Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Understanding & Monitoring CPU performance (Load vs SAR) Post 302974938 by javanoob on Monday 6th of June 2016 11:26:33 AM
Old 06-06-2016
Hi Jlliagre,

Thank you so much for your reply. Really appreciate your guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
No. The load would be 9+1 during the same 1 second when all processes compete then 0 during 9 seconds when all are idling so the average load would be 1. As you have only one core, the CPU utilization would be 10%.
Please pardon me for my ignorance, but I still did not quite get the full picture or the maths behind this.

Quote:
the load will be 9 (in queue) + 1 running during the 1st second, and 0 during the next 9 seconds.
q1) Does that means that the 10 threads/load are actually completed within the 1st second (right before the 2nd second)

Quote:
so the average load would be 1.
q2) Do you mean that the load average is calculated as an average of 1 second for the past 10 seconds ?
Hence (9+1) =10 load in the past 10 seconds ? (10load/10sec)
so its essentially 1 load / per sec, for the rest of the 60 secs/1 minute ?
--but i thought you mentioned earlier that the load is sample every 10ms and not 10 sec?

Quote:
As you have only one core, the CPU utilization would be 10%
q3) My understanding is that I have 1 cpu/core.
It was utilized 100% on the 1st second of every 10 seconds.
In 1 minute, it would be utilized 5/60 second.
So the utilization for 1 minute is 5/60 * 100 = 8%.

How does it become 10% ?
Because the CPU is fully utilized for 1 sec in every 10 second = 1/10 *100 = 10% ?

Base on the above ->
Is both
a) the cpu utilization (1sec/10sec*100)
and
b) the cpu load ( (9+1)load / 10 sec) calculated per every 10second then ?

======

Please do bear with me if i seems totally off.
Hope to hear your advice soon.

Regards,
Noob

Last edited by javanoob; 06-06-2016 at 12:34 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

sar output gives 98% idle CPU

Dear All, Our HPUX 8 GB 8CPU database server is behaving abnormally for the last 4+ weeks. I have generated a sar output and it is here- 11:46:52 %usr %sys %wio %idle 11:46:53 1 1 6 92 11:46:54 0 1 0 99 11:46:55 0 1 0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashrunil
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU utilization: sar vs ps

Any reason why the "sum of all" average cpu utilization numbers collected from ps during any given time sample are "consistently" lower than the corresponding numbers reported by sar (%usr, %sys). We have a Solaris O/S 2.8. We have been trying to correlate the CPU numbers from the sar, to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sevpert
0 Replies

3. Solaris

sar : insufficient address space to load xxxx device records

Hello, i am using Solaris 10, The sar running in my system might be corrupted, but not sure why as there has been no updates to it ( to the best of my knowledge) and it was working fine until few days back. If i try to get sar reports using sar -o <filename> 60 180 there is no error but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimi20
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & CPU Load

Deal All, I'm writing a simple awk to generate some sort of report. The awk will check 24 files (file generated each one hour in a wholoe day) and then it will print one field to another file for counting purposes. The script is working fine but the problem is that the CPU load is very high... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setup of sar command for CPU measures

I receive on a daily basis CPU measures on a UNIX Server (AIX 5.3 version, korn shell). These CPU measures are provided by Omnivision tool. We could see that Omnivision daily stats are not always equal to NMON stats regarding CPU level. On my side (I work in an IT Production Support Team, not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scofield38
0 Replies

6. SuSE

SUSE 11.4 sar monitoring not run by default.

Hi, I had installed sysstat package below on a SUSE 11.4 box. I can see the sysstat cron file listed under the directory /etc/sysstat. However, it looks like the sysstat sar monitor is never run at all and the daily sar files are not created under the directory /var/log/sa. The cron daemon is also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devtakh
1 Replies

7. AIX

Using sar to get CPU utilization for WPARs

Based on the documentation (Help - AIX 6.1 Information Center), I should be able to get the CPU utilization on a WPAR. But when I ran sar on the LPAR, I don't see the -@ option: Usage: sar { -A | } ]] ]] | ALL] ] ] I'm on AIX 6.1. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PPPP
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

One script for Linux Monitoring-free, sar, vmstat, mpstat

HI , I am wrirting a script for checking the performance monitoring on Linux System when my application is running. I have to run a test for 30 minutes on some server and while the test is running i have to capture the perfromance metrics of Linux through vmstat , sar, mpstat, free. here is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anamica
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU load in video decoding using SAR

Hi, I'm John_giova and I'm new in this Forum. Sorry my english, it's not my first language. So, I'm trying to check the CPU utlization during the video encoding and decoding (making a comparison between SW and HW ) using the SAR tool. According to a past thread I saw as CPU utilization I should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: John_giova
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Help me Solaris 10&11 cpu load average states for 24 hours report

need to capture the following data on an hourly basis without cronjob scheduling in Solaris 5.10/5.11:- 1. load averages 2. Total no. of processes. 3. CPU state 4. Memory 5. Top 3 process details. any other third-party tool is available? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoranam
7 Replies
CPUSET(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 CPUSET(3)

NAME
cpuset_create, cpuset_destroy, cpuset_zero, cpuset_set, cpuset_clr, cpuset_isset, cpuset_size -- dynamic CPU sets SYNOPSIS
#include <sched.h> cpuset_t * cpuset_create(void); void cpuset_destroy(cpuset_t *set); void cpuset_zero(cpuset_t *set); int cpuset_set(cpuid_t cpu, cpuset_t *set); int cpuset_clr(cpuid_t cpu, cpuset_t *set); int cpuset_isset(cpuid_t cpu, const cpuset_t *set); size_t cpuset_size(const cpuset_t *set); DESCRIPTION
This section describes the functions used to create, set, use and destroy the dynamic CPU sets. This API can be used with the POSIX threads, see pthread(3) and affinity(3). The ID of the primary CPU in the system is 0. FUNCTIONS
cpuset_create() Allocates and initializes a clean CPU-set. Returns the pointer to the CPU-set, or NULL on failure. cpuset_destroy(set) Destroy the CPU-set specified by set. cpuset_zero(set) Makes the CPU-set specified by set clean, that is, memory is initialized to zero bytes, and none of the CPUs set. cpuset_set(cpu, set) Sets the CPU specified by cpu in set. Returns zero on success, and -1 if cpu is invalid. cpuset_clr(cpu, set) Clears the CPU specified by cpu in the CPU-set set. Returns zero on success, and -1 if cpu is invalid. cpuset_isset(cpu, set) Checks if CPU specified by cpu is set in the CPU-set set. Returns the positive number if set, zero if not set, and -1 if cpu is invalid. cpuset_size(set) Returns the size in bytes of CPU-set specified by set. SEE ALSO
affinity(3), pset(3), sched(3), schedctl(8), kcpuset(9) HISTORY
The dynamic CPU sets appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BSD
November 2, 2011 BSD