Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Process files in loop which have spaces in name Post 302971066 by Wernfried on Friday 15th of April 2016 09:55:16 AM
Old 04-15-2016
Process files in loop which have spaces in name

I have a folder with files and I have to process them in a loop. However the filenames have space characters, so the list get split.

Code:
$ touch "File Number_1"
$ touch "File Number_2"
$ ls "/tmp/File Number"_*
/tmp/File Number_1  /tmp/File Number_2

I tried following (sorry for using the `tcsh`):
Code:
$ foreach file ( `ls "/tmp/File Number"_*` )
foreach? echo ">"$file"<"
foreach? end
>/tmp/File<
>Number_1<
>/tmp/File<
>Number_2<

$ set FILES = ( `ls "/tmp/File Number"_*` )
$ while ( $#FILES )
while? echo ">"$FILES[1]"<"
while? shift FILES
while? end
>/tmp/File<
>Number_1<
>/tmp/File<
>Number_2<

set FILES = "/tmp/File Number"_*
... same as above

Can you help me to solve my problem?

btw, I don't mind to get a solution which renames the files. The files will be renamed anyway.

Best Regards
Wernfried

Last edited by Wernfried; 04-15-2016 at 11:34 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop using find with file name spaces

Hello All, This question is actually for the service console of VMware ESX 3.5 but is relevant to this forum I think. I have been advised to use the following commands: for i in `find /vmfs/volumes/Test_VMFS/ -name "*.vmx"` do echo "$i" #sed -i 's/scsi1:0.present =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mronsman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with for loop and a variable with spaces...Hi

Hi there, I don't understand the following behavior: toto:~$ for word in un "deux trois"; do echo $word; done un deux trois toto:~$ sentence='un "deux trois"' toto:~$ for word in $sentence; do echo $word; done un "deux trois" toto:~$ sentence="un 'deux trois'" toto:~$ for word in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop ( string having spaces )

Dear All, i facing problem to use string having spaces in for loop.. file used for FOR LOOP command.txt rpm -t -v ttm -D -r RJLL -h YELP rpm -t -v ttm -D -r RJLL -h ERRT rpm -t -v ttm -D -r RJLL -h TYYE rpm -t -v ttm -D -r RJLL -h POOL CODE using for execute above command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a for loop read in lines with spaces?

Is this possible? I have a for loop in a shell script reading a list, but I want each line to be a loop, not each thing with a space. Here is the example: HOSTLIST="\ 1.2.3.4 serverA 1.2.3.5 serverB" for NBUHOST in `echo $HOSTLIST` do ssh ${SERVERNAME} "echo "${NBUHOST}"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] for loop to process files

I need to process a dirtree containing ms office files such that each file is stored as a variable and also, just the file file stem. Why? They will be using as input and output parameters for another script. For example /path/to/second_script -i filename.docx -o filename Here's what I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: graysky
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop to process 2 files with same name in different path

Hello forum members, I hope you can help me with this I don't know hot to reach. I have a list of files in "/home/MyPath1/" and in "/home/MyPath2/". The files have the same name in both folders. (but different content, the content doesn't matter here I think) /home/MyPath1/ filename1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files with spaces in the filename in a for loop

Hi all, I've been tangoing with this one for a couple of days now and I'm still not making any progress. Basically I'm trying to match three numbers in a string from a text file with matching numbers in a jpeg, and then copying the results to another folder. Data looks like this: Model:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faceonline
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Script and not opening files containing spaces

Hello, I wrote a simple script, that basically wait for a *.dat-file in a certain folder, which is always a zipped file and extracts it. It worked before and i changed nothing in the script, but since last week i have the problem, that it doesnt extract files containing a space. How do i make... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blend_in
4 Replies
RMM(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMM(1)

NAME
rmm - remove messages SYNOPSIS
rmm [+folder] [msgs] [-unlink | -nounlink] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
By default, rmm will remove the specified messages by renaming each of the message files with a site-dependent prefix (usually a comma). Such files will then need to be removed in some manner after a certain amount of time. Many sites arrange for cron to remove these files once a day, so check with your system administrator. Alternately, if you wish for rmm to really remove the files representing these messages, you can use the -unlink switch. But messages removed by this method cannot be later recovered. If you prefer a more sophisticated method of `removing' messages, you can define the rmmproc profile component. For example, you can add a profile component such as rmmproc: /home/foouser/bin/rmm_msgs then instead of simply renaming the message file, rmm will call the named program or script to handle the files that represent the messages to be deleted. Some users of csh prefer the following: alias rmm 'refile +d' where folder `+d' is a folder for deleted messages, and alias mexp 'rm `mhpath +d all`' is used to "expunge" deleted messages. The current message is not changed by rmm, so a next will advance to the next message in the folder as expected. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder rmmproc: Program to delete the message SEE ALSO
refile(1), rmf(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msgs' defaults to cur `-nounlink' CONTEXT
If a folder is given, it will become the current folder. BUGS
Since refile uses your rmmproc to delete the message, the rmmproc must NOT call refile without specifying -normmproc, or you will create an infinte loop. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMM(1)