Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replace string and create new file multiple times Post 302974096 by pseudo.seppuku on Wednesday 25th of May 2016 02:19:55 PM
Old 05-25-2016
Sorry, the first comment (regarding prefixes) was referring to RudiC's script.

I only just started fiddling with Linux recently so that's good to know.

However, what I meant about your script was that it only creates a single new file (file001 with string 001 -> file002 with string 002). I need this done a few hundred times, until file300 with string 300.

Last edited by pseudo.seppuku; 05-25-2016 at 03:31 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append some text to a file multiple times

Hi, I have a text file like Version=abc Tab=1 URL GOTO=www.abc.com/board=1 some text... I want to run a loop x no of times and append to the text file above text but URL GOTO should be www.abc.com/board=2 then 3,4...etc till x. Kindly help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a string with contents of a txt file containing multiple lines of strings

Hello everyone, ive been trying to replace a string "kw01" in an xml file with the contents of a txt file having multiple lines. im a unix newbie and all the sed combinations i tried resulted to being garbled. Below is the contents of the txt file: RAISEDATTIME --------------------... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find string multiple times, same line

Hi everybody, Fairly simple question here: I need an awk, sed, or grep command that will find the same string multiple times on one line needs to return all lines which contain .02 twice. I do know the exact number of characters in between the two occurrences of .02 if that helps, all... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if the same file exists multiple times?

Hi Team , Is there a way I can check to see if the same file say , test.dat exists multiple times in the directory path ? Please help. Thanks Megha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed replace using same pattern repeating multiple times in a line

Sed replace using same pattern repeating multiple times in a line I have text like below in a file: I am trying to replace the above line to following How can I acheive this? I am able to do it if the occurrence is for 1 time: But If I try like below I am getting like this: I have to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wanted to replace string in an .xlsx file in multiple ZIP Files

Hi , I am having a ZIP file containing an .xlsx file . Now i wanted to replace "GJ" to blank in the .xlsx file . I tried using the below code but not working , Please guide : #!/bin/bash log="/home/srikant/scripts/replacescriptFHO.log" date > $log echo "" >> $log echo initiating for FHO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vipinmaster
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace one value which occurs multiple times

Hi, My Input File : "MN.1.2.1.2.14.1.1" := "MN_13_TM_4" ( 000000110110100100110001111110110110101110101001100111110100011010110111001 ) "MOS.1.2.1.2.13.6.2" := "MOS_13_TM_4" ( 000000110110100100110001111110110110101110101001100111110100011010110111001 ) Like above template,I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Chandra
4 Replies
RPL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    RPL(1)

NAME
rpl -- replace strings in files SYNOPSIS
rpl [-LhiwbqvsRepfdt] [-xSUFFIX] <old_string> <new_string> <target_file ...> DESCRIPTION
Basic usage is to specify two strings and one or more filenames or directories on the command line. The first string is the string to replace, and the second string is the replacement string. -h, --help A short help text. -L, --license Show the license and exit. -xSUFFIX Search only files ending with SUFFIX, e.g. ``.txt''. May be specified multiple times. -i, --ignore-case Ignore the case of old_string. -w, --whole-words Make old_string match only on word boundaries. -b, --backup Move the original files to filename~ before replacing them. -q, --quiet Quiet mode. -v, --verbose Verbose mode. -s, --dry-run Simulation mode, no files are changed. -R, --recursive Recurse into subdirectories. -e, --escape Expand escape sequences in old_string and new_string. Examples of escape sequences are ' ' (new-line), ' ' (tab), 'x42' (hexadec- imal number 42), '33' (octal number 033). -p, --prompt Prompt for confirmation before replacing each file. -f, --force Ignore errors when trying to restore permissions and file ownership. -d, --keep-times Keep modification times when replacing files. -t, --use-tmpdir Use a temporary directory for storing temporary files, usually the value of the environment variable TMPDIR. The default is to put temporary files in the same directory as the file being modified. -a, --all Do not ignore files and directories starting with . IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
An effort has been made to make the program behave as much as the original rpl as necessary. Where it has been possible to make improve- ments, improvements have been made. This implementation lacks many of the bugs in the original. EXAMPLES
Replace all occurences of ``F'' (on word boundaries) with ``A'' in all text files under the grades/ directory: $ rpl -Rwd -x'.txt' 'F' 'A' grades/ SEE ALSO
find(1), sed(1). HISTORY
This program was written for Debian as a free replacement for the non-free rpl program by Joe Laffey. AUTHORS
Goran Weinholt <weinholt@debian.org>. Debian July 31, 2005 Debian