Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX Shell Scripting (Solaris) for File Checking Post 302974395 by daveaztig14 on Monday 30th of May 2016 03:52:02 AM
Old 05-30-2016
Wrench UNIX Shell Scripting (Solaris) for File Checking

Hi guys,

I'm sorry but i badly need your help. I am assigned to do a basic shell script in my job but sadly i don't have any idea on what it is because i am an electronics engineer, but i googled all of it, ask my friends but i cant finalize my scripts. so do please help me.

The requirement is i hve to do a shell script in unix solaris that will check invalid files in the directory. when there is an invalid file. it will echo "there is an invalid file in this directory(=the directory itself) please see dummyevents.log." then is no invalid file there. it will echo"there is no invalid file in this directory(=the directory itself)". then it will not produce dummyevents.log

how will you knwo that it is invalid file? ihave list of words like. if there is no "apple" word inside the file in the directory. it is invalid.

i hope you understand guys. and please see below draft of my scripts.

Code:
apple_DIR=/home/cfg/dirAPPLE.cfg
banana_DIR=/home/cfg/dirBANANA.cfg
orange_DIR=/home/cfg/dirORANGE.cfg
RESULT=/home/
apple_file=`cat $APPLE_DIR`
banana_file=`cat $BANANA_DIR`
orange_file=`cat $ORANGE_DIR`
#apple
for a in $apple_file
    do 
	cd $a
	touch Statuscheck.tmp
	ls -lrt | grep -l apple > Statuscheck.tmp
    FILE=`cat Statuscheck.tmp | wc -l`
    if [ $FILE -ne 0 ]
	then
	   echo "Invalid file in $a directory" > $RESULT/dummyevents.log
    fi
    rm Statuscheck.tmp
    done
#banana
for b in $banana_file
    do 
	cd $b
	touch Statuscheck.tmp
	ls -lrt | grep -l banana > Statuscheck.tmp
    if [ $FILE -ne 0 ]
	then
	   echo "Invalid file in $b directory" > $RESULT/dummyevents.log
    fi
    rm Statuscheck.tmp
    done
#orange
for c in $orange_file
    do 
	cd $c
	touch Statuscheck.tmp
	ls -lrt | grep -l orange > Statuscheck.tmp
    if [ $FILE -ne 0 ]
	then
	   echo "Invalid file in $c directory" > $RESULT/dummyevents.log
    fi
    rm Statuscheck.tmp
    done

Last edited by Don Cragun; 05-30-2016 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: Add missing CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

2. AIX

Unix shell scripting to find latest file having timestamp embedded...

Hi guys, I have a directory in UNIX having files with the below format, i need to pickup the latest file having recent timestamp embedded on it, then need to rename it to a standard file name. Below is the file format: filename_yyyymmdd.csv, i need to pick the latest and move it with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik25
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to check the file existence using shell scripting in Solaris-10

Hi, I have a script which will check the fiel existence, the lines are as below if !(test -d ./data) then mkdir data fi In the first line error occurs as below generatelicense.sh: syntax error at line 2: `!' unexpected Where as this script works fine in linux OS. How to solve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krevathi1912
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting -- update employees not present in input file

ALL, My shell script takes a employee file as input. I have to identify the list of employees not in the input file and update their status in the database. Approach I followed: by traversing through the input file add all the emplid's to a variable. update the status of employees not in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailussr
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

C Shell Scripting - HELP! - checking total args in a script

Hi, I 'm trying to learn the scripting language and am trying to create a script to open a C Program, allow the user to edit it, and then run it. What I have works but only when you enter the name to be compiled and the c program, but what if you only entered the 1 argument (cprogram.c) ? but I 'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: patel_ankz
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

generate tabular output from an input text file in unix shell scripting

Hi, I have the output (as below) which i want it to be in a table. For e.g. space utilization in PSE on path /logs is 0% space utilization in PSE on path /logs/tuxedo/tuxlsp is 16% space utilization in PSE on path /ldvarlsp/lsp/log is 37% space utilization in PSE on path /home is 6%... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkbond
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for file read option in Unix shell scripting

Hi Friends, I would like to read all the record from one txt file to other file txt For example I have two txt file a.txt and b.txt. I need to read a.txt record by record and I need add the system date @ end of each record before moving it to b.txt. Could you please share the coding for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinoth124
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add trailer record at the end of the flat file in the unix ksh shell scripting?

Hi, How to add trailer record at the end of the flat file in the unix ksh shell scripting can you please let me know the procedure Regards Srikanth (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris Shell Scripting

Hi, Want to know, is there any way to restrict a Solaris user to Single Login. Means a particular user can login once and if he or someone else tries to login with his ID then a message displayed "user already logged in" and denies his attempt. Regard, Jeet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CountJeet
1 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)