Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Find and replace a string in a text file Post 302974482 by RudiC on Tuesday 31st of May 2016 04:59:56 AM
Old 05-31-2016
Fully seconding what Aia said, for your quite simple request, *nix has
Code:
tr ',' '\t' <input.txt >TMP && mv TMP input.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can search a String in one text file and replace the whole line in another file

i am very new to UNIX plz help me in this scenario i have two text files as below file1.txt name=Rajakumar. Discipline=Electronics and communication. Designation=software Engineer. file2.txt name=Kannan. Discipline=Mechanical. Designation=CADD Design Engineer. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace string from file which contains variable and path - SH

e.g. /home/$USER/.config replace it with "" (empty) Is this possible? I think you should play a bit with sharps ## and sed:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find text containing paths and replace with a string in all the python files

I have 100+ python files in a single directory. I need to replace a specific path occurrence with a variable name. Following are the find and the replace strings: Findstring--"projects\\Debugger\\debugger_dp8051_01\\debugger_dp8051_01.cywrk" Replacestring--self.projpath I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorsam
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find from file and replace with specific text

Dear All, I do not have any knowledge of scripting. I want to replace specific lines of a text file with a specific text. Like I have one file which is "original file" and one file "changes file" which has list of lines which I want to replace in original file with a specific string. I want the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: libras
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find and replace the line in text file

I have two files a.txt b.txt I want to find a line in a.txt and replace by another line from b.txt a.txt asfsdfsfsfdfsf asfwererfgdgf wrerwetretfdg b.txt werdfgdfgf werergfdgd sfdfgfgfgfgg i want to replace the 1st line of a.txt by 1st line of b.txt i want out put as (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammm
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string and replace with string in other file

Dear all, I need your help, I have file like this: file1:23456 01910964830098775635 34567 01942809546554654323 67589 26546854368698023653 09778 58716868568576876878 08675 86178546154065406546 08573 54165843543054354305 . .file2: 23456 25 34567 26 67589 27 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace string based on entries on another file

I have a file1 with different with multiple fields and records File2 has 2 fields. I want to find and replace strings in file1 based on file2 values (I Want an exact match i.e. for example: when searching for DT:3, Substr of DT:34 should not be matched) File2: DT:3 foo_err DT:34 bar_frr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find replace text in xml file on the fly

Dear Unix guru, I have a .XML file which is being used to load data to oracle. This file comes on unix box and one of the tag in xml is oracle key word. I want to find that tag and replace with new tag on the fly For example I will get one of the tag in xml is as below <from>Test Test... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
12 Replies
URI::Find(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    URI::Find(3pm)

NAME
URI::Find - Find URIs in arbitrary text SYNOPSIS
require URI::Find; my $finder = URI::Find->new(&callback); $how_many_found = $finder->find($text); DESCRIPTION
This module does one thing: Finds URIs and URLs in plain text. It finds them quickly and it finds them all (or what URI::URL considers a URI to be.) It only finds URIs which include a scheme (http:// or the like), for something a bit less strict have a look at URI::Find::Schemeless. For a command-line interface, urifind is provided. Public Methods new my $finder = URI::Find->new(&callback); Creates a new URI::Find object. &callback is a function which is called on each URI found. It is passed two arguments, the first is a URI::URL object representing the URI found. The second is the original text of the URI found. The return value of the callback will replace the original URI in the text. find my $how_many_found = $finder->find($text); $text is a string to search and possibly modify with your callback. Alternatively, "find" can be called with a replacement function for the rest of the text: use CGI qw(escapeHTML); # ... my $how_many_found = $finder->find($text, &escapeHTML); will not only call the callback function for every URL found (and perform the replacement instructions therein), but also run the rest of the text through "escapeHTML()". This makes it easier to turn plain text which contains URLs into HTML (see example below). Protected Methods I got a bunch of mail from people asking if I'd add certain features to URI::Find. Most wanted the search to be less restrictive, do more heuristics, etc... Since many of the requests were contradictory, I'm letting people create their own custom subclasses to do what they want. The following are methods internal to URI::Find which a subclass can override to change the way URI::Find acts. They are only to be called inside a URI::Find subclass. Users of this module are NOT to use these methods. uri_re my $uri_re = $self->uri_re; Returns the regex for finding absolute, schemed URIs (http://www.foo.com and such). This, combined with schemeless_uri_re() is what finds candidate URIs. Usually this method does not have to be overridden. schemeless_uri_re my $schemeless_re = $self->schemeless_uri_re; Returns the regex for finding schemeless URIs (www.foo.com and such) and other things which might be URIs. By default this will match nothing (though it used to try to find schemeless URIs which started with "www" and "ftp"). Many people will want to override this method. See URI::Find::Schemeless for a subclass does a reasonable job of finding URIs which might be missing the scheme. uric_set my $uric_set = $self->uric_set; Returns a set matching the 'uric' set defined in RFC 2396 suitable for putting into a character set ([]) in a regex. You almost never have to override this. cruft_set my $cruft_set = $self->cruft_set; Returns a set of characters which are considered garbage. Used by decruft(). decruft my $uri = $self->decruft($uri); Sometimes garbage characters like periods and parenthesis get accidentally matched along with the URI. In order for the URI to be properly identified, it must sometimes be "decrufted", the garbage characters stripped. This method takes a candidate URI and strips off any cruft it finds. recruft my $uri = $self->recruft($uri); This method puts back the cruft taken off with decruft(). This is necessary because the cruft is destructively removed from the string before invoking the user's callback, so it has to be put back afterwards. schemeless_to_schemed my $schemed_uri = $self->schemeless_to_schemed($schemeless_uri); This takes a schemeless URI and returns an absolute, schemed URI. The standard implementation supplies ftp:// for URIs which start with ftp., and http:// otherwise. is_schemed $obj->is_schemed($uri); Returns whether or not the given URI is schemed or schemeless. True for schemed, false for schemeless. badinvo __PACKAGE__->badinvo($extra_levels, $msg) This is used to complain about bogus subroutine/method invocations. The args are optional. Old Functions The old find_uri() function is still around and it works, but its deprecated. EXAMPLES
Store a list of all URIs (normalized) in the document. my @uris; my $finder = URI::Find->new(sub { my($uri) = shift; push @uris, $uri; }); $finder->find($text); Print the original URI text found and the normalized representation. my $finder = URI::Find->new(sub { my($uri, $orig_uri) = @_; print "The text '$orig_uri' represents '$uri' "; return $orig_uri; }); $finder->find($text); Check each URI in document to see if it exists. use LWP::Simple; my $finder = URI::Find->new(sub { my($uri, $orig_uri) = @_; if( head $uri ) { print "$orig_uri is okay "; } else { print "$orig_uri cannot be found "; } return $orig_uri; }); $finder->find($text); Turn plain text into HTML, with each URI found wrapped in an HTML anchor. use CGI qw(escapeHTML); use URI::Find; my $finder = URI::Find->new(sub { my($uri, $orig_uri) = @_; return qq|<a href="$uri">$orig_uri</a>|; }); $finder->find($text, &escapeHTML); print "<pre>$text</pre>"; NOTES
Will not find URLs with Internationalized Domain Names or pretty much any non-ascii stuff in them. See <http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=44226> AUTHOR
Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com> with insight from Uri Gutman, Greg Bacon, Jeff Pinyan, Roderick Schertler and others. Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> maintained versions 0.11 to 0.16. Darren Chamberlain wrote urifind. LICENSE
Copyright 2000, 2009-2010 by Michael G Schwern <schwern@pobox.com>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perlfoundation.org/artistic_license_1_0 SEE ALSO
urifind, URI::Find::Schemeless, URI::URL, URI, RFC 3986 Appendix C perl v5.14.2 2012-04-08 URI::Find(3pm)