Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - Multi-line data to be stored in variable Post 302971455 by chill3chee on Wednesday 20th of April 2016 10:51:05 AM
Old 04-20-2016
Hi MadeinGermany,
The NR is same for both the FS="@"and FS="[@]" However the NF differs in the above cases; as you specified for FS="@"it is treating line feeds as a delimiter. Thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Multi-Line Records Processing

I am an Awk newbie and cannot wrap my brain around my problem: Given multi-line records of varying lengths separated by a blank line I need to skip the first two lines of every record and extract every-other line in each record unless the first line of the record has the word "(CONT)" in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Multi-Line Records Numbering Problem

I have a set of files of multi-line records with the records separated by a blank line. I needed to add a record number to the front of each line followed by a colon and did the following: awk 'BEGIN {FS = "\n"; RS = ""}{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++)print NR,":",$i}' ~/Desktop/data98-1-25.txt >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the string stored in a variable in a line???

Hi all, I want to search for a data type in a line.For this in a loop i am checking for $DATA_TYPE in a line using grep.But grep is not able to find when i give this. Can any one tell me how to check string in $DATA_TYPE variable in line usign grep (or) any other way to do the above task. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating Pick multi dimensional data with awk.

Hi. I am reasonably new to awk, but have done quite a lot of unix scripting in the past. I have resolved the issues below with unix scripting but it runs like a dog. Moved to awk for speed and functionality but running up a big learning curve in a hurry, so hope there is some help here. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike.strategis
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: pattern not properly stored in variable?

Hey there, I have a table of contents file of the form 1 Title1 1.1 Subtitle1 1.1.1 Subsubtitle1 1.1.2 Subsubtitle2 ... and want to count the number of dots in the first field to find out the level of the section. I use the gsub function for the job, which works if I pass the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herrsimon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line variable script... needs help.

I am trying to write a script that will help me put a file into excel with little manipulation. Below is a sample of the file im using. Group1:*:gid1:user,user Group2:*:gid2:user,user Group3:*:gid3:user,user,user,user,user,user,user Group4:*:gid4:user,user I marked in red the part that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Do I Create A Multi Line Menu Variable?

I want something that would show up basically like: Menu ----- 1) Option 1 2) Option 2 3) Option 3 Pick one: I tried menu = " Menu \r\n ----- \r\n 1)Option 1 \r\n..............etc etc etc" but that didnt work (just got the whole menu one one line, with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SoVi3t
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Multiple files - 1 file with multi-line data

Greetings experts, Have 2 input files, of which 1 file has 1 record per line; in 2nd file, multiple lines constitute 1 record; Hence declared the RS=";" Now in the first file which ends with ";" at each line of the line; But \nis also being considered as part of the data due to which I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to lookup stored variable in file and print matching line

The bash bash below extracts the oldest folder from a directory and stores it in filename That result will match a line in bold in input. In the matching line there is an_xxx digit in italics that (once the leading zero is removed) will match a line in link. That is the lint to print in output.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)