Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to log the sed command used to replace Post 302972382 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 4th of May 2016 04:02:09 PM
Old 05-04-2016
Sample input lines do not need to be actual data; they just need to provide representative data.

Are these text files (no null bytes and a <newline> character at the end of each line) or are they binary files (may contain null bytes, for example in floating point numeric constants, and record length is determined by byte count only instead of containing a line terminating character sequence)?

What codeset is used to encode data in these files? (Perhaps ASCII, ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, or EBCDIC?)

In your 1st post in this thread, you said:
Quote:
And still log it?
If you want a log (in addition to an output file that is a modified version of the input file), exactly what do you want logged? Please show us a sample of what a log should look like for a particular set of representative sample input records.

Please help us help you. Don't make us guess at everything that will determine what tools can be used to process your data to get the results you want! Making us guess at everything wastes the time of anyone who wants to help you, is likely to get you suggestions that don't stand a chance of working with your real data, and makes it much less likely that you will get any suggestions that work in your environment.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search and replace command

Hi, I would like to seek help on how i can arrive on this result. sample.txt: product_code IN (param001) and product_type IN (param004) product_code IN (param002) and product_type IN (param005) product_code IN (param003) and product_type IN (param006) I would like to change the param001... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED command to search for numeric and replace

Hi I am very new to linux and scripting. I need to replace numbers abc with number xyz inputting from a reference file. I used the following command - sed "s/$grd/$lab/" , where $grd and $lab comes from reference file. The problem is the above line doesnt take care of space..... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajayh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace with a variable in sed command

Hello, I have this command and it works fine. My question is that how can we replace the N by a variable, to print for instance a big number of lines. It means if I want 100 lines after an expression, to not put "N" 100 times in the sed. Code: $ sed -n '/aaa/{n;N;N;s///g;s/;/; /g;p;}'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rany1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a character at last

Hi All, I have a file having one line only. It is like trapsess:inform|10.232.167.18|1|1|50|25|0|0|0|5|1|1|78|0037| I want to replace the numbers in last two columns by As. It should look like trapsess:inform|10.232.167.18|1|1|50|25|0|0|0|5|1|1|AA|AAAA| Please, suggest me any shell... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshbaranwal
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace with sed command

hi, suggest me in the below script.. if In above I wanna replace "" with "]". (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to find and replace

Hello All, I need a sed command to find and replace below text in multiple files in a directory. Original Text :- "$SCRIPT_PATH/files" Replace with :- "$RESOURCE_FILE" Thank you in advance !!! Regards, Anand Shah (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace using sed command

The content of the file filea.txt is as follows. --------- case $HOSTNAME in aaa) DS_PARM_VALUE_SET=vsDev APT_Configuration_File=/appl/infoserver/Server/Configurations/2node.apt ;; bbb) DS_PARM_VALUE_SET=vsQA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace command

Hi. I need to append/prefix an & character to every 'single' & character (not when there are 2 or more grouped together) I find in a file. I can do it using this cmd: cat ${file} | sed -e 's/&/&&/g' > ${new_file} How can I modify this to ensure I only replace single &'s and not operate... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Command to replace particular value.

Hi , My input file contain : list = 3 14 15 10 9 11 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 6 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 16 17 27 28 30 29 Expected output : list = 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 18 0 20 0 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 0 3 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 I want to keep the 8,10,16,17,22 value from the list and put 0 on rest of the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Chandra
9 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)