Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? How to destroy one's business...? Post 302971056 by bakunin on Friday 15th of April 2016 08:08:54 AM
Old 04-15-2016
OK, i have read the whole story and it boils down to a very bad case of "accidental rm -rf". But:
  • The Unix-variant the guy used is not named but i presume the guy used some sort of Linux. In Linux the rm-command has an already built-in protection against private persons (the translation of the greek terminus technicus for these people), see the man page:
    Code:
           --no-preserve-root
                  do not treat '/' specially

--preserve-root
                  do not remove '/' (default)

So, basically, to make an rm -rf / work at all you have to in fact override the default with rm --no-preserve-root -rf / and i wonder if this could happen by "accident".
  • Even given that this might happen, how comes the guy had all his backups mounted? Shouldn't there be at least one FS (or share, ...) to mount for every day/generation so that - if somethiing bad happens, like a corrupted FS - only one day worth of backups is destroyed?
  • And even then, how comes he hasn't tested his script prior to running it on production? Routinely, before doing an rm -rf <something> i do a echo <something> just to get an idea of what <something> might consist of.

So, all in all, i think this guy deserves the IT-equivalent of the Darwin Award for successfully cleaning himself out of the list of people doing business in the computer branch. This leaves more room for experts to do what he was clearly unfit to do - good!

Dear paratrooping experts, maybe you can help me out: i incidentally forgot that i had purposefully removed my parachute after i happened to enter a plane and then involuntarily opened its door and accidentally jumped out of it as it reached its maximum altitude of 35000 ft. Right now i am rapidly approaching the altitude of zero and maybe you can suggest what i should do now.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to Destroy a processor set i.e pset

First of all I'm new to solaris. Today is the first day i'm practicing zones. In global zone i have created a two separate pools of 2CPU's and created a email-zone and a web-zone as given in a PDF. I deleted the 2 zones in the processor sets. How can i destroy the processor set and i want my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: breaker64
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Cron entry for every 10 mints on business day business hour

Could you “crontab” it to run every 10 minutes on work days (Mo - Fr) between 08:00 and 18:00 i know to run every 10 mints but can any one guide me how to achieve the above one (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venikathir
2 Replies

3. Solaris

ZFS - Dataset / pool name are the same...cannot destroy

I messed up my pool by doing zfs send...recive So I got the following : zpool list NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT rpool 928G 17.3G 911G 1% 1.00x ONLINE - tank1 928G 35.8G 892G 3% 1.00x ONLINE - So I have "tank1" pool. zfs get all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: eladgrs
8 Replies

4. Hardware

Plop boot manager Destroy the pc

Hello friends , yesterday i used plop boot manager to shutdown the pc but after using it, nothing happened on screen , i mean cpu is running but monitor show blank screen and then i reassembled the whole pc again ,cleaned , reattach all the devices again but problem persist . Any help (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rink
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Destroy Script Direction Help

Being a beginner in scripting I am not sure the direction to take to accomplish the below task and would love suggestions. GOAL input file: domains.list Read input file, search in named.conf and find domain and delete entry for the purpose of cleanup activity. named.conf entry example zone... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: djzah
8 Replies
PAGESJAUNES(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   PAGESJAUNES(1p)

NAME
pagesjaunes - Lookup phones numbers from www.pagesjaunes.fr SYNOPSIS
pagesjaunes [options ...] Options: -activite -business : Business type -nom -name : Name -prenom -firstname : First name -localite -town : Town -departement -district : Dept district or Region -useragent : String to be passed as User-Agent header (this may be needed to bypass user-agent detection) -fast : Submit the request directly without querying the form -separator : Character used to separate the fields (default ' ') -limit : Maximum number of results returned -english : Use the pagesjaunes.fr english interface -quiet : Turn off error messages display -help : Brief help message -man : Full documentation -version : Display version number You must provide the localite/town option, and either activite/business or nom/name option. The prenom/firstname option is ignored if the localite/town option is set. OPTIONS
-activite or -business Activity or business type you're looking for. This is a mandatory switch if you don't specify the -name or -nom switches. -nom or -name Name of the person or company you're looking for. Note that the search is done with a fuzzy match. -prenom or -firstname First name of the person you're looking for. This option is ignored if the -activite or -business are set. -adresse or -address Address of the person you're searching for. -localite or -town Name of the town. -department or -district Department district or Region you're searching in. -separator Character used to separate fields in the result set. Default is a tabulation character. -useragent The default user-agent string passed to the www.pagesjaunes.fr site is ""WWW::Search::Pagesjaunes/x.xx" where x.xx is the version of the module. Sometimes, it is needed to change it to other user-agent strings. -limit Maximum number of entries returned. Default is 50. If you set it to 0 or a negative number, it will return all the entries found. -english Use the english interface of pagesjaunes.fr. This means that you can enter business types in english (i.e. 'plumber' instead of 'plombier'), and error messages will be displayed in english. -quiet No error messages are printed when this switch is on -help Print a brief help message and exits. -man Prints the manual page and exits. -version Prints the version of the script and exits. DESCRIPTION
This script provides name, phone number and addresses of French telephone subscribers by using the http://www.pagesjaunes.fr directory and the WWW::Search::Pagesjaunes module. COPYRIGHT
Please read the Publisher information of <http://www.pagesjaunes.fr> available at the following URL: http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?html-=commun/avertissement.html&lang=en <http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?html-=commun/avertissement.html&lang=en> This script is Copyright (C) 2002, Briac Pilpre This script is free software; you can redistribute it or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. AUTHOR
Briac Pilpre <briac@cpan.org> perl v5.12.4 2011-11-02 PAGESJAUNES(1p)