Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Which UNIX OS is going to give me the most versatility? I Want Total Control Post 302974359 by TheOuterLinux on Sunday 29th of May 2016 03:25:42 AM
Old 05-29-2016
Creating your own distro with OpenSUSE would give you the most control because finding specific packages (RPM) is much easier. However, Xubuntu would give you less headaches and because it's Ubuntu based, you'd have better supported packages to work with and something that doesn't ask too much from your computer. Most copy and paste to terminal guides are based on Ubuntu these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This User Gave Thanks to TheOuterLinux For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix System Total Replication

Is there any way to totally replicate a unix system from one hardisk to another? And be able to swap the hardisk and restart the system without any error? TQ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuraman
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

How should I know the total RAM available on UNIX

Hi How Should I know the Total RAM available on HP-UX box? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skull123
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep running total/ final total across multiple files

Ok, another fun hiccup in my UNIX learning curve. I am trying to count the number of occurrences of an IP address across multiple files named example.hits. I can extract the number of occurrences from the files individually but when you use grep -c with multiple files you get the output similar to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrAd
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

6. Programming

Please give me some advise to program for unix/linux using c/c++?

I have a good foundation of c++.I want to learn to program for linux/unix,can you give me some advises,for example classic books ,which operating system is used better(freebsd,solaris,federal linux.etc),and which aspects uses mostly in job.Can you give me clear direction for working or learning. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fengshuiyue
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For SFTP connection - How to give password in UNIX Script (ksh)

Hi, I am not able to give the password in Unix script for SFTP connection. When I am trying to manully SFTP command for accessing the server , it asking for pwd and I could provide the pwd but I am not getting how to provide the pwd inside the Unix script. sftp -v user@xyz.com. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vineeta Nigam
4 Replies
package-cleanup(1)														package-cleanup(1)

NAME
package-cleanup - clean up locally installed, duplicate, or orphaned packages SYNOPSIS
package-cleanup [options] <item ...> DESCRIPTION
package-cleanup is a program for cleaning up the locally-installed RPMs. GENERAL OPTIONS
-c <config file> Use alternative config file (default is /etc/yum.conf). -h, --help Help; display a help message and then quit. -q, --quiet Print out nothing unnecessary. -v, --version Report program version and exit. -y Agree to anything asked. --leaves List leaf nodes in the local RPM database. Leaf nodes are RPMs that are not relied upon by any other RPM. --orphans List installed packages which are not available from currently configured repositories. This is identical to "yum list extras", which may provide better output. --oldkernels Remove old kernel and kernel-devel packages. --problems List dependency problems in the local RPM database. If any problems are found it will exit with an exit code of 1. --dupes Scan for duplicates in the local RPM database. --cleandupes Scan for duplicates in the local RPM database and clean out the older versions. --count <COUNT> Number of duplicate/kernel packages to keep on the system (default 2) LEAVES OPTIONS
--all When listing leaf nodes also list leaf nodes that are not libraries. --leaf-regex A package name that matches this regular expression will be considered a leaf. --exclude-devel When listing leaf nodes do not list development packages. --exclude-bin When listing leaf nodes do not list packages with files in bin directories. OLDKERNELS OPTIONS
--keepdevel Do not remove kernel-devel packages when removing kernels EXAMPLES
List all dependency problems: package-cleanup --problems List all packages that are not in any Yum repository: package-cleanup --orphans Remove old kernels keeping 3 and leaving old kernel-devel packages installed: package-cleanup --oldkernels --count=3 --keepdevel List all leaf packages with no files in a bin directory whose name begins with either 'perl' or 'python': package-cleanup --leaves --exclude-bin --leaf-regex="^(perl)|(python)" FILES
As package-cleanup uses YUM libraries for retrieving all the information, it relies on YUM configuration for its default values like which repositories to use. Consult YUM documentation for details: /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum/repos.d/ /var/cache/yum/ SEE ALSO
yum.conf (5) http://yum.baseurl.org/ AUTHORS
See the Authors file included with this program. BUGS
There are of course no bugs, but should you find any, you should first consult the FAQ section on http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/Faq and if unsuccessful in finding a resolution contact the mailing list: yum-devel@lists.baseurl.org. To file a bug use http://bugzilla.redhat.com for Fedora/RHEL/Centos related bugs and http://yum.baseurl.org/report for all other bugs. Gijs Hollestelle 03 November 2005 package-cleanup(1)