Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IP Range Assigning
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions IP Range Assigning Post 302974571 by TryllZ on Tuesday 31st of May 2016 10:50:47 PM
Old 05-31-2016
OK, not getting it, so I will try and ask in a different way.

First, which octet changes in a an IP subnet range, the network octet or the host octet ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning variables

Before I even attempt this, is it possible to grep for a pattern, maybe a partial sentence like "go to page 3", assign that to a variable and then use awk or something to pull out the 3 and assign it to a variable? So first I would have Gotopg = "go to page 3" then page = 3 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: k@ssidy
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Value of variable

Hi In my shell script, I'm trying to find the line count of a file and assign it to a variable. LINE_COUNT=$(wc -l $FILE_NAME) But when i display LINE_COUNT, i'm getting the linecount concatenated with the file name. I want only the number. How can i get the line count alone ? Someone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Assigning IP's

hi all, i want to know where i can add and IP address so when i do a "w", i can see what IP is assigned to which tty? i know in tru64 you just added an entry to /etc/hosts. this does not seem to be the case with hpux. thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: macgre_r
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning a variable

hi all, in ksh, how do i assign the output of a find command to a variable, e.g am trying something like this : totalNoFiles=$(print find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log"); but when i echo $totalNoFiles it displays find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log" instead of the total number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

can we make a global variable and store character values and add other values to that variable ?? for example a="hello, John" and can we add value ". How are you? so a can have "hello, John. How are you?" can someone help me?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print range between two patterns if it contains a pattern within the range

I want to print between the range two patterns if a particular pattern is present in between the two patterns. I am new to Unix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. e.g. Pattern1 Bombay Calcutta Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1 Patna Madras Gwalior Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
2 Replies

7. AIX

assigning ip to second nic

Hi admins i want to assign new ip adress to my aix 5.3 machine which is in LPAR ent3 Available Virtual I/O Ethernet Adapter (l-lan) ent0 Available 05-08 2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter (14108902) ent1 Available 05-09 2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter (14108902) ent2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newaix
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

Unable to get the value to a variable. set -x cd $HOME echo "Enter the server name" read a echo $a i=4 j=1 k = ps -ef | awk '/server1/{ print $4 }' | tail -$i | head -$j` echo $k When I do the same in command line it works, however the same does not work when I provide that in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

IP Range Assigning

Hi All, I'm a bit confused about assigning IP address from IP Ranges. I am using this scenario below to understand. Scenario Adatum.com an international IT solutions company, is launching 12 new branches in a new country where they currently have no existing branches. The sWin CIO has asked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TryllZ
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping a timestamp range and assigning it to a constant

Hi, I couldn't find any thing on google about it and have been trying to figure this out but am not getting anywhere. I want to know if its possible through a script. I have a file with columns start time and end time separated by a comma, basically there are some other columns which I need to... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
30 Replies
Socket6(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Socket6(3)

NAME
Socket6 - IPv6 related part of the C socket.h defines and structure manipulators SYNOPSIS
use Socket; use Socket6; @res = getaddrinfo('hishost.com', 'daytime', AF_UNSPEC, SOCK_STREAM); $family = -1; while (scalar(@res) >= 5) { ($family, $socktype, $proto, $saddr, $canonname, @res) = @res; ($host, $port) = getnameinfo($saddr, NI_NUMERICHOST | NI_NUMERICSERV); print STDERR "Trying to connect to $host port $port... "; socket(Socket_Handle, $family, $socktype, $proto) || next; connect(Socket_Handle, $saddr) && last; close(Socket_Handle); $family = -1; } if ($family != -1) { print STDERR "connected to $host port $port "; } else { die "connect attempt failed "; } DESCRIPTION
This module provides glue routines to the various IPv6 functions. If you use the Socket6 module, be sure to specify "use Socket" as well as "use Socket6". Functions supplied are: inet_pton FAMILY, TEXT_ADDRESS This function takes an IP address in presentation (or string) format and converts it into numeric (or binary) format. The type of IP address conversion (IPv4 versus IPv6) is controlled by the FAMILY argument. inet_ntop FAMILY, BINARY_ADDRESS This function takes an IP address in numeric (or binary) format and converts it into presentation (or string) format The type of IP address conversion (IPv4 versus IPv6) is controlled by the FAMILY argument. pack_sockaddr_in6 PORT, ADDR This function takes two arguments: a port number, and a 16-octet IPv6 address structure (as returned by inet_pton()). It returns the sockaddr_in6 structure with these arguments packed into their correct fields, as well as the AF_INET6 family. The other fields are not set and their values should not be relied upon. pack_sockaddr_in6_all PORT, FLOWINFO, ADDR, SCOPEID This function takes four arguments: a port number, a 16-octet IPv6 address structure (as returned by inet_pton), any special flow information, and any specific scope information. It returns a complete sockaddr_in6 structure with these arguments packed into their correct fields, as well as the AF_INET6 family. unpack_sockaddr_in6 NAME This function takes a sockaddr_in6 structure (as returned by pack_sockaddr_in6()) and returns a list of two elements: the port number and the 16-octet IP address. This function will croak if it determines it has not been passed an IPv6 structure. unpack_sockaddr_in6_all NAME This function takes a sockaddr_in6 structure (as returned by pack_sockaddr_in6()) and returns a list of four elements: the port number, the flow information, the 16-octet IP address, and the scope information. This function will croak if it determines it has not been passed an IPv6 structure. gethostbyname2 HOSTNAME, FAMILY getaddrinfo NODENAME, SERVICENAME, [FAMILY, SOCKTYPE, PROTOCOL, FLAGS] This function converts node names to addresses and service names to port numbers. If the NODENAME argument is not a false value, then a nodename to address lookup is performed; otherwise a service name to port number lookup is performed. At least one of NODENAME and SERVICENAME must have a true value. If the lookup is successful, a list consisting of multiples of five elements is returned. Each group of five elements consists of the address family, socket type, protocol, 16-octet IP address, and the canonical name (undef if the node name passed is already the canonical name). The arguments FAMILY, SOCKTYPE, PROTOCOL, and FLAGS are all optional. This function will croak if it determines it has not been passed an IPv6 structure. If the lookup is unsuccessful, the function returns a single scalar. This will contain the string version of that error in string context, and the numeric value in numeric context. getnameinfo NAME, [FLAGS] This function takes a socket address structure. If successful, it returns two strings containing the node name and service name. The optional FLAGS argument controls what kind of lookup is performed. If the lookup is unsuccessful, the function returns a single scalar. This will contain the string version of that error in string context, and the numeric value in numeric context. getipnodebyname HOST, [FAMILY, FLAGS] This function takes either a node name or an IP address string and performs a lookup on that name (or conversion of the string). It returns a list of five elements: the canonical host name, the address family, the length in octets of the IP addresses returned, a reference to a list of IP address structures, and a reference to a list of aliases for the host name. The arguments FAMILY and FLAGS are optional. Note: This function does not handle IPv6 scope identifiers, and should be used with care. And, this function was deprecated in RFC3493. The getnameinfo function should be used instead. getipnodebyaddr FAMILY, ADDRESS This function takes an IP address family and an IP address structure and performs a reverse lookup on that address. It returns a list of five elements: the canonical host name, the address family, the length in octets of the IP addresses returned, a reference to a list of IP address structures, and a reference to a list of aliases for the host name. Note: This function does not handle IPv6 scope identifiers, and should be used with care. And, this function was deprecated in RFC3493. The getaddrinfo function should be used instead. gai_strerror ERROR_NUMBER This function returns a string corresponding to the error number passed in as an argument. in6addr_any This function returns the 16-octet wildcard address. in6addr_loopback This function returns the 16-octet loopback address. perl v5.18.2 2013-12-08 Socket6(3)