Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find the shellscript which is running In background is completed or not? Post 302973288 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 17th of May 2016 06:25:06 AM
Old 05-17-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy391791
Code:
ps -ef | grep  abc.sh | grep -v grep

If there is an entry then the job is still running

If there isn't then the job has completed
This is more simply and more correctly done with:
Code:
ps -ef | grep -q 'abc[.]sh'

which will give you a zero exit status if one or more copies of processes are running with a name containing the string abc.sh. Using [.] instead of just . gets rid of the need for grep -v grep and keeps strings like abcdsh from accidentally being selected.

If there might be other processes running that are named with a longer string containing abc.sh, you can avoid that problem with the more complex:
Code:
ps -ef | grep -Eq '( |/)abc[.]sh( |$)'

Note that none of these suggestions will keep this from mistakenly indicating that abc.sh is running if any process is running with an argument that is abc.sh.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the jobs running in background and stop

Hi All, I have requirement. I am running a job every 30mins. before starting the process, i need to check the process, if the process is still running then i need not trigger the process again, if it is not running then trigger the process again. I am using cron to trigger the shell script. Can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas_paluku
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running in background

i have a script called server.sh. how to run this script in backgroung using nohup command (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running RSH on the background

Hi, I am developing a script that would do a 'rsh' on a client machine. I want to invoke a script in client machine which would keep on polling data to the server. I want the rsh to return back once it invoked the script on client and the script should run on background on client. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running the Script in Background.

Gurus, Pls. help on this to run the script in background. I have a script to run the informatica workflows using PMCMD in script. Say the script name is test.sh & Parameters to the script is Y Y Y Y The no of parameters to the bove script is 4. all are going to be a flags. Each flag will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shellscript to find duplicates according to size

I have a folder which in turn has numerous sub folders all containing pdf files with same file named in different ways. So I need a script if it can be written to find and print the duplicate files (That is files with same size) along with the respective paths. So I assume here that same file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaddevil
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Background job when completed

Hello - I submitted one background job last night and it completed today morning.I want to know exact time the job completed. I submitted backgroung job like this nohup cp -Rp /opt/apps/prod/proddb/proddata . & I want to know when above job completed on UNIX server.Above command... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mansoor8810
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a shellscript in background after startup

hi. i need to start a shellscript AFTER full system startup the script will then run permanently in a loop checking the server every minute and in case of major hangs it just reboots the machine. i put it into /etc/rc.local file like this: #!/bin/sh -e # # rc.local # # This script is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

running the script in background

I have a script called startWebLogic.sh which I was running in the background but the problem is which I used the command :- ps -elf | grep "startWebLogic.sh" | grep -v grep to find the process id but I was unable to find the process id for this script and when I checked from the front end the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running in background

Hello, I was trying to make some processes to run at background and went to a problem. First I tried just to loop in one line something like this: for i in {1..10}; do echo 'hello world' &; done; but it pops a syntax error, so I tried several ways to fix it but wasn't able to understand... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rash
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Running process in the background

Hi, I have this simple c program that creates duplicate process with fork(): #include <sys/types.h> main() { if (fork() == 0) while(1); else while(1); } I tried running it in the background gcc -o test first.c test & And I got this list of running process: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
4 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)