Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Awk: subset of fields as variable with sprint Post 302972488 by Don Cragun on Friday 6th of May 2016 01:12:43 AM
Old 05-06-2016
You might want to consider an alternative approach. No sprintf() calls, no for loops to gather your keys, and no long lists of explicitly copied arguments; just a single substr() call. And, it doesn't care how many input fields are in your keys.
Code:
awk -F'|' '
{	key = substr($0, length($1) + 1, length - length($1 FS $NF))
	if(key in list)
		list[key] = list[key] ";" $1 "(" $NF ")"
	else {	list[key] = $1 "_(" $NF ")"
		keylist[++keycount] = key
	}
}
END {	for(i = 1; i <= keycount; i++)
		print list[keylist[i]]  keylist[i]
}' file

If file is a file that contains slightly modified versions of your two input samples:
Code:
A|1|2|3|4|5
B|1|2|3|4|3
C|1|2|3|4|1
D|1|9|3|4|12
E|1|2|3|4|A|Q|W|S|E|D|F|R|C|D|E|S|S|W|Q|D|C|E|F|E|V|F|R|R|E|W|Q|Z|V|L|L|H|5
F|1|2|3|4|A|Q|W|S|E|D|F|R|C|D|E|S|S|W|Q|D|C|E|F|E|V|F|R|R|E|W|Q|Z|V|L|L|H|3
G|1|2|3|4|A|Q|W|S|E|D|F|R|C|D|E|S|S|W|Q|D|C|E|F|E|V|F|R|R|E|W|Q|Z|V|L|L|H|1
H|1|2|3|4|S|D|E|Q|O|P|V|S|E|R|E|E|E|E|J|A|R|J|L|U|E|L|O|P|I|T|A|L|Y|D|T|B|12

it produces the output:
Code:
A_(5);B(3);C(1)|1|2|3|4
D_(12)|1|9|3|4
E_(5);F(3);G(1)|1|2|3|4|A|Q|W|S|E|D|F|R|C|D|E|S|S|W|Q|D|C|E|F|E|V|F|R|R|E|W|Q|Z|V|L|L|H
H_(12)|1|2|3|4|S|D|E|Q|O|P|V|S|E|R|E|E|E|E|J|A|R|J|L|U|E|L|O|P|I|T|A|L|Y|D|T|B

If someone wants to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk in this script to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk.

Obviously, you can convert my suggestion to a 1-liner; but I'll take this more readable, more easily maintained version of the code over a 1-liner any day.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable then fields in variable

i have this variable: varT="1--2--3--5" i want to use awk to print field 3 from this variable. i dont want to do the "echo $varT". but here's my awk code: awk -v valA="$varT" "BEGIN {print valA}" this prints the entire line. i feel like i'm so close to getting what i want. i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join fields comparing 4 fields using awk

Hi All, I am looking for an awk script to do the following Join the fields together only if the first 4 fields are same. Can it be done with join function in awk?? a,b,c,d,8,,, a,b,c,d,,7,, a,b,c,d,,,9, a,b,p,e,8,,, a.b,p,e,,9,, a,b,p,z,,,,9 a,b,p,z,,8,, desired output: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aksijain
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenating awk fields with variable

Hi, I am trying to do this:- FILE=application.log PID=12345 FILE=`echo $FILE | awk -F "." '{print $1 "$PID" $2}'` echo $FILE application$PIDlog I need the output to be application12345.log but I am not sure how to get the $PID variable into the output. I have tried various things... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper57
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - compare 1st 15 fields of record with 20 fields

I'm trying to compare 2 files for differences in a selct number of fields. When differnces are found it will write the whole record of the second file including appending '|C' out to a delta file. Each record will have 20 fields, but only want to do comparison of 1st 15 fields. The 1st field of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sljnk
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of variable number of fields data file

Hy! I need to post-process some data files which have variable (and periodic) number of fields. For example, I need to square (data -> data*data) the folowing data file: -5.34281E-28 -3.69822E-29 8.19128E-29 9.55444E-29 8.16494E-29 6.23125E-29 4.42106E-29 2.94592E-29 1.84841E-29 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort based on difference of fields and print all fields

Hi I have a file as below <field1> <field2> <field3> ... <field_num1> <field_num2> Trying to sort based on difference of <field_num1> and <field_num2> in desceding order and print all fields. I tried this and it doesn't sort on the difference field .. Appreciate your help. cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newstart
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to filter file using another working on smaller subset

In the below awk if I use the attached file as the input, I get no results for TCF4. However, if I just copy that line from the attached file and use that as input I get results for TCF4. Basically the gene file is a 1 column list that is used to filter $8 of the attached file. When there is a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if string variable is a subset of another string variable

Below is my ksh shell script where I need to check if variable fileprops is a subset of $1 argument. echo "FILE PROPERTY: $fileprops" echo "PARAMETER3: $1" if ; then echo "We are Good. $line FILE is found to be INTACT !! " else echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
scroll(3NCURSES)														  scroll(3NCURSES)

NAME
scroll, scrl, wscrl - scroll a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); DESCRIPTION
The scroll routine scrolls the window up one line. This involves moving the lines in the window data structure. As an optimization, if the scrolling region of the window is the entire screen, the physical screen may be scrolled at the same time. For positive n, the scrl and wscrl routines scroll the window up n lines (line i+n becomes i); otherwise scroll the window down n lines. This involves moving the lines in the window character image structure. The current cursor position is not changed. For these functions to work, scrolling must be enabled via scrollok. RETURN VALUE
These routines return ERR upon failure, and OK (SVr4 only specifies "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion. X/Open defines no error conditions. This implementation returns an error if the window pointer is null, or if scrolling is not enabled in the window, e.g., with scrollok. NOTES
Note that scrl and scroll may be macros. The SVr4 documentation says that the optimization of physically scrolling immediately if the scroll region is the entire screen "is" per- formed, not "may be" performed. This implementation deliberately does not guarantee that this will occur, to leave open the possibility of smarter optimization of multiple scroll actions on the next update. Neither the SVr4 nor the XSI documentation specify whether the current attribute or current color-pair of blanks generated by the scroll function is zeroed. Under this implementation it is. PORTABILITY
The XSI Curses standard, Issue 4 describes these functions. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), outopts(3NCURSES) scroll(3NCURSES)