Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange Script behaviour with Grep Post 302972281 by mohtashims on Tuesday 3rd of May 2016 06:45:33 PM
Old 05-03-2016
Error Strange Script behaviour with Grep

Here is my script

Code:
LOGDATE=`date '+%Y-%m-%d %k:%M' | cut -c1-15`

echo $LOGDATE
echo "grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log >10min_log"
grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log>10min_log
grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log

Here is the output of the script
Quote:
2016-05-03 17:3
grep '2016-05-03 17:3' /tmp/logs/vel.log >10min_log
Code:
-rw-r--r--   1 wluser    wluser          0 May  3 17:35 10min_log

You see 0 bytes.

But when i type this manually grep '2016-05-03 17:3' /tmp/logs/vel.log i see 1000s of lines like below.

Quote:
2016-05-03 17:38:30,352 E- <----- NOT AG MESSAGE ---> modify For policyNum=null,policySeq=null.
2016-05-03 17:38:30,549 ERRRO---> alled for level1org=500,custNum=164048,polStatus=null.
2016-05-03 17:38:30,555ER - <----- NOT AESSAGE ---> called for level1org=500,custNum=14048
Like you can see when i manually type the grep command i see 1000s of line but when the same command goes in the script the redirected output to 10min_log shows 0 bytes and no data.

Why ?
Note: when i change grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log>10min_log to grep $LOGDATE /tmp/logs/vel.log>10min_log i.e remove the single quotes'' then it works. But i want to grep 2016-05-03 17:3 as one text hence i need the single quotes or if there is another solution ??
Note: I was able to overcome the issue by using double quotes ""
Note: i m with the same user and grp as the directory i.e there is no permission issues.

Please suggest.

Last edited by mohtashims; 05-03-2016 at 08:13 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Strange Behaviour!!!

Can some-one give me a view to this : I have a directory in an unix server, having permissions r-xr-xr-x .This directory is basically a source directory. Now there is another directory basically the destination directory which has all the permissions. Note:I log in as not the owner,but user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange sed behaviour

$ echo a.bc | sed -e "s/\|/\\|/g" |a|.|b|c| $ Is the behavior of the sed statement expected ? Or is this a bug in sed ? OS details Linux 2.6.9-55.0.0.0.2.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed May 2 14:59:56 PDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour from script in crontab

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, my search skills may be lacking somewhat today. I have a script that does the following (as a test): find . -name "*.txt" -exec file {} \; >>$sFullFilePath Now, the variable is set up up correctly in the script too. When I run the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PilotGoose
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Program behaviour

Had a strange thing going on with my code. It's ok I figured it out for myself.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrpugster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script strange behaviour

Hi people, I'm having some strange behaviour with an 'expect' script. spawn csession blah expect "Username: " send "userblah\r" expect "Password: " send "passwordblah\r" interact When I execute the script as root it runs perfectly. However, when executed as any other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarciasMuffin
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour with perl i/o?

Hi All, I got a strange problem here. I have a perl script which is fetching data from a database table and writing a file with that data. If i run that script from linux command line, the file it creates is a normal ascii text file without any binary character in it.But... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange RegExp Behaviour

Hello, I was trying to identify lines who has a word of the following pattern "xyyx" (where x, and ys are different characters). I was trying the following grep - egrep '(\S)()\2\1' This pattern do catches the wanted pattern, but it also catches "GGGG" or "CCCC" patterns. I was trying to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itskov
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Crontab strange behaviour

Hi all, I'm having this scenario which for the moment I cannot resolve. :( I wrote a script to make a dump/export of the oracle database. and then put this entry on crontab to be executed daily for example. The script is like below: cat /home/oracle/scripts/db_backup.sh #!/bin/ksh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange behaviour script terminate before complete execution

I'm working on a script to make backup of various folder located on various host using different OS. I got a strange behaviour because the script donět process all lines of a configuration file, the script execute only one loop even the input file have 6 lines: This is the script: #!/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: |UVI|
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange behaviour of grep in SunOS

Hi I ahve 2 files with below content: cat file1 FILE3 test1 test2 cat file2 file3 ghg test1 test2 i want to use file1 as pattern file and find out the missing strings in file2.(i.e ghg in this case regardless of c ase) I have tried: grep -i -v -f /path/file1 /path/file2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)