Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting logs using gunzip awk and gzip Post 302972781 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 10th of May 2016 07:15:47 PM
Old 05-10-2016
And how do you want to "take" these parameters from the user?
  1. Will the user give them as command-line arguments?
  2. Do you want your script to prompt the user for all of these arguments?
  3. Are there default values that the user can override with command-line options?
  4. Something else???
What have you tried?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

decompress in HPUX11 by Gunzip and gzip

Hello evrebody , I have HPUX-11, i try to install "Mozilla" and "unzip utillity" I cannot decompress file (F.tar.gz) or file(F.gz) by commandes: gunzip -dv F.tar.gz | tar -xvf gunzip F.tar.gz or gzip -dv F.tar.gz |tar -xvf gzip F.gz maybe someone know What's the reason? maybe i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanly64
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from large logs.

Hi all, I have a large log file that gets created daily. I need to be able to pull text out of the log when I hit a pattern including the 7 lines above it and the 3 lines below and output it to a new text file. Line 1 Line 2 Line 3 Line 4 Line 5 Line 6 Line 7 Pattern Line 9 Line 10... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bas
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gunzip error - not in gzip format

Hi, I am getting this error gunzip file1.tar.Z gunzip: file1.tar.Z: not in gzip format Any clues? This goes bad only in some recent installations of ids (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagercyber
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cloning OracleHome (gzip/gunzip Help)

Environment: ServerA - IBM AIX 5.2 ServerB - IBM AIX 5.2 I want to clone one of my oracle installation. The easiest way is to ZIP(possibly use gzip) the installed folder from the ServerA (Here Oracle is installed and working fine) , FTP to the ServerB(Here I want to have the installation... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
4 Replies

5. Solaris

doubt reg gzip,gunzip

Hi, Can anyone let me explain the difference between tar , uncompress,gzip and gunzip commands. both gzip and gunzip are same i think correct me if am wrong. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Help for extracting report from logs

Hi I have a log file, with lines of following kind. ------------------------ 2009-05-15 07:49:42,574 INFO - SqlMapObjectDataDao - select - selectObject - 2 ms 2009-05-15 07:49:42,575 INFO - SqlMapUserDao - select - getUserSystemAdminSuperGroup - 0 ms 2009-05-15 07:49:42,576 INFO -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip-gunzip a problem

Hi all, i have a gzipped file. <file_name>.gz . when i try gunzip this file i get, invalid compressed data--format violated this file gzipped like gzip -f -S <file_name> 2 > <error_log_file> there is no error in log. it seems that the file gzipped properly. how this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummydba
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gzip to read logs

Ok here is my trouble. I run scripts whenever I am investigating problems. One of those scripts simply goes to a log folder and runs gzip -cd * | grep error | wc -l This tells me the number of errors in their log's and how much I should pay attention to them. The problem is sometimes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help in extracting logs in readable format

hello everyone. newbie here in unix. I am trying to extract the logs of a certain job and would like to output it in a readable format, see below the CAT part: cat /var/opt/ctma/ctm/sysout/idwesct_sh30_eng_r6_cdcs_sh.LOG_05l0du_000* | egrep -i 'orderid:|file_name=' | sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eanne_may
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name manipulation when extracting from gzip

Hi, Below is the description of my problem. I am trying to loop through the below file names sitting in the file - FileNames.txt, and trying to decompress them FileNames.txt 20150408_MGAC_.txt.gz 20150408_MGCC_.txt.gz 20150408_MGSH__.txt.gz 20150408_MGSL__.txt.gz ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richmond_CS
6 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux September 2011 SCRIPT(1)