Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ambiguos Redirect Error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ambiguos Redirect Error Post 302974178 by RudiC on Thursday 26th of May 2016 06:24:15 AM
Old 05-26-2016
What's above string after variable's expansion?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to redirect error message?

Hi, I was trying to cat some files but not all of them exist. I would get some messages like below: cat: cannot open /mil2_usr1/time_logs/investigator/6334 cat: cannot open /mil3_usr1/time_logs/investigator/6334 cat: cannot open /mil3_usr1/time_logs/investigator/6352 I don't want to see... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ping: redirect output and error

Hi, I use this function (now modified with elif) for check if a pc is up: check_pc() { $PING $PC 1 2> /dev/null if ; then check_dir #Other function echo "Begin backup operation for $PC" echo "$SMBTAR -s $PC -u $USER -p $PASS -x $SHARE$EXCL -t - | gzip -c >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbarberis
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect standard error into log file

Hi, I am new in shell scripting. Can anyone point out what wrong of below script. If I want the error output to "sqlerror.log" and database pool data output to "bulk_main.dat". Right now, the below script, if successful execute, the data will output to bulk_main.dat && sqlerror.log both... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: epall
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How redirect output(error and normal) to 2 different files

Hello, I have a java program which i am calling in shell script. I wanted to redirect output to 2 differetn files. Output should have both 1 & 2 (normal and error) in both file. pls help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balareddy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] redirect standard error and use it inside

Hi all, Maybe my question is too simple but till now i couldn't figure about a solution :( I have a bash script scheduled in cron: <cron time parameters> my_script.sh > result.log 2>&1 By this way i can have standard output and standard error in my result.log file Now i want my script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pescator
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous output redirect error

Hi everyone, While I was trying to do DATE=`date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M%S"` STARTLOG=$TUXSTDDIR/start_$DATE.log tmboot -y > $STARTLOG 2>&1 I got an error i.e. Ambiguous output redirect error. Here the first part is to boot the account so there is nothing wrong with that.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Output and Error in 2 different files

hi, i want to redirect my output & error if generated to two different files. I have written the code for redirecting the output, i dnt have ne idea how to go abt it for errors. I tried spooling which was given in one of the threads on this forum.But it didn't work.The script i wrote as a lot... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ambiguous redirect error

This script has ambiguous redirect error. ... cd $HOME cd folder/work # search all subfolders in work directory find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read directory do CUR_FOLDER="${directory#"./"}" cd $CUR_FOLDER chmod 644 * for ff in *; do if ; then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyme
5 Replies

9. Linux

Ambiguous redirect error and syntax error when using on multiple files

Hi, I need help on following linux bash script. When I linux commands for loop or while loop on individual file it runs great. but now I want the script to run on N number of files so it gives me ambiguous redirect error on line 12 and syntax error on line 22 : (pls help ); #!/bin/bash #... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhusudan Das
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to solve ambigious redirect error?

hi all, i had the below script filename = /osa/data1/output.txt printf '%27s%53s\n' ' CURRENT DATE' 26-08-2014 >> $filename iam getting the ambigiuos redirect error in the 2nd line of the code...please guide me regards, vasa saikumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
3 Replies
WORDEXP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							WORDEXP(3)

NAME
wordexp, wordfree - perform word expansion like a posix-shell SYNOPSIS
#include <wordexp.h> int wordexp(const char *s, wordexp_t *p, int flags); void wordfree(wordexp_t *p); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): wordexp(), wordfree(): _XOPEN_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The function wordexp() performs a shell-like expansion of the string s and returns the result in the structure pointed to by p. The data type wordexp_t is a structure that at least has the fields we_wordc, we_wordv, and we_offs. The field we_wordc is a size_t that gives the number of words in the expansion of s. The field we_wordv is a char ** that points to the array of words found. The field we_offs of type size_t is sometimes (depending on flags, see below) used to indicate the number of initial elements in the we_wordv array that should be filled with NULLs. The function wordfree() frees the allocated memory again. More precisely, it does not free its argument, but it frees the array we_wordv and the strings that points to. The string argument Since the expansion is the same as the expansion by the shell (see sh(1)) of the parameters to a command, the string s must not contain characters that would be illegal in shell command parameters. In particular, there must not be any unescaped newline or |, &, ;, <, >, (, ), {, } characters outside a command substitution or parameter substitution context. If the argument s contains a word that starts with an unquoted comment character #, then it is unspecified whether that word and all fol- lowing words are ignored, or the # is treated as a non-comment character. The expansion The expansion done consists of the following stages: tilde expansion (replacing ~user by user's home directory), variable substitution (replacing $FOO by the value of the environment variable FOO), command substitution (replacing $(command) or `command` by the output of command), arithmetic expansion, field splitting, wildcard expansion, quote removal. The result of expansion of special parameters ($@, $*, $#, $?, $-, $$, $!, $0) is unspecified. Field splitting is done using the environment variable $IFS. If it is not set, the field separators are space, tab and newline. The output array The array we_wordv contains the words found, followed by a NULL. The flags argument The flag argument is a bitwise inclusive OR of the following values: WRDE_APPEND Append the words found to the array resulting from a previous call. WRDE_DOOFFS Insert we_offs initial NULLs in the array we_wordv. (These are not counted in the returned we_wordc.) WRDE_NOCMD Don't do command substitution. WRDE_REUSE The argument p resulted from a previous call to wordexp(), and wordfree() was not called. Reuse the allocated storage. WRDE_SHOWERR Normally during command substitution stderr is redirected to /dev/null. This flag specifies that stderr is not to be redirected. WRDE_UNDEF Consider it an error if an undefined shell variable is expanded. RETURN VALUE
In case of success 0 is returned. In case of error one of the following five values is returned. WRDE_BADCHAR Illegal occurrence of newline or one of |, &, ;, <, >, (, ), {, }. WRDE_BADVAL An undefined shell variable was referenced, and the WRDE_UNDEF flag told us to consider this an error. WRDE_CMDSUB Command substitution occurred, and the WRDE_NOCMD flag told us to consider this an error. WRDE_NOSPACE Out of memory. WRDE_SYNTAX Shell syntax error, such as unbalanced parentheses or unmatched quotes. VERSIONS
wordexp() and wordfree() are provided in glibc since version 2.1. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. EXAMPLE
The output of the following example program is approximately that of "ls [a-c]*.c". #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <wordexp.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { wordexp_t p; char **w; int i; wordexp("[a-c]*.c", &p, 0); w = p.we_wordv; for (i = 0; i < p.we_wordc; i++) printf("%s ", w[i]); wordfree(&p); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
fnmatch(3), glob(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2008-07-14 WORDEXP(3)