Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep with Regex multiple characters Post 302971121 by Lost in Cyberia on Friday 15th of April 2016 08:23:01 PM
Old 04-15-2016
Thanks for the quick response on a friday! Okay..so the syntax you provided sort of worked. It did return the specified value of 9...but it also returned any line that had more than 9. It basically used 9 as the minimum but it had no limit.

Also... I've been so used to using egrep...why on earth can't egrep do this, but regular grep can??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use of regex on grep

having a look on the regex site I saw that characters can be search using hex values http://www.regular-expressions.info/characters.html So I try to use it whith grep to find a è on a string (octal Decimal Hexa : 350 232 E8) but it doesn't work E.g. /usr/bin/echo '\0350' | egrep '\xE8' ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solea
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep with Regex help!

Hello everybody, I'd like to know how is it I should write a regex in unix to match a string not followed by another string (anywhere in the line). To be more specific, I want to find lines where "drop table" is found, but not followed anywhere in the line by the character "&". For... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvalonso
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex and grep

I want it to find lines that contain any number of capital letters before P this is what I have tried echo "AAAAAP" | grep 'P' echo "AAAAAP" | grep '\{1\}P' echo "AAAAAP" | grep '^*P' But none of them seem to work, any help is much appreciated thanks Calypso (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Calypso
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

| help | unix | grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1 | advanced regex syntax

Hello, I'm working on unix with grep (GNU grep) 2.5.1. I'm going through some of the newer regex syntax using Regular Expression Reference - Advanced Syntax a guide. ls -aLl /bin | grep "\(x\)" Which works, just highlights 'x' where ever, when ever. I'm trying to to get (?:) to work but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MykC
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print last five characters with PERL regex

greetings citizens of Unix.com I am perplexed with an issue. The issue is trying to print the last 5 characters of a string in PERL. Below are demonstrated my daft attempts at performing the forementioned task. $row =~ m/^.*(.....)\s$/; $row =~ m/\w{5}\s*$/i;$row =~... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simply seth
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep -v and regex

How to match lines that don't contain a patern in regex it self, without using the -v option of grep? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string with regex numeric characters

Hi all, I have the following entries in a file: Cause Indicators=80 90 Cause Indicators=80 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 Cause Indicators=82 90 The first 2 digits might change so I am after a sort of grep which could find any first 2 digits + the second 2,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep in regex

Hello guys, Here i am writing a script in bash to check for a valid URL from a file using regex This is my input file http://www.yahoo.commmmmm http://www.google.com https://www.gooogle.co www.test6.co.in www.gmail.com www.google.co htt://www.money.com http://eeeess.google.com... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep regex

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a grep command to match the following pattern from a file: <EGS>10234567<EGS> I used this following command to do this: grep -E '^<EGS>{8}<EGS>' test.txt In output I got: <EGS>10234567<EGS> Till now it work, but if I add something at the end of the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify illegal characters in a perso-arabic database

I am working on Sindhi: a perso-Arabic script and since it shares the Unicode-block with over 400 other languages, quite often the database contains characters which are not wanted: illegal characters. I have identified the character set of Sindhi which is given below: For clarity's sake, each... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
8 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)