Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with While Do loop
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with While Do loop Post 302973528 by lm5522 on Wednesday 18th of May 2016 10:55:14 AM
Old 05-18-2016
Problem with While Do loop

I am trying to do a while do loop that asks for a password and returns if the password entered is incorrect. I have that part working however i want to modify it so that if a similar word is entered it will read "that is close but incorrect" and i cannot seem to get it working, being new in the linux. my code is simple:
Code:
read password
while [ "$password" != "hello" ]
do
 echo "Wrong password, try again"
 read password
done

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 05-18-2016 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Added code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

problem with while loop

hi all, i have written the following code: while(proceed !='Y' && proceed!='N' && proceed!='y' && proceed!='n') { printf("\nPress \n\t 'Y' or 'y' to continue \n\t 'N' or 'n' to cancel:"); scanf("%c",&proceed); } the output i am gettin is: Press 'Y' to continue ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mridula
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop problem

Hi, I have a directory called logs in which i have the log files. i have to touch the file before deleting it. i am doing like this filestodelete="*.log* *log*" for files in $filestodelete do touch $files $files.$(date +%a) rm -f $filestodelete done touch is not working... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

loop problem

Hi guys my while do loop is not working properly; As soon as the load_date and run_date is same it should stop can somebody tell me where I am having the problem? In an oracle table I have LOAD_DT=5/1/2009 DATE datatype RUN_DT=5/5/2009 DATE datatype Now in a script with a spool file I get the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: henrysmith
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in While loop

Hi Guys, This is my code.. I am getting an error in the inside while statement when comparing.. I am not able to figure it out.. Pls help me... while read value fatherid son_id top_id r_type do inside_value=1; echo $inside_value; echo $r_type; while do echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with a loop

Hi What is wrong with this loop it was taken has a example in book!!! it returns then /usr/sbin/svcadm disable ppserv else /usr/sbin/ppadmin stop fi } (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with while loop

hi I had created a while loop in a script file called whiletest.sh as follows as follows: count=0 max=10 while do echo $count echo count=$(count+1)" " done echo "value of count:$count" then i run the script with the command sh whilestest.sh but its giving me an error... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While loop problem

I have a while loop with -f and -o option.Can any one please tell me what that stands for?The Sample code is as follows:- while do ## some processing done (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Param0073
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with While loop.

Hi Script Gurus, I am facing issue with while loop in bash. The while loop is running as end less loop even after given criteria does not meet. STATE_BEFORE_SPLIT () { for clone in $Clonegroups; do state=$( $Navicmd -listclone -name $clone -cloneid $Cloneid |awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobP
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with loop within loop

Hi, I work on Ab-initio ETL tool which is based on Unix. I made a small script which has two loop's one with in another. All the functionality is working for the first line of outer loop but when it comes to other lines of outer loop it is throwing error as command not found. Below is the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with loop

Hi all, a problem with a loop. Imagine it starts with var1="$(cat txtif.out )"while do echo file1 echo file2 echo y > txtif.out if then break fi done exit 0 the problem is that if the file is changing during the loop seems to continue as it reads "x" state,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
5 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change password in Network Information Service (NIS) SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [name] DESCRIPTION
Note If Enhanced Security is enabled on your system, use the passwd command to change your password, even if NIS is in use. The yppasswd command lets you change your password in the Network Information Service (NIS) map, a network data base service. Only you or the superuser can change your NIS password. When you enter the yppasswd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. If you do not type the passwords cor- rectly, you will receive an error message after you enter the new password. Your new NIS password must meet one of the following requirements: It must be a combination of at least six alphanumeric characters, or It must be a minimum of four characters, with at least one being non-alphanumeric, such as a control sequence. Note The passwd command does not change the NIS password. This command only changes the local password file (/etc/passwd), and not the NIS mas- ter password file. ERRORS
Your new password does not meet the minimum length requirement. You misspelled your new password or its verification. Your new password can not be activated. It must be different from your old password and your login name. FILES
Password file NIS directory SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(4), ypfiles(4), yppasswdd(8) Network Administration yppasswd(1)