g = guestfs.GuestFS () # Create a raw-format sparse disk image, 512 MB in size. f = open (output, "w") f.truncate (512 * 1024 * 1024) f.close () # Set the trace flag so that we can see each libguestfs call. g.set_trace (1) # Set the autosync flag so that the disk will be synchronized # automatically when the libguestfs handle is closed. g.set_autosync (1) # Attach the disk image to libguestfs. g.add_drive_opts (output, format = "raw", readonly = 0) # Run the libguestfs back-end. g.launch () # Get the list of devices. Because we only added one drive # above, we expect that this list should contain a single # element. devices = g.list_devices () assert (len (devices) == 1) # Partition the disk as one single MBR partition. g.part_disk (devices[0], "mbr") # Get the list of partitions. We expect a single element, which # is the partition we have just created. partitions = g.list_partitions () assert (len (partitions) == 1) # Create a filesystem on the partition. g.mkfs ("ext4", partitions[0]) # Now mount the filesystem so that we can add files. g.mount_options ("", partitions[0], "/") # Create some files and directories. g.touch ("/empty") message = "Hello, world " g.write ("/hello", message) g.mkdir ("/foo") # This one uploads the local file /etc/resolv.conf into # the disk image. g.upload ("/etc/resolv.conf", "/foo/resolv.conf") # Because 'autosync' was set (above) we can just close the handle # and the disk contents will be synchronized. You can also do # this manually by calling g.umount_all and g.sync. g.close () EXAMPLE 2: INSPECT A VIRTUAL MACHINE DISK IMAGE # Example showing how to inspect a virtual machine disk. import sys import guestfs assert (len (sys.argv) == 2) disk = sys.argv[1] g = guestfs.GuestFS () # Attach the disk image read-only to libguestfs. g.add_drive_opts (disk, readonly=1) # Run the libguestfs back-end. g.launch () # Ask libguestfs to inspect for operating systems. roots = g.inspect_os () if len (roots) == 0: raise (Error ("inspect_vm: no operating systems found")) for root in roots: print "Root device: %s" % root # Print basic information about the operating system. print " Product name: %s" % (g.inspect_get_product_name (root)) print " Version: %d.%d" % (g.inspect_get_major_version (root), g.inspect_get_minor_version (root)) print " Type: %s" % (g.inspect_get_type (root)) print " Distro: %s" % (g.inspect_get_distro (root)) # Mount up the disks, like guestfish -i. # # Sort keys by length, shortest first, so that we end up # mounting the filesystems in the correct order. mps = g.inspect_get_mountpoints (root) def compare (a, b): if len(a[0]) > len(b[0]): return 1 elif len(a[0]) == len(b[0]): return 0 else: return -1 mps.sort (compare) for mp_dev in mps: try: g.mount_ro (mp_dev[1], mp_dev[0]) except RuntimeError as msg: print "%s (ignored)" % msg # If /etc/issue.net file exists, print up to 3 lines. filename = "/etc/issue.net" if g.is_file (filename): print "--- %s ---" % filename lines = g.head_n (3, filename) for line in lines: print line # Unmount everything. g.umount_all () SEE ALSO
guestfs(3), guestfs-examples(3), guestfs-erlang(3), guestfs-java(3), guestfs-ocaml(3), guestfs-perl(3), guestfs-recipes(1), guestfs-ruby(3), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> The examples in this manual page may be freely copied, modified and distributed without any restrictions. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 guestfs-python(3)