Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to remove field and match strings to add text Post 302974353 by Don Cragun on Saturday 28th of May 2016 09:06:46 PM
Old 05-28-2016
You say fields are <tab> delimited, but there are absolutely no <tab> characters in any of your sample inputs and outputs. In your sample inputs and outputs, the field delimiter is four adjacent <space> characters and some fields in addition contain some single space characters. Using the exact contents of what you provided in post #1 in this thread for file1 and file2 contents, the script I suggested produced the exact output that you said you wanted for the 1st, 2nd, and 4th output lines. The output my script put out exactly four <space> characters before the four single-<space> separated strings added to the end of the 3rd line where the output you said you wanted had five spaces instead of four at that location.

If your real data is <tab> separated instead of 4 adjacent <space> character separated as in the data you showed us, change the following two lines in the script I suggested:
Code:
BEGIN {	OFS = "    "
	and
1' file2 FS='    ' file1

to:
Code:
BEGIN {	OFS = "\t"
	and
1' file2 FS='\t' file1

respectively.
Note that this will put out a <tab> (not a <space>) before the four <space> separated strings are used to replace the "OtherInfo" data. And, as requested in post #1 in this thread, the "OtherInfo" heading field will be retained; not discarded.

If this is not what you want, please post sample inputs and outputs that match the description of the real data you are processing.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Carriage returns between strings in a field

Is there any way to remove carriage retuns between the records? We have input records separated by TABS and have carriage returns as below: 123 456 789 ABC "1952.00" 678 "abcdef ghik lmno" Above we... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheepi
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed to add field in a text file

Hi there, I have a csv file with some columns comma sepated like this : 4502-17,PETER,ITA2,LEGUE,92,ME - HALF,23/05/10 15:00 4502-18,CARL,ITA2,LEGUE,96,ME - HALF,20/01/09 14:00 4502-19,OTTO,ITA2,LEGUE,97,ME - MARY,23/05/10 15:00 As you can see the column n. 7 is a timestamp column, I need... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnino
23 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse field and include the text of 1 pipe in field 4

I am trying to parse the input in awk to include the |gc= in $4 but am not able to. The below is close: awk so far: awk '{sub(/\|]+]++/, ""); print }' input.txt Input chr1 955543 955763 AGRN-6|pr=2|gc=75 0 + chr1 957571 957852 AGRN-7|pr=3|gc=61.2 0 + chr1 970621 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to remove lines from file that match text

I am trying to remove each line in which $2 is FP or RFP. I believe the below will remove one instance but not both. Thank you :). file 12 123 FP 11 10 RFP awk awk -F'\t' ' $2 != "FP"' file desired output 12 11 (6 Replies)
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to match field between two files and use conditions on match

I am trying to look for $2 of file1 (skipping the header) in $2 of file2 (skipping the header) and if they match and the value in $10 is > 30 and $11 is > 49, then print the line from file1 to a output file. If no match is foung the line is not printed. Both the input and output are tab-delimited.... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add text to matching pattern in field

In the awk I am trying to add :p.=? to the end of each $9 that matches the pattern NM_. The below executes andis close but I can not seem to figure out why the :p.=? repeats in the split as in the green in the current output. I have added comments as well. Thank you :). file ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print text in field if match and range is met

In the awk below I am trying to match the value in $4 of file1 with the split value from $4 in file2. I store the value of $4 in file1 in A and the split value (using the _ for the split) in array. I then strore the value in $2 as min, the value in $3 as max, and the value in $1 as chr. If A is... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /etc/passwd | join -t: -1 1 -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to the /etc/passwd file, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of /adm/users is given in passwd(5); bdays con- tains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </etc/passwd | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)