Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Conversion of rows to columns using awk based om column value Post 302972072 by Don Cragun on Friday 29th of April 2016 03:08:05 PM
Old 04-29-2016
I'm not sure why you have a closing COLOR tag in your input file nor why it shouldn't be copied to your output file, but ignoring that, the following seems to do what you want:
Code:
awk '
/^dn:/ {printf("%s%s", (NR > 1) ? "\n" : "", $0)
	next
}
{	printf("%s%s", (sub(/:/, "&")) ? "|" : "", $0)
}
END {	print ""
}' file

which, if file contains your sample input, produces the output:
Code:
dn:adcfgeneral|id:13343|Name:xxxxxx|Password:iutyerwuitywue wpuwttuiytruityrutyrwtyrwp
dn:cdferwjyyyy[/COLOR]|id:3875|Name:yyyy|Password :hgfdsjkfhdsfkdlshfdshfkldshfdklsfh|interset:uiuiufj

As always, if you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk or nawk.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to select rows based on condition on column

I have got a file like this 003ABC00281020091005000100042.810001 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maruti
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arrange output based on rows into columns

Hi All, I would like to ask help on how can i achieve below output. Inputfile: Oct11,apa1-daily,01:25:01 Oct11,apa2-daily,01:45:23 Oct12,apa1-daily,02:30:11 Oct12,apa2-daily,01:55:01 Oct13,apa1-off,01:43:34 Oct13,apa2-off,01:22:04 Desired output: Clients ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mars101
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

conversion and transpositions of columns and rows

Hi, I am wondering how to do this more efficiently than I am currently doing it: I have these 3 columns 3315 E14 1 397 E14 2 321 E14 3 27 E14 4 7 E14 5 2 E14 6 But I like them to be displayed like this: 1 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skipping rows based on columns

Hi, suppose I have the following file and certain rows have missing columns, how do i skip these rows and create an output file which has all the columns in it E/N Ko_exp %err Ko_calc %err diff diff- diff+ 0.95 ======== ======= ==== ======= ==== ===== ===== =====... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging rows into new file based on rows and first column

I have 2 files, file01= 7 columns, row unknown (but few) file02= 7 columns, row unknown (but many) now I want to create an output with the first field that is shared in both of them and then subtract the results from the rest of the fields and print there e.g. file 01 James|0|50|25|10|50|30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A-V
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help!!!! Awk for summing columns based on selected column value

a,b,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,aa,bb,cc,dd,ee,ff,gg,hh,ii a thru ii are digits and strings.... The awk needed....if coloumn 9 == i (coloumn 9 is string ), output the sum of x's(coloumn 22 ) in all records and sum of y's (coloumn 23 ) in all records in a file (records.txt).... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrownBob
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Columns to rows conversion in unix

Hi All, My requirement is to convert the rows to columns, please help me how to do in one command. Ex: source file is having data like ABC,XYZ,123,987,KKK,XXX,666 Need output like ABC XYZ 987 KKK XXX 666 Regards, Pavan. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madsongtel
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert rows to columns based on condition

I have a file some thing like this: GN Name=YWHAB; RC TISSUE=Keratinocyte; RC TISSUE=Thymus; CC -!- FUNCTION: Adapter protein implicated in the regulation of a large CC spectrum of both general and specialized signaling pathways GN Name=YWHAE; RC TISSUE=Liver; RC ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj_k
13 Replies

9. Solaris

Rows to column conversion in Solaris

i am using the command pkginfo -l | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -e 'VENDOR' -e 'NAME' -e 'VERSION' >> /tmp/test1.txt in order to get name,vendor and version of the applications installed on Solaris machine.The output stored in test1.txt in as shown below: NAME: Solaris Zones (Usr) VERSION: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split columns after matching on rows and summing the last column

input: chr1 1 2 3 chr1 1 2 4 chr1 2 4 5 chr2 3 6 9 chr2 3 6 10 Code: awk '{a+=$4}END{for (i in a) print i,a}' input Output: chr112 7 chr236 19 chr124 5 Desired output: chr1 1 2 7 chr2 3 6 19 chr1 2 4 5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)