Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Python passing multiple parameters to functions Post 302972578 by ctrld on Sunday 8th of May 2016 03:48:56 AM
Old 05-08-2016
Python passing multiple parameters to functions

Hi,

I am a beginner in python programming. In my python script have a main function which calls several other functions. The main function gets its input by reading lines from a input text file. I call the main function for every line in input text file through a loop.

Code:
def main(line):
var1 = line.split('=')[1] var2 = line.split('=')[2] var3 = line.split('=')[3] var4 = line.split('=')[4] var5 = line.split('=')[5] var6 = line.split('=')[6] subfunc1(var2,var3,var4,var5,var6) subfunc2(var1,var2,var3,var4,var5) subfunc3(var1,var2,var3,var4,var5) subfunc4(var1,var2,var4,var5,var6) subfunc5(var1,var2,var3,var4,var5) subfunc6(var1,var2,var4,var5,var6)
#Main #input data is read as list with name inputlines for line in inputlines:
main(line)

How can I avoid passing multiple variables to the subfunction and at same time how can I avoid the split operation in all these subfunctions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing command line parameters to functions - sh

All, I have a sh script of the following tune: function a () { #functionality.. } function b () { #functionnlity.. } function check () { # this function checks for env and if all fine call build } function usage () { #sh usage details } function build () { #calls either a or b or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arrays between functions

Hi, I have a function that hold 3 arrayies. I need to pass them to another function as an input, for further use Could you please explain how to do that. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing multiple files as parameters

hi all i am etl guy i have shell script that i use to do processing on file. the problem is that i want it to use on multiple files at same time is there any way of passing the file name since my all my filename start with samename like abc* p,ease let me know (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_zeeshan05
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the List of functions with modified parameters

Hi I have 2 files a.c and a.bak where I changed long to int using awk script. I want to get the list of functions whose parameters got modified for eg: fun ( long a, long b ) might be changed to fun ( int a, int b ) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - passing hash references to functions

hi there I have the following script in which i have created a PrintHash() function. I want to pass to this function the reference to a hash (in the final code i will be passing different hashes to this print function hence the need for a function). I am getting an error Type of arg 1 to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling parameters in Shell Functions

Hi, Please help me with the below situation where I have to handle the parameters passed to a function in a unique way. Below is the code, which I am trying to execute. I basically want to pass the parameter to a function, where I am trying to get user input into array(s). I want to name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on passing multiple parameters in if

Hi All, My target is to find the list of orphan processes running and i issue the below command with some exception ids. ps -ef | egrep -v "root|system|admin" | awk '{if ($3 == 1) print $1",\t"$2",\t"$3}' but this will exclude the process having the word 'root' and executing under different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameters to a function and running functions in parallel

Hi , I have a script which is using a text file as I/P. I want a code where it reads n lines from this file and pass the parameters to a function and now this script should run in such a way where a function can be called in parallel with different parameters. Please find below my script, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh While Loop - passing variables to functions

I'm reading a text file using a while loop but when I call a function from within this loop it exits that same iteration … even though there are many more lines in the file to be read. I thought it was something to do with the IFS setting but it appears that a function call (when run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
3 Replies
PYTHON(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 PYTHON(1)

NAME
python, pythonw -- an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language SYNOPSIS
python ... pythonw ... DESCRIPTION
To support multiple versions, the programs named python and pythonw now just select the real version of Python to run, depending on various settings. (As of Python 2.5, python and pythonw are interchangeable; both execute Python in the context of an application bundle, which means they have access to the Graphical User Interface; thus both can, when properly programmed, display windows, dialogs, etc.) The current supported versions are 2.6 and 2.7, with the default being 2.6. Use % man python2.6 % man python2.7 % man pythonw2.6 % man pythonw2.7 to see the man page for a specific version. Without a version specified, % man pydoc and the like, will show the man page for the (unmodified) default version of Python (2.6). To see the man page for a specific version, use, for example, % man pydoc2.7 CHANGING THE DEFAULT PYTHON
Using % defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Version 2.7 will make version 2.7 the user default when running the both the python and pythonw commands (versioner is the internal name of the version- selection software used). To set a system-wide default, replace 'com.apple.versioner.python' with '/Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.python' (admin privileges will be required). The environment variable VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION can also be used to set the python and pythonw version: % export VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION=2.7 # Bourne-like shells or % setenv VERSIONER_PYTHON_VERSION 2.7 # C-like shells % python ... This environment variable takes precedence over the preference file settings. 64-BIT SUPPORT Versions 2.6 and 2.7 support 64-bit execution (which is on by default). Like the version of Python, the python command can select between 32 and 64-bit execution (when both are available). Use: % defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Prefer-32-Bit -bool yes to make 32-bit execution the user default (using '/Library/Preferences/com.apple.versioner.python' will set the system-wide default). The environment variable VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT can also be used (has precedence over the preference file): % export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes # Bourne-like shells or % setenv VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT yes # C-like shells Again, the preference setting and environmental variable applies to both python and pythonw. USING A SPECIFIC VERSION
Rather than using the python command, one can use a specific version directly. For example, running python2.7 from the command line will run the 2.7 version of Python, independent of what the default version of Python is. One can use a specific version of Python on the #! line of a script, but that may have portability and future compatibility issues. Note that the preference files and environment variable that apply to the python command, do not apply when running a specific version of Python. In particular, running python2.6 will always default to 64-bit execution (unless one uses the arch(1) command to specifically select a 32-bit architecture). SEE ALSO
python2.6(1), python2.7(1), pythonw2.6(1), pythonw2.7(1), arch(1) BSD
Aug 10, 2008 BSD