Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search comppare replace (substr/lppad) Post 302973090 by RudiC on Saturday 14th of May 2016 04:12:18 AM
Old 05-14-2016
How about
Code:
awk '{split (POS, P, "-"); P[2]++; printf "%s%04d%s\n", substr($0, 1, P[1]-1), substr($0, P[1], P[2]-P[1]), substr ($0, P[2])}' POS="7-10" file

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace

Hi All, Suppose I have a file "a.doc" It's contents are : mos44.0 ) ..... ...... ..... export TKTS_RELEASE=tkts44.0b7 ...... ....... Now , I need to first search for the pattern "mos44.0 )" and then TKTS_RELEASE will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanyerra
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Substr - find and replace question...

Hello Experts, I have a input file that I need to replace a value only if the file contains the number 6 in column 1. I would like to use AWK in a shell script (ksh on a AIX platform). I need all rows written out, but only change 2 fields when the first column contains a numer 6. Input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottb
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with search and replace or search only of / in vi

Hi all, I am editing a config file in vi that has a / on it. At the moment, search and replace looks alright as am able to use a # as a temporary separator, i.e. :,$s#/u01/app#/u02/app#g For doing a search, I have to escape the / do. So if I want to search for /u01/app, I am having to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace.

Hi, I have a file which contains data in this form. /*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */; /*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS=@@CHARACTER_SET_RESULTS */; /*!40101 SET @OLD_COLLATION_CONNECTION=@@COLLATION_CONNECTION */; /*!40101 SET NAMES utf8 */;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a substr with nawk

Hi, I have files, with fixed length fields/let's say every field 5 positions/, like this: xxxx 140 xxxxx xxxx 140 xxxxx xxxx 1400 xxxxx xxxx 150 xxxxx I need to get only the records, which have 140 in the second column. I use that command: nawk '{if (substr($0,6,3)=="140") print $0}'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested search in a file and replace the inner search

Hi Team, I am new to unix, please help me in this. I have a file named properties. The content of the file is : ##Mobile props east.url=https://qa.east.corp.com/prop/end west.url=https://qa.west.corp.com/prop/end south.url=https://qa.south.corp.com/prop/end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolearn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to comppare two files using rwo fields

I use the two awk scripts for comparing file1 and file2. First awk compare $3 column: awk -v OFS="\t" 'NR==FNR{a=$4;next}{$2=$2 "\t"(a?a:"-")}1' file1 file2Second awk compare $2 column: awk -v OFS="\t" 'NR==FNR{a=$4;next}{$2=$2 "\t"(a?a:"-")}1' file1 file2 The only difference ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies
EXPR(1) 								FSF								   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate expressions SYNOPSIS
expr EXPRESSION expr OPTION DESCRIPTION
--help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Print the value of EXPRESSION to standard output. A blank line below separates increasing precedence groups. EXPRESSION may be: ARG1 | ARG2 ARG1 if it is neither null nor 0, otherwise ARG2 ARG1 & ARG2 ARG1 if neither argument is null or 0, otherwise 0 ARG1 < ARG2 ARG1 is less than ARG2 ARG1 <= ARG2 ARG1 is less than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 = ARG2 ARG1 is equal to ARG2 ARG1 != ARG2 ARG1 is unequal to ARG2 ARG1 >= ARG2 ARG1 is greater than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 > ARG2 ARG1 is greater than ARG2 ARG1 + ARG2 arithmetic sum of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 - ARG2 arithmetic difference of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 * ARG2 arithmetic product of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 / ARG2 arithmetic quotient of ARG1 divided by ARG2 ARG1 % ARG2 arithmetic remainder of ARG1 divided by ARG2 STRING : REGEXP anchored pattern match of REGEXP in STRING match STRING REGEXP same as STRING : REGEXP substr STRING POS LENGTH substring of STRING, POS counted from 1 index STRING CHARS index in STRING where any CHARS is found, or 0 length STRING length of STRING + TOKEN interpret TOKEN as a string, even if it is a keyword like `match' or an operator like `/' ( EXPRESSION ) value of EXPRESSION Beware that many operators need to be escaped or quoted for shells. Comparisons are arithmetic if both ARGs are numbers, else lexicograph- ical. Pattern matches return the string matched between ( and ) or null; if ( and ) are not used, they return the number of characters matched or 0. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for expr is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and expr programs are properly installed at your site, the command info expr should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 4.5.3 February 2003 EXPR(1)