Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script for rename many files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script for rename many files Post 302971108 by Don Cragun on Friday 15th of April 2016 05:00:34 PM
Old 04-15-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetablu
You're right. I lose the files. How can I fix?
Thank you
Unless you had backups of your files before you destroyed some of them, they are gone. To avoid the problem in the future, change the script suggested by rdrtx1 to something more like:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

printf 'Enter starting number (0-9999): '
read n
if [ "$n" != "${n#*[^0-9]*}" || [ ${#n} -lt 1 ] || [ ${#n} -gt 4 ]
then	printf 'Starting number ("%s") is invalid\n' "$n" >&2
	exit 1
fi

# Move existing files into a different namespace...
for file in DSC_*.JPG
do	mv "$file" "old_$file"
done

# Now move them to the new locations in the original namespace.
for file in old_DSC_*.JPG
do	mv "$file" DSC_$(printf "%04d" $n).JPG
	n=$(($n+1))
done

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Rename Files with a script ?

Hi All !!! Is there any solution to get rid of / " * in old files names WITH A SCRIPT (About 100 Gb of old files) I know it can be done i just dont know how ! Hope that some one can help Best R. Yovel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoveln
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to rename files

Have files of the sort 3p1522015.dgn and need to have them renamed to 152201.dgn. Essentially dropping the 1st 2 characters and the last. I'm relatively new to UNIX and uncertain of where to start. I hope this provides enough detail. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dinkster
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to rename files

Let me preface this by stating I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing in this arena, but I'm in need of a little help here. I need to take filenames like this: amwed_0402c-slug~1-cp.jpg And reduce them to slug~1.jpg That is, I need to remove the first 12 and last 3 characters. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpreovol
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to rename files

Hi, i need a bit of help writting a tcsh script which renames all ascii text files in the current directory by adding a number to their names before the extension so for example, a directory containing the files Hello.txt Hello.t Hello should have the following changes, Hello.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakuzaa
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to Rename Files

I wrote a simple script that converts my windows text files to unix, so that I can compare them to different unix files purposes of my project. win2unix file1.txt file1Win.txt win2unix file2.txt file2Win.txt etc Is there a way to simplify this to: <while .txt in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: idano530
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Rename files

Hello, I have this problem. In a directory I have 4 csv files with this format: PHOENIX_KM_INTERAZIONI_YYYYMMDD.csv PHOENIX_KM_TRIPLETTE_YYYYMMDD.csv NEWCAB_KM_INTERAZIONI_YYYYMMDD.csv NEWCAB_KM_INTERAZIONI_YYYY_MM_DD.csv YYYYMMDD: format CURRENT date I wont rename all files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manichino74
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to rename files

I have the following directories in my home directory, my scripts dbmig es ms_done my-home I want my output to look like the following MyScripts DbmigEs MsDone MyHome Basically, I want to get rid of spaces,special characters and convert the first letter of each word to uppercase and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files in the script

Hi All, I want to write a script to rename the file in to the incremental order for example Original file filename=/nfs/n1/file1.img filename=/nfs/n1/file1.img filename=/nfs/n1/file1.img filename=/nfs/n1/file1.img filename=/nfs/n1/file1.img I want output shpuld be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mangeshpardhi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to rename mp3 files

hi there, i'm using OS X. i have a bunch of mp3 files strewn across a directory tree that i'd like to rename. specifically i'd like to remove any track numbers and leading non-alphabetic characters from the filenames like this: 01 - song1.mp3 2 song2.mp3 become: song1.mp3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: creakyshrimp
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to unzip files and Rename the Output-files

Hi all, I have a many folders with zipped files in them. The zipped files are txt files from different folders. The txt files have the same names. If i try to find . -type f -name "*.zip" -exec cp -R {} /myhome/ZIP \; it fails since the ZIP files from different folders have the same names and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmkenya
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)