Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris SunOS 5.5.1 usage of Makefile command in make file Post 302971839 by rajujayanthy on Tuesday 26th of April 2016 08:32:16 AM
Old 04-26-2016
SunOS 5.5.1 usage of Makefile command in make file

I am new to Solaris and compilation using make files.
I have a code base which is organized into different folders. At the root folder is a master make file and in the sub directories, there are make files for that particular folder.

In the make files present in subdirectories, I am seeing that "Makefile" is being used as a command for generating .obj files. For e.g.
Code:
 abc.obj : abc.asm \
 ../kernal/xxx.def \
 ../kernal/yyy.def \
 ../kernal/zzz.def \
 ../kernal/queue.def \
 Makefile \
 aaa.def \
 bbb.asm \
 ccc.asm \
 ddd.mac

Some other line
Code:
 abc.obj : abc.asm Makefile $(BB_INCS) xxx.def

Below are my questions.

1. Why is "Makefile" being used as a command? What does it signify? It is not defined anywhere in any other make file also.
2. What is a .mac file in Solaris? what is it's purpose?
3. What is the use of .def file in SOlaris? What is it's purpose?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make and clean in a single rule in the makefile.

Hi, This stems from the following thread https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=18299 I have a makefile which makes either executables or a shared library. i.e. make -f unix.mak will create the executables and make -f unix.mak libolsv will create the shared library. Since these have to be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration of binary file from Sunos 5.8 to Sunos 5.9

I have compiled binary file using "cc" on SunOS 5.8 and the same binary file i have copied to SunOS 5.9 and it is giving me core dump error.I want to know whether migration of compiled code from lower version to higer version created this problem. how can i solve this problem.I am pasting the core... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arvind Maurya
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Questions about make -C in SunOS

I am using a SunOS to compile a project. The Makefile contains commands "$(MAKE) -C $$dir". However, in "man make" there is no -C option. I tried using MAKE=gmake but it failed too. My questions: 1. The make options for this SunOS is different from the gnu make options. Is it because of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yzhang
4 Replies

4. Programming

A question about Makefile run by GNU make

Hello everybody, Currently I'm learning how to build projects (C programming) with GNU make. I have a problem with one Makefile and I would appreciate if you could kindly give me a hand. Here is the environment: OS: Redhat linux 5 compiler: gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory Usage Monitor on Linux/SunOS Servers

ok, so i'm trying to write a shell script (not perl) that monitors memory usage on a server. but i'm confused as to what fields exactly determines that yes, memory is low on a particular server. it sounds simple enough, but it really isn't. what do I look for in the field below? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a script to make makefile

How do we create a shell script that creates a makefile? what if we want to use the #include header files too? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sslokhan
2 Replies

7. Programming

Makefile No rule to make target

I am trying to create a makefile to build a program and am getting the following error: make -f tsimplex.mk make: *** No rule to make target `/main/tsimplex_main.cpp', needed by `tsimplex_main.o'. Stop. OPSYS = $(shell uname -s ) TARGET = tsimplex ROOTDIR = ../../.. GTSDIR =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script from makefile - it is called each time i call make

I've created a tag in the makefile: mytag: $(shell ${PWD}/script.sh) When i do: make clean - the script is executed When i perform make or make mytag the script is again executed with the output: make: Nothing to be done for mytag What i want ? I want script.sh to be executed only... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pufo
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Makefile on SunOS 5.11 Openindiana Hipster

SOLVED NOW Solution: Using bmake was the key. Ran into some few errors when using the compilers and the trick here was to first install the pkg system/header and then assign the working compiler in command line like this: bmake CC=/path/to/relevant/gcc CXX=/path/to/relevant/g++... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sometimespeter
0 Replies

10. Programming

Makefile instructions to create directories (CentOS7 , GNU Make 3.82)

Hello, My makefiles are set up to generate an environment specific build directory based on the local configuration and some values passed to make. It generally looks like, # compilers, may be passed to make CC++ = g++ FCOMP = gfortran # version of program, may be passed to make ver =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)