Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Cut command: can't make it cut fields Post 302971693 by RudiC on Sunday 24th of April 2016 09:03:13 AM
Old 04-24-2016
Do I get you right that you want the permissions, owner, group, and file name from ls's "long listing format" (as the bare ls alone won't yield those fields)? As long as you don't have white space in file names (as mentioned by Don Cragun), this
Code:
ls -l | tr -s " " " " | cut -d" " -f 1,3,4,9

might do. With spaces in there, try
Code:
...,9-

Not sure why you need the .tsv resulting file name?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut fields

I want to cut two coloums simulatiously and paste in some other file for ex: cut d ' ' -f3 -f4 xxx | paste yyy - > zzz; from the above i want to cut two fileds 3 and 4 and paste as last coloums of single file (zzz). how to solve this regards rajan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Last 3 Fields

I have a text: dsj khfksjdh <time> EST 2006 ab cgnr jkkjt <time> EST 2006 gfhdgjghg <time> EST 2006 fkdjh kjhsekjrh kdjhfkh jhdfkhfdkjh kjdf <time> EST 2006 In the above file i need to extract time from every line... which is always the third from the last... Pls help! Cheers, Bouren (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bourne
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut: get either one or two fields

Hello, I would like to extract one or two fields of a line. At the moment, I am extracting the first field of a line: command | cut -f 1 -d '.' > file The line can have two or three fields delimited with a dot. if three fields, I want to be able to get the first two ie if line =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxvirrozeito
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut Command error cut: Bad range

Hi Can anyone what I am doing wrong while using cut command. for f in *.log do logfilename=$f Log "Log file Name: $logfilename" logfile1=`basename $logfilename .log` flength=${#logfile1} Log "file length $flength" from_length=$(($flength - 15)) Log "from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the cut command read a column after logical statements are meet?

Hi, I want to write a code that will cut everything that is under a couple of columns in a text file but so far I am not even close to achieve something like that. Basically, I want to cut all the information from the columns and transfer the column information to a spread sheet. I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pericopericone
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut pid from ps using cut command

hay i am trying to get JUST the PID from the ps command. my command line is: ps -ef | grep "mintty" | cut -d' ' -f2 but i get an empty line. i assume that the delimiter is not just one space character, but can't figure out what should i do in order to do that. i know i can use awk or cut... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran ber
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a separator string between fields in cut -c command

Hi All, I'm trying to view data using cut command for a fixed length file using the below command: cut -c 1-3,4-5 FALCON_PIS_00000000.dat I want to mention a separator say | (pipe) in between 1-3 and 4-5. Please let me know how to achieve this. Thanks in Advance, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Count Fields For Cut?

I am new to cut and I want to use the field option with a space delimiter on an Apache log file. For example, if I wanted to find the 200 HTTP code using cut in this manner on the file below cat access_abc.log | cut -d' ' -f7 | grep "200" 157.55.39.183 - - "GET /content/696-news041305... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharingsunshine
4 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file argu- ments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a num- ber, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, over- lapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use the first character of delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, delimited in the input by a single tab character. Output fields are separated by a single tab character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut if the -n option is specified. Their effect is described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 DIAGNOSTICS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BUGS
The -c option is a synonym for the -b option, which causes incorrect behaviour in locales that support multibyte characters. When operating on fields (-f option is specified), cut does not recognise multibyte characters, and the delim character is recognised in the middle of multibyte sequences. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD