Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching a file - and assigning responses to variables (or something) Post 302972797 by sabster on Wednesday 11th of May 2016 01:05:11 AM
Old 05-11-2016
Thanks for the help guys - I got everything polished up and working great.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning file attributes to variables

Hi, I'm trying to assign the permissions, owner and group of a file to seperate variables, but using ls -l filename | awk '{print $1 "\t" $3 "\t" $4}' gives the owner as tom.ja instead of tom.james Is there any way to expand it so i get the full name, or is there an easier way to get them... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: olimiles
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching a text file and assigning it to a variable

Hi Gurus, I am new to unix.I have a requirement as below I have text file like a.txt which contains a.txt hi hello process update status Ok to Proceed no issues good data arrangement My requirement here is i need to read the file and check for the words "OK to Proceed" and if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Field Replacement, Assigning Fields to Variables, Lists/Arrays?

Okay, I've made threads on extracting fields and comparing strings in separate files in .csv's. I've written the following code with intentions of learning more. I just want this one question answered: How can I assign fields from a file(comma separated) to variables? My goal is to check... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chickeneaterguy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Help - Assigning variables to text file contents

I am looking to create a perl script which will take numbers from a simple text file, convert them from decimal to hex, and then rewrite those values in the file or create a new file with the hex numbers(whichever's easier). My text document for example would be something as simple as 1312... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samh785
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in assigning values to variables from the file

Hi! This might be a simple thing, but I'm struggling to assign values to variables from the file. I've the following values stored in the file.. It consists of only two rows.. 10 20 I want to assign the first row value to variable "n1" and the second row value to variable "n2".. That is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting value from one file and assigning it to variables of another file.

Hi, I need to read two values,startdate and enddate from a param file and then write this value to another param file(global) under a specific workflow name.Here in global param file there is may workflow names, hence we need to check for the right one and then add the data below it. Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading a file and assigning variables from file

I have a file that has four values on each line and I'd like to give each column a variable name and then use those values in each step of a loop. In bash, I believe you could use a while loop to do this or possibly a cat command, but I am super new to programming and I'm having trouble decoding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccorder22
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names with variables

Hello everyone We have a problem about searching and copying files with variables. we have variables like $year $jday $date and we want to search the files whose name contain these variables. we tried *$year*$jday*$date or with ? instead of * thank you everyone!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: miriammiriam
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variables

i have variables RECIPIENTS_DEVL,RECIPIENTS_UACC,RECIPIENTS_PROD i have a case statement to get the phase variable: case ${WMD_UPHASE1} in u) WMD_UPHASE4=UACC;; i) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; p) WMD_UPHASE4=PROD;; d) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; *) WMD_UPHASE4=DEVL;; esac I am unable to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Variables

Hi, Can the below be clarified please. i just want to know what is the difference between the two ways of assigning variables as mentioned below. export SRC_TBL=${SRC_TBL-"MMA_COPAY_PLN_FACT_STG"} export SRC_TBL="MMA_COPAY_PLN_FACT_STG" thanks in advance :) Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
1 Replies
FITCIRCLE(l)                                                                                                                          FITCIRCLE(l)

NAME
fitcircle - find mean position and pole of best-fit great [or small] circle to points on a sphere. SYNOPSIS
fitcircle [ xyfile ] -Lnorm [ -H[nrec] ] [ -S ] [ -V ] [ -: ] [ -bi[s][n] ] DESCRIPTION
fitcircle reads lon,lat [or lat,lon] values from the first two columns on standard input [or xyfile]. These are converted to cartesian three-vectors on the unit sphere. Then two locations are found: the mean of the input positions, and the pole to the great circle which best fits the input positions. The user may choose one or both of two possible solutions to this problem. The first is called -L1 and the second is called -L2. When the data are closely grouped along a great circle both solutions are similar. If the data have large dispersion, the pole to the great circle will be less well determined than the mean. Compare both solutions as a qualitative check. The -L1 solution is so called because it approximates the minimization of the sum of absolute values of cosines of angular distances. This solution finds the mean position as the Fisher average of the data, and the pole position as the Fisher average of the cross-products between the mean and the data. Averaging cross-products gives weight to points in proportion to their distance from the mean, analogous to the "leverage" of distant points in linear regression in the plane. The -L2 solution is so called because it approximates the minimization of the sum of squares of cosines of angular distances. It creates a 3 by 3 matrix of sums of squares of components of the data vectors. The eigenvectors of this matrix give the mean and pole locations. This method may be more subject to roundoff errors when there are thousands of data. The pole is given by the eigenvector corresponding to the smallest eigenvalue; it is the least-well represented factor in the data and is not easily estimated by either method. -L Specify the desired norm as 1 or 2, or use -L or -L3 to see both solutions. OPTIONS
xyfile ASCII [or binary, see -b] file containing lon,lat [lat,lon] values in the first 2 columns. If no file is specified, fitcircle will read from standard input. -H Input file(s) has Header record(s). Number of header records can be changed by editing your .gmtdefaults file. If used, GMT default is 1 header record. -S Attempt to fit a small circle instead of a great circle. The pole will be constrained to lie on the great circle connecting the pole of the best-fit great circle and the mean location of the data. -V Selects verbose mode, which will send progress reports to stderr [Default runs "silently"]. -: Toggles between (longitude,latitude) and (latitude,longitude) input/output. [Default is (longitude,latitude)]. Applies to geo- graphic coordinates only. -bi Selects binary input. Append s for single precision [Default is double]. Append n for the number of columns in the binary file(s). [Default is 2 input columns]. EXAMPLES
Suppose you have lon,lat,grav data along a twisty ship track in the file ship.xyg. You want to project this data onto a great circle and resample it in distance, in order to filter it or check its spectrum. Try: fitcircle ship.xyg -L2 project ship.xyg -Cox/oy -Tpx/py -S -pz | sample1d -S-100 -I1 > output.pg Here, ox/oy is the lon/lat of the mean from fitcircle, and px/py is the lon/lat of the pole. The file output.pg has distance, gravity data sampled every 1 km along the great circle which best fits ship.xyg SEE ALSO
gmt(1gmt), project(1gmt), sample1d(1gmt) 1 Jan 2004 FITCIRCLE(l)