Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check for valid hostnames
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check for valid hostnames Post 302974682 by rahul2662 on Thursday 2nd of June 2016 05:36:43 AM
Old 06-02-2016
Hello Ravinder,

Thanks for your reply. Smilie I am actually developing a script to configure hostname. The script which will ask the user for the hostname. It will check for all the conditions mentioned in my previous mail and validate if the user has entered hostname as per the correct naming convention. If the user has not adhered to the valid hostname convention then script will echo error else script will proceed and make changes specific to the hostname in the RedHat configuration files.

Thanks
Rahul

Last edited by rahul2662; 06-02-2016 at 06:42 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a valid numeric input

Hi Folks, I'm using bash script. I would like to check whether input is a number or not.(Only positive numbers).. if space or non numeric is entered, it should say "invalid input". pls help.. thanks in adv. Br/// Vijay. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check valid records in really big file with one commend..

Hi, I have a 5 gig file, no record terminators, field terminators are newline. The record length is 768 and I would like to check that every 768th byte is a newline and print out the byte position if it isn't. I would like to do this going either forward or backwards with one command if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtischuk@yahoo.
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check whether a directory or filename path is valid or not

the script on excution should take a directory path from useran a numric input and it should check indicate whether its write or not? if the cmmd sh<script-name>,dir/path.<500>" is greater than 500 in size should be copied to dir ,temp in pwd and display the mesage'files of 2000 bytes hav been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukr
4 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash shell - Check if value is valid directory.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The script usage will be as follows: library.third source_directory - Your script will display an appropriate error message and exit with status 3 if no parameters are given - Your script will display an appropriate error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check for valid password

I need to check if an account has a valid password. Would something like this work? read ACCNAME if grep -q "^$ACCNAME:\$6:" /etc/shadow; thenI noticed every entry in my shadow file that has a password starts with $6 ... it works for my current setup, but would it always work? I can't test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if file contains valid strings?

Hi All, I am a newbie...I would like to have a function which ll check if a file contains valid strings before "=" operator. Just to give you my requirement: assume my file has content: hello= gsdgsd sfdsg sgdsg sgdgdg world= gggg hhhh iiiii xxxx= pppp ppppp pppp my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtagarra
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script?

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script? The valid input is in the format like as follows. 1. It can only have r,w,x or a hyphen and nothing else. 2. ensure the r, w, x are in the correct order. for example: rwxr-xr-x is a valid format. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyeewang
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to check if an argument is valid shell variable

I need a script that should print 'yes' if the argument is a valid shell variable name else 'No' if it is not a valid shell variable. A valid one begins with an alphabet or percentage (%) character and is followed by zero or more alphanumberic or percentage (%) characters. For example: $... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingiliarjun
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a string is a valid timestamp in UNIX.

Hi all, I have date and time value in a string, I want to check if it is a valid date and time. Need help on this. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratiksha Mehra
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if time format is valid

How can I validate if time (HH:MM:SS) argument is valid? I got this from web but I can't modify it to exit the script if the time argument is invalid. echo $1 | awk -F ':' '{ print ($1 <= 23 && $2 <= 59 && $3 <= 59) ? "good" : "bad" }' ex: ./script.ksh 12:34:21 = okay ./script.ksh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
10 Replies
SSH-ARGV0(1)                                                BSD General Commands Manual                                               SSH-ARGV0(1)

NAME
ssh-argv0 -- replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling SYNOPSIS
hostname | user@hostname [-l login_name] [command] hostname | user@hostname [-afgknqstvxACNTX1246] [-b bind_address] [-c cipher_spec] [-e escape_char] [-i identity_file] [-l login_name] [-m mac_spec] [-o option] [-p port] [-F configfile] [-L port:host:hostport] [-R port:host:hostport] [-D port] [command] DESCRIPTION
ssh-argv0 replaces the old ssh command-name as hostname handling. If you link to this script with a hostname then executing the link is equivalent to having executed ssh with that hostname as an argument. All other arguments are passed to ssh and will be processed normally. OPTIONS
See ssh(1). FILES
See ssh(1). AUTHORS
OpenSSH is a derivative of the original and free ssh 1.2.12 release by Tatu Ylonen. Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos, Theo de Raadt and Dug Song removed many bugs, re-added newer features and created OpenSSH. Markus Friedl contributed the support for SSH protocol versions 1.5 and 2.0. Jonathan Amery wrote this ssh-argv0 script and the associated documentation. SEE ALSO
ssh(1) Debian Project September 7, 2001 Debian Project