Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LDAP data in CSV format
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting LDAP data in CSV format Post 302972348 by tfm217 on Wednesday 4th of May 2016 08:55:15 AM
Old 05-04-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
As much as I'd like to help, not knowing how "an LDIF export from an LDAP directory" looks like stops me. Posting input and desired output samples will definitely help.
Sure, I can do that. Below is the current format of the LDIF output file. It can be modified in terms of the attributes but overall it's the same as the below.

Each object is separated by an empty line. The first line is the full DN of the object and each preceding line is in the form of "attribute = value". Here is an example of how two user objects would be represented. The LDIF only contains user objects.

As you can see, not every attribute is represented, for example, user2 has no 'employeenumber' and so the attribute is not listed.

I am trying to find a way to convert automatically into standard CSV format.
Code:
uid=user1,cn=users,dc=domain,dc=com
givenname=User
salesorg=2010
sn=One
telephonenumber=+15555555555
l=Melville
employeetype=E
mail=user1@domain.com 
uid=user1
c=United States
postalcode=11747
cn=User One
preferredlanguage=en_US
employeenumber=01000527
st=NY

uid=user2,cn=users,dc=domain,dc=com
givenname=User
salesorg=2010
sn=Two
employeetype=R
mail=user2@domain.com
uid=user2
c=United States
preferredlanguage=en_US
cn=User Two

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 05-04-2016 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Added code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to format a .CSV data

Hi There I needed to write a Unix shell script which will pick up the data from a .CSV file and reformat it as per the requirement and write it to another .CSV file. Currently I am in the proess of Data Import to "Remedy System" (A one kind of incident mangement Application) and this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uday1982
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shell script to format .CSV data

Hi all, I have written a shell script to search a specified directory (e.g. /home/user) for a list of specific words (shown as ${TMPDIR}/wordlist below). The script works well enough, but I was wondering if there was a way to display the line number that the word is found on? Thanks! cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmcmurtr
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retaining the Unix CSV format in Excel format while exporting

Hi All, I have created a Unix Shell script whch creates a *.csv file and export it to Excel. The problem i am facing is that Users wants one of the AMOUNT field in comma separted values. Example : if the Amount has the value as 3000000 User wants to be in 3,000,000 format. This Amount format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rawat_me01
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of xhtml data into csv format using dump utility

Hi Unix Gurus, I tried to convert the attached xhtml table content into csv file using unix shell script (lynx -dump filename) and got the below results: Title ID Owner Priority Estimate Project Change Date Changed By Complexity Create Date Created By Detail Estimate Total De tail... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bi.infa
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV data format manipulation

Hi There I need a script which will pick up the data from a .CSV file and reformat it as per the requirement and write it to another .CSV file. I am using an application that will only take data in a particular format and need something that will convert without manual intervention. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbggbr16
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

LDAP data in CSV format - Part II

User Aia had created this below script to help translate LDIF files to CSV format, and it works very well (thanks again Aia if you are reading this) Here is the original thread. https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/265753-ldap-data-csv-format.html?referrerid=302170129 However... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tfm217
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert csv data to html format

I am new to html and need to convert the attached csv file data to html format ; running into issues. please assist. #!/bin/ksh echo "<html>" ; echo "<head><style> table {border-collapse: collapse;} table, td, th {border: 1px solid black;} </style></head>" echo "<title> REPORT </title>" echo... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: archana25
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we filter the below log data into CSV format?

HI , I m looking for help here!!! Can we filter the below log data into CSV format ? timestamp INFO <text > - Some text Drive .. Need a format of separate field such as 1 2 3 4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MohSalNiz
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Log file data into CSV format

I m looking for help here!!! Can we filter the below log data into CSV format ? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 timestamp INFO <text > - Some text (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MohSalNiz
1 Replies
talk(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   talk(1)

Name
       talk, otalk - talk to another user

Syntax
       talk person [ttyname]

otalk person [ttyname]

Description
       The command is a visual communication program which copies lines from your terminal to that of another user.

If  you	wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then person is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another
       host, then person is of the form :
       host!user
	or
       host.user
	or
       host:user
	or
       user@host
       The form user@host is perhaps preferred.

If you want to talk to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name.

When first called, it sends the message
       Message from TalkDaemon@his_machine...
       talk: connection requested by your_name@your_machine.
       talk: respond with: talk your_name@your_machine

to the user you wish to talk to. At this point, the recipient of the message should reply by typing
       talk  your_name@your_machine

It doesn't matter from which machine the recipient replies, as long as his login-name is the same.  Once communication is established,  the
       two parties may type simultaneously, with their output appearing in separate windows.  Typing Ctrl-L will cause the screen to be reprinted,
       while your erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal.  To exit, just type your interrupt character; then moves  the
       cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal.

Permission to talk may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command.	At the outset talking is allowed.  Certain commands, in particular
       and disallow messages in order to prevent messy output.

In order to use the program with machines on your network that may be running earlier versions of ULTRIX, you must initiate a session  with
       the  command (/usr/ucb/otalk) instead of the command You must also respond to a request from a machine running an older version of the pro-
       gram with the command. See the Restrictions section.

Examples
       The following example demonstrates how to use the command.  In this case, user1, whose system (system1) is running ULTRIX V2.2 initiates  a
       session with user2, whose system (system2) is running ULTRIX V3.0.  User1 types the following:
       system1> talk user2@system2
       The following message appears on the screen of user2:
       Message from Talk_Daemon@system2 at 12:37 ...
       talk: connection requested by user1@system1.
       talk: respond with:  otalk user1@system1
       To establish the connection user2 follows the instructions from the Talk_Daemon and types the following at the system prompt:
       system2> otalk user1@system1

Restrictions
       The  version  of  released  with ULTRIX V3.0 uses a protocol that is incompatible with the protocol used in earlier versions. Starting with
       ULTRIX V3.0, the program communicates with other machines running ULTRIX, V3.0 (and later), and machines running 4.3  BSD  or  versions	of
       UNIX based on 4.3 BSD.

The command is not 8-bit clean. Typing in DEC Multinational Characters (DECMCS) causes the characters to echo as a sequence of a carets (^)
       followed by the character represented with its high bit cleared. This limitation makes unusable if you want to communicate using a language
       which has DECMCS characters in its alphabet.

Files
       to find the recipient's machine

to find the recipient's tty

See Also
       mail(1), mesg(1), who(1), write(1), talkd(8c)

talk(1)