Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove carriage return and append the next line Post 302972899 by RudiC on Wednesday 11th of May 2016 12:28:00 PM
Old 05-11-2016
What be the actual lengths of your lines?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a carriage return at end of variable

Is there a command in unix to remove a carriage return character(^M) at the end of a variable value? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagship99
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove carriage return between the line

Hi, I have a situation where I need to remove the carriage return between the lines. For.eg. The input file: 1,ad,"adc sdfd",edf 2,asd,"def fde",asd The output file should be 1,ad,adc sdfd,edf 2,asd,def fde,asd Thanks Shash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

strip carriage return & append next line

Hello everyone, I am trying to search a file for lines that start with 'ip:' and have a carriage return after(ip:$). I then want to remove the carriage return from that line and append the next line in the file to the line containing 'ip'. I tried doing this with SED, but had no luck. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returning value - remove carriage return '\r' - Please help

Guys - Simple code, i am trying to get a number back from sqlplus call to a query. After that, i need to use that number in a loop. --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh VALUE=`sqlplus -silent sh/password@sh <<END set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunshine1974
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove ^M (carriage return) with string manipulation

Hello, I want remove ^M at end of my files line if I use command : tr -d '\r' <inp>out it work fine but get I the same result by manipulating the string ? I want this because in my text file I manipulate some other part I have input "the cat^M" I want output "the cat" I have made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquila_1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return in a record

Hi all gurus, I need help in removing carriage return existed within a record delimited by pipe <|>. Sample: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Test ing2|Remarks2 A_03|Test3|Testing3| Remarks3 Desire output: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Testing2|Remarks2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to remove carriage return from 65th field

Hi, I have a pipe delimited file. There are around 700 columns in the file. The 65th column has carriage return which is causing read issue with our ETL process. I would like to replace the new line characters in 65th field with "nothing" i have return the following code and need help to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return from the variable

Hi, I try to handle very large numbers with a bash script. I run ssh command in a remote server and store the output in a local variable. But this output contains a return carriage at the end. So I try to remove it by tr But I can't figure out the right notation with printf. So my problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meacham12
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes

How to remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes in a file. There are multiple CRLFs within double quotes. We are on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS. The file that we are importing is a csv file from unix to windows and the file was formatted to unix2dos. Therefore all lines in the file all have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: covina
12 Replies
cmx(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    cmx(8)

NAME
cmx - Generic communication exerciser SYNOPSIS
/usr/field/cmx [-b [minbaud]-[maxbaud]] [-h] [-ofile] [-tn] -l line-n... OPTIONS
Use this option to specify the minimum, maximum, or range of baud rates to test. Prints help messages about the cmx command. Test all the listed tty lines, where n equals the lines to test according to the special device file entries in the /dev directory, such as 00, 12, or 42-53 Saves output diagnostics in file. Specifies the run time in minutes (n). The default is to run until a [CTRL-C] or a kill -15 pid is sent to the process. DESCRIPTION
The cmx exerciser writes, reads, and validates random data and packet lengths on a specified communications line. The line being tested must have a loopback connector attached to the distribution panel, or the cable and the line must be disabled in the /etc/inittab file and a non-modem line; the CLOCAL option must be set to on. The exerciser runs until a [CTRL-C] or a kill -15 pid is sent to the process. A logfile for you to examine and then remove is created in the current working directory; errors can be listed in the logfile. You must specify the -l option followed by the lines to test. The line-n arguments identify the lines to be tested. A maximum of 32 lines can be tested at any one time. The line-n arguments are specified as names taken from the /dev directory without the letters "tty." For example, if the /dev directory lists tty03, the line-n argument is 03. The Devices section lists the devices that can be tested. RESTRICTIONS
If you want to run a system exerciser over an NFS link or on a diskless system, there are some restrictions. For exercisers such as fsx(8) that need to write into a file system, the target file system must be writable by root. Also, the directory from which an exerciser is exe- cuted must be writable by root because temporary files are written into the directory. These restrictions can be difficult to adhere to because NFS file systems are often mounted in a way that prevents root from writing into them. Some of the restrictions may be adhered to by copying the exerciser into another directory and then executing it. Pseudo devices (devices whose first character after tty is any alphabetic character, other than lowercase d) cannot be tested. Also lat devices with major #5 cannot be tested. DEVICES
Use the file command on /dev/tty* to find out which tty line corresponds to a device line number. EXAMPLES
The following example runs the cmx exerciser for 60 minutes on lines 00, 13, 22, and 32: % /usr/field/cmx -t60 -l 00 13 22 32 The following example runs the cmx exerciser on lines 11, 42, 45, and 76 in the background until interrupted by a [CTRL-C] or a kill -15 pid: % /usr/field/cmx -l 11 42 45 76 & The following example runs the cmx exerciser on line 11, specifying a range of baud rates to test. % /usr/field/cmx -b9600-38400 -l 11 SEE ALSO
Commands: diskx(8), fsx(8), memx(8), shmx(8), tapex(8) cmx(8)