Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FreeBSD vs CentOS as server
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers FreeBSD vs CentOS as server Post 302973549 by jwz104 on Wednesday 18th of May 2016 04:17:35 PM
Old 05-18-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
This is perhaps more personal taste or biad than anything else. Regarding FreeBSD or BSD in general: some say that BSD is the salt of the earth - and some say the same about SystemV. Most Unices are "best of both worlds" (with varying definitions of "best") and Linux - in general - is farther up the "BSD-side" than some others (AIX for instance). But if you like BSD or SystemV (or one of their descendants) more of find one of them "harder" than the other is about as easily to answer as "is summer or winter better"?

Therefore we stay away from such discussions as a rule here, acknowledging that both sides have their merits.

I hope that helps.

bakunin
Thanks for this answer, I know that there are a lot of people fan of one OS.

I think I am going to switch to FreeBSD just to try it out.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

CentOS Live Server Migration?

Hello, everyone. I've been lurking on this forum for a while but have never needed to post asking for a bit of help until now. Long story short, I have a test of sorts scheduled with a prospective employer, a managed web hosting company, that involves migrating a hypothetical customer from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deputy Cartman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mail server in centos!!

Hi all!! 1. I am totally new to Mail server but now in our management decided to run own mail server, still now we are running our mail server using godaddy!! if we transfer all mail accounts to here means what are the steps i need to do?? 2. I have basic idea in postfix , which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
2 Replies

3. AIX

Server Power7 p750 support CentOS or not ?

Hi All, I would like to install CentOS 5.5 linux on Power7 server (P750). it support or not?? I found information from IBM websites as detail below, but not sure for CentOS. IBM Power 750 support linux >>Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP3,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
2 Replies

4. Linux

Moving Whole OS Centos Server

I currently have a web server its on a small harddrive I didn't know my site would grow so fast but now I need a bigger hard drive. Instead of adding another harddrive (host charge monthly of how many hard drives connected to server) is there anyway to just move the whole os to a bigger hard drive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
2 Replies

5. Web Development

Building LAMP server from scratch (build a server with compiled LAMP from CentOS mini)

Hello everyone, I would like to setup a lamp server from a minimal distro and to compile PHP, MySQL and Apache myself. I have chosen CentOS minimal for the OS and I am trying to build the stack by hand... But well, it appears I need some help! First: I am looking for good and recent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CentOS VPS Server Apache Alias

All, We have a hosted CentOS 6 VPS server, using CPanel to install/config the domains/subdomains and installed osTicket in: my.domain.com/tkng/ We are trying to define the following Apache alias: my.domain.com/tickets which has to point to: my.domain.com/tkng/upload/ CPanel... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TBotNik
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Not able to execute standard commands on centos 7 server

I am not able to run basic commands on my centos 7 server. The PATH variable looks correct I think. I have not seen this before and not sure what to do next. Thank you :). # cd /usr/bin # ls bash: ls: command not found... Similar command is: 'lz' nano ~/.bashrc bash: nano: command not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Server refused our key - Centos 7

I generated rsa key-pair, Using puttygen.exe running on windows, I imported the private key and tried to use it to login to a CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core) (running on VirtualBox) and it gives the following error: "server refused our key". I tried to search for solution and some of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chiadi
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Build NFS Server on CentOS

Dear All, I'm using AWS EC2 instance for my application. My application is high disk I/O based and EFS could not be used in my case. So, i need to build my own NFS server on Ec2 instance. I'm looking for High availability solution for my disk which i shared for NFS. Looking for builtin... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bala
5 Replies
FREEBSD-UPDATE(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					 FREEBSD-UPDATE(8)

NAME
freebsd-update -- fetch and install binary updates to FreeBSD SYNOPSIS
freebsd-update [-b basedir] [-d workdir] [-f conffile] [-k KEY] [-r newrelease] [-s server] [-t address] command ... DESCRIPTION
The freebsd-update tool is used to fetch, install, and rollback binary updates to the FreeBSD base system. Note that updates are only avail- able if they are being built for the FreeBSD release and architecture being used; in particular, the FreeBSD Security Team only builds updates for releases shipped in binary form by the FreeBSD Release Engineering Team, e.g., FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE and FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE, but not FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE or FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b basedir Operate on a system mounted at basedir. (default: /, or as given in the configuration file.) -d workdir Store working files in workdir. (default: /var/db/freebsd-update/, or as given in the configuration file.) -f conffile Read configuration options from conffile. (default: /etc/freebsd-update.conf) -k KEY Trust an RSA key with SHA256 of KEY. (default: read value from configuration file.) -r newrelease Specify the new release to which freebsd-update should upgrade (upgrade command only). -s server Fetch files from the specified server or server pool. (default: read value from configuration file.) -t address Mail output of cron command, if any, to address. (default: root, or as given in the configuration file.) COMMANDS
The command can be any one of the following: fetch Based on the currently installed world and the configuration options set, fetch all available binary updates. cron Sleep a random amount of time between 1 and 3600 seconds, then download updates as if the fetch command was used. If updates are downloaded, an email will be sent (to root or a different address if specified via the -t option or in the configuration file). As the name suggests, this command is designed for running from cron(8); the random delay serves to minimize the proba- bility that a large number of machines will simultaneously attempt to fetch updates. upgrade Fetch files necessary for upgrading to a new release. Before using this command, make sure that you read the announcement and release notes for the new release in case there are any special steps needed for upgrading. Note that this command may require up to 500 MB of space in workdir depending on which components of the FreeBSD base system are installed. install Install the most recently fetched updates or upgrade. rollback Uninstall the most recently installed updates. IDS Compare the system against a "known good" index of the installed release. TIPS
o If your clock is set to local time, adding the line 0 3 * * * root /usr/sbin/freebsd-update cron to /etc/crontab will check for updates every night. If your clock is set to UTC, please pick a random time other than 3AM, to avoid overly imposing an uneven load on the server(s) hosting the updates. o In spite of its name, freebsd-update IDS should not be relied upon as an "Intrusion Detection System", since if the system has been tam- pered with it cannot be trusted to operate correctly. If you intend to use this command for intrusion-detection purposes, make sure you boot from a secure disk (e.g., a CD). FILES
/etc/freebsd-update.conf Default location of the freebsd-update configuration file. /var/db/freebsd-update/ Default location where freebsd-update stores temporary files and downloaded updates. SEE ALSO
freebsd-update.conf(5) AUTHORS
Colin Percival <cperciva@FreeBSD.org> FreeBSD July 14, 2010 FreeBSD