Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printer queue not clearing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printer queue not clearing Post 302972143 by bakunin on Monday 2nd of May 2016 05:25:06 AM
Old 05-02-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdittmar
I did just that and it says:
Quote:
a utility to allow to to bypass the various network printing utilities
and i suppose it did just that: i do not know for certain what happened (not enough data for that), but my supposition is that the netcat-script you use bypasses the printing system so effectively that the job is not removed from the printqueue at all.

Usually a print queue works like this: there is a place where files to be printed (=sent to the printer) are dropped. There is a daemon (usually lpd) which picks up the file and - upon successful procession (=printing worked) removes it, otherwise issues an error message and does not remove it.

What fails, IMHO, is that the netcat-script needs to tell the lpd (or whatever you use in its place) about the successful (or unsuccessful) printing of the job so that the print file can be removed based on this.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clearing Mail Queue

Hello, I am trying to clear my mail queue with the following command: rm /var/spool/mqueue/* But when I do this I get this error: /bin/rm: Argument list too long. Can someone tell me what that error means and what I can do to correct it so I can clear my mail queue? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chet
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris 8 setting up a remote printer queue

I have a printer installed over ADSL to a router at a remote location. A Windows printer queue has been setup and working and I can ping the IP address from the Solaris server. I now want to add a printer queue for this printer under Solaris, but I am unsure how to setup a remote printer queue.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: miredale
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

Help adding a printer queue

Hello, I need some help on the following issue: Need to have a printer queue added to the "sssssss" server.The IP address is "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". It is an HP8000 printer. Can you please point me to the right direction. Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
0 Replies

4. AIX

Printer Queue not getting created

When I try to create first print queue in this system with the command line argument, find the output also... # /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piomkjetd mkpq_jetdirect -p 'generic' -D pcl -q 'AR06_Workcenter_32' -h 'AR06_Workcenter_32' -x '9100' 0782-606 /usr/lib/lpd/pio/etc/piomgpdev: Error 'A file or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giribt
1 Replies

5. Solaris

creating printer queue in Solaris 10

I have installed the foo2zjs drivers but i don't know the next steps to how to make a print queue with ppd files........kindly guide me out if anyone have used foo2jzs or some other methods to configure the hp laserjet 1022n printer.Kindly explain step by step procedure of how to do this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

6. AIX

Check printer queue on Windows printer server

Hello Let me first give a small overview of the setup. All printers are connected to Windows 2000 servers. There are a lot of UNIX (AIX & HP-UX) servers as well which have SAP running. I'm working on a script to add printers to a specified SAP instance. I want to verify the user input (to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NielsV
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Cancel printer queue permission

How to assign permission for a user to cancel unix printer queue other than root? lprm -P and cancel? How to chmod for /bin/cancel to -rws-x-x --> s means? Please help. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
1 Replies

8. AIX

Cannot setup a printer queue

So I've got this asc file that someone sent me for setting up a Zebra printer on AIX. When I use smit or the command line I get this error when I try to setup the printer up: File /usr/lib/lpd/pio/predef/master does not exist. The master file is there. This only happens when I setup a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hurmoth
2 Replies

9. AIX

Problem with Queue of the Printer

Guy's This is the Queue of the printer ... >lpstat -pTOPPRINTER Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- --------- --- ------------------ ---------- ---- -- ----- --- --- TOPPRIN @TOPP DOWN QUEUED ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
1 Replies

10. AIX

Retrieving printer queue properties

Hi everyone! I've been stuck with a job I'm struggling with. A while back we loaded a large number of printer queues into our AIX environment through smit. Since then some of the details have gone astray, including full details on the older printer queues. I need to gather together details on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoverbury
2 Replies
lpd(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    lpd(8)

NAME
lpd - line printer daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/lbin/lpd [-l] FLAGS
Causes the lpd daemon to log valid requests received from the network. This flag is useful for debugging. DESCRIPTION
The lpd line printer daemon (spool area handler) normally is invoked at boot time. The daemon makes a single pass through the printcap(4) file to determine the existing printers and to print all files that were not printed before the system shut down. The daemon uses system calls listen(2) and accept(2) to receive requests to print files in the queue, to transfer files to the spooling area, and to display the queue or remove jobs from the queue. In each case, the daemon forks a child process to handle the request so that the parent process can continue to listen for more requests. The Internet port number used to interact with other processes is identified with the getservby- name(3) system call and is specified in the /etc/services file by its printer service record entry. Access control is provided by the following means: All requests must originate from one of the machines listed in the /etc/hosts.equiv or /etc/hosts.lpd file. When an rs capability, which restricts remote users to those with local accounts, is specified in the /etc/printcap file for the printer being accessed, an lpr or lp request is honored only for those users having accounts on the same machine as the printer. The minfree ASCII file in each spool directory contains the number of disk blocks to leave free so that the line printer queue will not completely fill the disk. The lock file in each /usr/spool subdirectory is used to prevent more than one active lpd daemon and to store information about the daemon process for other printer spooling commands. After the lpd daemon has successfully set the lock in the lock file, it scans the /usr/spool subdirectory for files beginning with the characters cf. Records in each of the cf files specify files to be printed or specify one or more non-printing actions to be performed. Each such record begins with a key character that specifies what to do with the remainder of the line. In the following table, the columns list the beginning key character, the key-character name, and its purpose: Name of the machine where the lpr daemon or the lp command was invoked. Login name of the person who invoked the lpr or lp commands. This record is used to verify ownership by the lprm or cancel com- mands. String to be used for the job name on the burst page. String to be used for the classification line on the burst page. The record line provides identification information from the etc/passwd file and initiates banner page printing. The number of character spaces to indent the output (spacing is from the ASCII character set). Sends mail to the specified user when the current print job completes. Name of another font file to use in place of the default font file. Name of another font file to use in place of the default font file. Name of another font file to use in place of the default font file. Name of another font file to use in place of the default font file. Changes the page width (in characters) used by the pr command and by text filters. Selects the input tray that supplies paper for the print job. Selects the output tray where the printed paper is deposited. Specifies the orientation of the printed output on the page. Note that for certain print filters, such as pcfof, the O flag is used to specify other options such as even to print even-numbered pages. Specifies whether the job should be printed on both sides of the physical sheet and whether the pages should be rotated by 180 degrees. String to be used as the title for the pr command. Name of an already formatted file to print. Name of a file to print using the pr com- mand as a filter. Similar to f, but passes control characters and does not make page breaks. The file contains troff output (cat photo- typesetter commands). The file contains DVI (device-independent) troff output. The file contains Tex(l) output (DVI format from Stan- ford). The file contains a raster image. The file contains data produced by the cifplot command. The file contains text data with For- tran carriage control characters. Do not interpret any control characters in the file. Name of file to remove on completion of printing. The name of the file undergoing printing, or when blank, for the standard input (when the lpr or lp command is invoked in a pipeline or when the command is invoked from the standard input). Whenever a file cannot be opened for printing, a message is logged via the syslog(3) subroutine using the LOG_LPR facility. In this case, the lpd daemon tries to reopen a file, which it expects to be referenced by a correct pathname, up to 20 times. If a file cannot be opened after 20 tries, lpd goes to the next file. The lpd daemon uses the flock(2) system call to provide exclusive access to the lock file and to prevent multiple daemons from being simultaneously activated. If the daemon is killed or dies unexpectedly, the lock file does not have to be removed. The 2-line ASCII /usr/spool/lock file contains two lines. The first line specifies the process ID of the daemon, and the second line spec- ifies the control file name of the job currently undergoing printing. The second line is updated to reflect the current status of the lpd daemon for commands lpq, lprm, cancel, and lpstat. NOTE - Printer Log Files The lpd does not automatically purge log files. You should monitor logs regularly or set up a cleaning task using the cron command. See similar commands for syslog.dated in /usr/var/spool/cron/crontabs FILES
Specifies the command path. Printer description file. Spool directories. The location of spool directories is a convention, but not nec- essary (see the /etc/printcap file). The transient lock file which records print daemon and job status. On clustered systems, this tran- sient file is created to contain the daemon status. Note that the /usr/spool/lpd directory is a Context Dependent Symbolic Link (CDSL) and should not be manually created or destroyed. Minimum free disk space to leave. Line printer devices. Socket for local requests. Lists machine names allowed access to a printer. Lists machine names allowed access to a printer, but which are not under same administrative control. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cancel(1), lp(1), lpc(8), lpr(1), lpq(1), lpstat(1), lprm(1), pac(8), pcfof(8) Calls: syslog(3) delim off lpd(8)