Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wait and continue if directory stays same size Post 302971785 by bakunin on Monday 25th of April 2016 05:08:46 PM
Old 04-25-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkwild
i want to make a bash script so it can monitor directory sizes ie if it stays the same size (for a certain time) i want it to run the script
Please clarify what you mean by "size of a directory": A "directory" as such is a data structure in a filesystem and has no "size" that could change.

Do you mean the (sum of the sizes of the) file(s) in a certain directory? Like a directory being filled with files (say, by ftp or similar means) and you want to process the directory only when this process has stopped?

If so: there is the du command that should do what you want. You can specify the directory and use the "-s" option to make the calculation recurse through the underlying hierarchy. I suggest you first read the man page of du to see what it can do and then construct a small loop which checks if the reurned value changes or doesn't change. There is no need for something like watch or whatnot where a simple shell-loop is sufficient.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

detect file size then quit or continue

Hi Guys, I'm running a cron that mails me a file every night. The file is based on form input from the web and each evening after I mail it I delete and start a new file by the same name. It's a csv file so I preload a line of headers into the file. So far, so good. On days when no one inputs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven99
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory tree with directory size

find . -type d -print 2>/dev/null|awk '!/\.$/ {for (i=1;i<NF;i++){d=length($i);if ( d < 5 && i != 1 )d=5;printf("%"d"s","|")}print "---"$NF}' FS='/' Can someone explain how this works..?? How can i add directory size to be listed in the above command's output..?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script: If a file stays in a particular directory more than 30 min send an email

Hi , I am new to shell scripting. i have a requirement say i will receive a file in a directory say /xyz.if that file stays in that directory more than 30 min i need to get a mail to my outlook.this should run for every 20 min in crontab. can anyone help me? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line in bash script to wait for x feedbacks and then continue

I have a script that runs a console/terminal command on the server and what is want is for each of the multiple success reports fed back from the clients (echo-ed out onto the conosle) to be counted and after x number of reports reboot the server. The Details: The command (program) is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dp123
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

while [[ $# -gt 0 ]] stays in the loop

Hi, I have(ksh): ... while ] do fullPath=$(grep -s '/' $1 | wc -l) echo $fullPath if ]; then fi echo "Wrong, full path" shift done ... I tried to do: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chish
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If file pattern exists in directory then continue

he below looks in $dir for any pattern of fileone. As is, it executes but only returns File found if the exact format in the script exsists. Why isn't a pattern of fileone being looked for and if it is in $dir, File found. I think that is what should happen. Thank you :). dir=/path/to if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
NcdT(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   NcdT(1)

NAME
ncdt - directory tree printer with extended capabilities SYNOPSIS
ncdt [-db?] [--dirs] [--bitrate] [--prefix text ] [--help] [ directory [ name ]] DESCRIPTION
ncdt is a small utility for printing directory trees. It has some additional features not found in tree(1). Additional capabilities are: - size field for directories displays the summary size of directory subtree instead of the size of the special file (which is somewhat more useful) - sizes are displayed in a more readable format (that's a minor improvement, but it helps a little) - MP3 files are detected; additional info is displayed for them (which is probably the nicest thing about NcdT) The info is displayed in a compact form, like <2:53 v168JR+> where 2:53 is play time, v (if present) means the file is encoded using VBR, 168 is bitrate (average bitrate for VBR files), J describes channel encoding (Mono, Stereo, Joint-Stereo, Dual channel), R (if present) means the file has a RIFF header at the beginning, + (if present) means the file has ID3v2 tag attached - (if present) means there's no ID3 tag at all (none of these means there's only ID3v1 tag present). NcdT is particularily nice for indexing CDs. OPTIONS
-d --dirs Print only directories, omit files. This mode is a rough equivalent of du(1). -b --bitrate Print bitrate info for directories. Bitrates are displayed both for ordinary files and directories. If all MP3 files in a given directory subtree have the same bitrate only one number is printed, if they have various bitrates the range is printed. --prefix text Prefix listing with given text. This option is not intended for general use. It might be used by programs using NcdT to index CDsor doing similar operations to record additional information. -? --help Display usage summary. USAGE
When called without any parameters ncdt displays directory tree for current directory (.). When called with one parameter ncdt displays directory tree for specified directory. When called with two parameters ncdt displays directory tree for the directory specified as its first parameter. Second parameter is used as directory label for the top level directory (instead of directory name from parameter 1). EXAMPLES
ncdt prints directory tree for the current directory. It will be labeled . ncdt /usr prints directory tree of /usr. It will be labeled /usr ncdt /cdrom 'CD #21' prints directory tree of /cdrom. It will be labeled CD #21 ncdt -db /cdrom lists directory sizes, play times and bitrate ranges SEE ALSO
tree(1), du(1) BUGS
NcdT uses quite a lot of memory. It's also not very fast, but on a decent CPU it should not be noticeable. There are no real bugs I'm aware of. I don't think there are any now. AUTHOR
Pawel Wiecek <coven@vmh.net> NcdT(1)