Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For loop without checking file exists Post 302971392 by migurus on Tuesday 19th of April 2016 05:24:04 PM
Old 04-19-2016
I added the echo in the loop to show that when nothing matches the N??? pattern the fn variable assumes value of N??? and that is the root of the question - when using
Code:
for fname in some_pattern

construct I thought the pattern evaluation happens before do and shell would simply not enter the do loop part when nothing matches.
This User Gave Thanks to migurus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

checking a connection still exists?

Hi I have a bit of c code which I'm trying to use as a relay between apache and a scgi cluster. Example of problem code is below: while((n = recv(scgiSock, local_data, MAX_LENGTH, 0)) > 0) { time(&t2); time_now = t2 - t1; if(time_now > TIMEOUT) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the file if it exists

Hi This will be useful who is looking for checking the files in a directory #chmod 777 /cronacle/tools/teradata/opo/bin/file_check.sh SUBJECT=`echo "File Not Found"` SUBJECT1=`echo "File Found"` #RECIPIENT=Madhu.Reddy@ge.com cd /cronacle/tools/teradata/opo/bin file_list=attach.sh if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmbabu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if a file exists

How can I check if a file exists in shell script. Basically, I want to check if a file Test_msgs has been created today. If it has been then append data to it. Otherwise, create it. I have written the following but it does not work. todaysdate=$(date +%d%m%Y) timenow=$(date +%H%M%S)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists using a NOT operator and shell variable

Hi, I'm new to UNIX, at least shell programming and am having trouble figuring out a problem i'm having. In one section in my nested if statement, i want the program to test if the file does not exist, based on an argument supplied at the command line by the user. What i have is elif ; then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowlf
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists

How can I check if a file exists in csh? I know there is "-e $file" but do not know exactly how to use it. I have tried the below but I'm getting "Bad : modifier in $ ( )." foreach f ($AfullnameLst) if (-e $f) then echo "$f: file exists" endif end (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the difference between -f and -e, when checking for file exists

Hi All, what is the difference between -f and -e. Regards, ch33ry (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking whether the file exists under a directory and doing a diff

Hi Everyone, I am writing a shell script for the below needs and would like your suggestions and advices. I have a lot of scripting files(Shell Scripts) under the directory: /home/risk_dev/dev I have another directory which has a lot of shell scripts under the directory: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop checking for file

Hi I my shell scripting(Main.ksh) i am calling the another loader.ksh using nohup inside the for loop ...so the above command runs parallel. Loader.ksh generate the dummy file seq_n.run file and deleted in the end of the Loader.ksh In the main.ksh .. after the for loop .. i have to check... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gavemani
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists and unzipping

Hey, I am new to scripting and was wondering what is wrong with this if statement. I want to check if file exists and the if it does to unzip it. I program it as follows if ; then gunzip *_filename.gz fi Thanks in advance! Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mostarac2487
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with ssh and checking if file exists

Hi All, I am facing a problem while checking for existence of file over ssh ! Basically, i want to ssh and check if file exists.. If file exists return 1. If file does not exits return 0 (or any value) I am using the below code file_avail=`ssh username@host "if ]; then exit 1;... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: galaxy_rocky
10 Replies
WILDMAT(3)						     Library Functions Manual							WILDMAT(3)

NAME
wildmat - perform shell-style wildcard matching SYNOPSIS
int wildmat(text, pattern) char *text; char *pattern; DESCRIPTION
Wildmat is part of libinn (3). Wildmat compares the text against the pattern and returns non-zero if the pattern matches the text. The pattern is interpreted according to rules similar to shell filename wildcards, and not as a full regular expression such as those handled by the grep(1) family of programs or the regex(3) or regexp(3) set of routines. The pattern is interpreted as follows: x Turns off the special meaning of x and matches it directly; this is used mostly before a question mark or asterisk, and is not spe- cial inside square brackets. ? Matches any single character. * Matches any sequence of zero or more characters. [x...y] Matches any single character specified by the set x...y. A minus sign may be used to indicate a range of characters. That is, [0-5abc] is a shorthand for [012345abc]. More than one range may appear inside a character set; [0-9a-zA-Z._] matches almost all of the legal characters for a host name. The close bracket, ], may be used if it is the first character in the set. The minus sign, -, may be used if it is either the first or last character in the set. [^x...y] This matches any character not in the set x...y, which is interpreted as described above. For example, [^]-] matches any character other than a close bracket or minus sign. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> in 1986, and posted to Usenet several times since then, most notably in comp.sources.misc in March, 1991. Lars Mathiesen <thorinn@diku.dk> enhanced the multi-asterisk failure mode in early 1991. Rich and Lars increased the efficiency of star patterns and reposted it to comp.sources.misc in April, 1991. Robert Elz <kre@munnari.oz.au> added minus sign and close bracket handling in June, 1991. This is revision 1.10, dated 1992/04/03. SEE ALSO
grep(1), regex(3), regexp(3). WILDMAT(3)