Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parallelize bash commands/jobs Post 302974614 by yifangt on Wednesday 1st of June 2016 11:34:09 AM
Old 06-01-2016
Quote:
You have a basic misunderstanding here. The number of cores is mostly irrelevant here. ......What is far more of importance, is the fact, that not cpu cores matters most, but I/O capacity does.
Thank you for point this out as I was not aware of this originally.

Quote:
Furthermore an issue of I/O is the matter of fact, that especially hard drives are not faster if you spawn multiple I/O stressing tasks. ......If you spawn e. g. 12 parallel I/O stressing tasks, the head of the hard disk has to do a lot of seeking: Continuously jumping between the different locations of all 12 different processes data files. That's VERY costly regarding performance and greatly INCREASES the runtime of your script. ...... Your testcase script does not create any suprising nor relevant result because "sleep" is not creating any I/O which is what your real script does.
I think I understand the points more now with this explanation.

Quote:
The question arising is: What do you want to achieve by concatenating .gz files?
Hard to explain in short here. Those files are genomic data of different collections for each same material to get the gene expression abundance by "sequence" (string in computer term, (count number, compare to "grep "ATCG" file.rice | wc") ) at different time. They are concatenated to have summed abundance in total.

Quote:
It seems to be the best, if you go back another couple of steps and tell us what you are trying to achieve in this whole process. What do you want to do and what's your current plan to achieve your goal?
1) I was looking for the correct syntax to pipe jobs from bash-script with parallel, as I was thinking of parallel to speed up the processes, which seems not quite correct.
2) The reason for 1) is hundreds file (~10GB average size) are spread in different places but belong to single project. They must be combined to give simpler organization like usual biological experiment design.
3)
Quote:
... that you can get a lot faster towards your goal if you start riding it.
Of course I do want to ride the bicycle instead of carrying it, and my ultimate goal is to learn how to ride the bicycle, or to drive a car, as you guys are driving race cars here!
Thank you again!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use quote tags, not icode tags, when quoting other posts!

Last edited by RudiC; 06-01-2016 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Changed icode tags to quote tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

background jobs exit status and limit the number of jobs to run

i need to execute 5 jobs at a time in background and need to get the exit status of all the jobs i wrote small script below , i'm not sure this is right way to do it.any ideas please help. $cat run_job.ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh #################################### typeset -u SCHEMA_NAME=$1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

commands to be executed in order for a batch jobs!

Hi All, I am trying to run this script. I have a small problem: each "./goada.sh" command when done produces three files (file1, file2, file3) then they are moved to their respective directory as can be seem from this script snippet here. The script goada.sh sends some commands for some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizlo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

General Q: how to run/schedule a php script from cron jobs maybe via bash from shell?

Status quo is, within a web application, which is coded completely in php (not by me, I dont know php), I have to fill out several fields, and execute it manually by clicking the "go" button in my browser, several times a day. Thats because: The script itself pulls data (textfiles) from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help to parallelize work on thousands of files

I need to find a smarter way to process about 60,000 files in a single directory. Every night a script runs on each file generating a output on another directory; this used to take 5 hours, but as the data grows it is taking 7 hours. The files are of different sizes, but there are 16 cores... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vhope07
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

waiting on jobs in bash, allowing limited parallel jobs at one time, and then for all to finish

Hello, I am running GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu). I have a specific question pertaining to waiting on jobs run in sub-shells, based on the max number of parallel processes I want to allow, and then wait... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srao
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallelize a task that have for

Dear all, I'm a newbie in programming and I would like to know if it is possible to parallelize the script: for l in {1..1000} do cut -f$l quase2 |tr "\n" "," |sed 's/$/\ /g' |sed '/^$/d' >a_$l.t done I tried: for l in {1..1000} do cut -f$l quase2 |tr "\n" "," |sed 's/$/\ /g' |sed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: valente
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripts as commands

Hello, the bulk of my work is run by scripts. An example is as such: #!/bin/bash awk '{print first line}' Input.in > Intermediate.ter awk '{print second line}' Input.in > Intermediate_2.ter command Intermediate.ter Intermediate_2.ter > Output.out It works the way I want it to, but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leo_Boon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run multiple jobs and it's dependent jobs

I have multiple jobs and each job dependent on other job. Each Job generates a log and If job completed successfully log file end's with JOB ENDED SUCCESSFULLY message and if it failed then it will end with JOB ENDED with FAILURE. I need an help how to start. Attaching the JOB dependency... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: santoshkumarkal
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies