Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot find localhost
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cannot find localhost Post 302971412 by RudiC on Wednesday 20th of April 2016 02:20:17 AM
Old 04-20-2016
Please believe jim mcnamara in that localhost is NOT a valid path used to locate executable commands/programs in your directory structure. If found in /etc/hosts, it can be resolved (by the resolver) if part of a URL.

EDIT:
But then, as a part of a URL, use it correctly, e.g. file://localhost/tmp The /etc/hosts entry does not map but connects IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...].

Last edited by RudiC; 04-20-2016 at 03:27 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can not find localhost in xntpdc

When I run "xntpdc" I get an error saying "can not find local host". If I run a "host <hostname>" and exit "xntpdc", upon returning to "xntpdc" the program gives me the same error. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jahnathan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding LocalHost IP Address

I am writing a program that need to be run on several machines. I am running UNIX and wanted to know if there is a command similar to ipconfig (in DOS) that would return the IP Address of the machine that I am working on. (Not just the loopback address of 127.0.0.1). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hazard0007
1 Replies

3. Linux

apache@localhost.localdomain

Hello, I am ltrying to find the config file to modify a parameter for apache (I guess). Here, when sending mail using php web form I get a copy of all mail sent from that form, but here is a sample of what I get : From : apache@localhost.localdomain To : myemail@host.com Subject : Mail ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

localhost problem!

hello guys, this morning when I start my pc (gentoo) I get some strange errors about localhost. "Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName" ... Apache the same for my aplications, I have to use the full address of my pc instead of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: georgeplus
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error while doing rcp to localhost

Hi, Rcping a file to localhost fails due to echo statement in .login file on a machine with RH 5.5 However, the same rcp is successful on another machine with Suse 9.2 (with the same .login). I cannot change .login file and was wondering at what could be causing this ? Command that I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolket
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

server can't find localhost: NXDOMAIN

Can someone PLEASE explain to me and advise on fix with the following error message ? # nslookup localhost Server: 192.168.1.1 Address: 192.168.1.1#53 ** server can't find localhost: NXDOMAIN my /etc/hosts file contains the following: # cat /etc/hosts # Do not remove... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't Open Display localhost:0.0

I'm trying to connect to my linux server but I'm having some major problems. The server had OEL 5 installed and my local pc is running Windows XP. I'm using PuTTy to connect to the server with Xming running on my loacl machine. I login as root and run the following command - export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethnsolomons
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DIG uses localhost

Hi, I have these entries in the /etc/esolv.conf: ------------ domain xxxxxx search yyyyyy nameserver 127.0.0.1 nameserver aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nameserver bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ------------- When I use 'dig' or 'nslookup' command, like 'dig yahoo.com' it uses the localhost as the server. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Timeout: No Response from localhost

Hi All! I having an issue when trying to run snmpwalk, so the following command it returns an error: bash-3.00# /usr/sfw/bin/snmpwalk -v 2c -c public localhost sysDescr.0 Timeout: No Response from localhost bash-3.00# I have checked also: bash-3.00# svcs -a | grep sma online ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies

10. Debian

Waiting for localhost.

I am getting the message - waiting for localhost. Here are some diagnostic steps I have tried .... root@meow:/home/ethan# cat /var/www/cgi-bin/httpd.conf ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/jkj ServerName 127.0.0.1:80 Listen xx.xx.xx.xx:80 Listen 127.0.0.1:80 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies
dssi_osc_send(1)					      General Commands Manual						  dssi_osc_send(1)

NAME
dssi_osc_send - send OSC messages to DSSI applications. SYNOPSIS
dssi_osc_send <option> <OSC URL> <values> DESCRIPTION
dssi_osc_send sends DSSI OSC methods to DSSI applications. dssi_osc_send is typically used to control DSSI hosts (possibly for scripted operation), or to test DSSI user interfaces. OPTIONS
-c Send a `control' message. Requires two values to be supplied in the <values> section: control port and value. For example, to set control port 1 to 0.1: dssi_osc_send -c <OSC URL> 1 0.1 -p Send a `program' message. Requires two values to be supplied in the <values> section: bank and program number. For example, to select bank 0 program number 7: dssi_osc_send -p <OSC URL> 0 7 -m Send `midi' message. Requires four numbers to be supplied in the <values> section. For example, to send a note on, middle C, velocity 64: dssi_osc_send -m <OSC URL> 0 144 60 64 -C Send a `configure' message. The <values> are the key and value pair. For example, to send key `load' and value `/tmp/patches.pat': dssi_osc_send -C <OSC URL> load /tmp/patches.pat -s Send a `show' message. dssi_osc_send -s <OSC URL> -h Send a `hide' message. dssi_osc_send -h <OSC URL> -q Send a `quit' message. dssi_osc_send -q <OSC URL> -e Send a `exiting' message. dssi_osc_send -e <OSC URL> <OSC URL> The URL to connect to. For example: osc.udp://localhost:19383/dssi/test.1 osc.udp://my.host.org:10886/dssi/xsynth-dssi/Xsynth/chan00 SEE ALSO
dssi_osc_update(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was originally created by Mark Hymers from the help text of the application, for the Debian project (but may be freely used by others). January 5th, 2009 dssi_osc_send(1)