Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - Multi-line data to be stored in variable Post 302971275 by chill3chee on Monday 18th of April 2016 12:57:51 PM
Old 04-18-2016
Thank You MadeInGermany; The first solution did work; however the second solution did produce the same output as my post (not able to recognize ; as RS) Can you please explain how
Code:
[@]

different is to that of a simple ones;
Code:
awk -F "@"....

Code:
awk -F "[@]"...

I am not able to understand the difference as I am learning awk Smilie

Edit:
Does [] ignore the conventional "\n" as RS unless specified other than this in all cases and does awk -F "@" considers the RS as "\n" when the specified RS is not specified or found in the entire line..

Last edited by chill3chee; 04-18-2016 at 02:08 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Multi-Line Records Processing

I am an Awk newbie and cannot wrap my brain around my problem: Given multi-line records of varying lengths separated by a blank line I need to skip the first two lines of every record and extract every-other line in each record unless the first line of the record has the word "(CONT)" in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Multi-Line Records Numbering Problem

I have a set of files of multi-line records with the records separated by a blank line. I needed to add a record number to the front of each line followed by a colon and did the following: awk 'BEGIN {FS = "\n"; RS = ""}{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++)print NR,":",$i}' ~/Desktop/data98-1-25.txt >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the string stored in a variable in a line???

Hi all, I want to search for a data type in a line.For this in a loop i am checking for $DATA_TYPE in a line using grep.But grep is not able to find when i give this. Can any one tell me how to check string in $DATA_TYPE variable in line usign grep (or) any other way to do the above task. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating Pick multi dimensional data with awk.

Hi. I am reasonably new to awk, but have done quite a lot of unix scripting in the past. I have resolved the issues below with unix scripting but it runs like a dog. Moved to awk for speed and functionality but running up a big learning curve in a hurry, so hope there is some help here. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike.strategis
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: pattern not properly stored in variable?

Hey there, I have a table of contents file of the form 1 Title1 1.1 Subtitle1 1.1.1 Subsubtitle1 1.1.2 Subsubtitle2 ... and want to count the number of dots in the first field to find out the level of the section. I use the gsub function for the job, which works if I pass the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: herrsimon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line variable script... needs help.

I am trying to write a script that will help me put a file into excel with little manipulation. Below is a sample of the file im using. Group1:*:gid1:user,user Group2:*:gid2:user,user Group3:*:gid3:user,user,user,user,user,user,user Group4:*:gid4:user,user I marked in red the part that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Do I Create A Multi Line Menu Variable?

I want something that would show up basically like: Menu ----- 1) Option 1 2) Option 2 3) Option 3 Pick one: I tried menu = " Menu \r\n ----- \r\n 1)Option 1 \r\n..............etc etc etc" but that didnt work (just got the whole menu one one line, with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SoVi3t
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Multiple files - 1 file with multi-line data

Greetings experts, Have 2 input files, of which 1 file has 1 record per line; in 2nd file, multiple lines constitute 1 record; Hence declared the RS=";" Now in the first file which ends with ";" at each line of the line; But \nis also being considered as part of the data due to which I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to lookup stored variable in file and print matching line

The bash bash below extracts the oldest folder from a directory and stores it in filename That result will match a line in bold in input. In the matching line there is an_xxx digit in italics that (once the leading zero is removed) will match a line in link. That is the lint to print in output.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)