Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Not able to login AIX server but able to login thru console. Post 302970896 by bakunin on Wednesday 13th of April 2016 09:13:14 AM
Old 04-13-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptor
i am able to login to AX server thru console but not able to login directly thru server.
also the server is not ping-able with other server.
As vbe already said this is perhaps because you have no network connection. This can have a lot of causes (on the client side as well as the servers), nobody can help you there without a lot more information.

If you regain the etwork connection and the problem still persists: every user has 2 attributes, "login" and "rlogin", which can be "true" or "false". See the output of the lsuser-command:

Code:
root@lpar # lsuser -a login rlogin foouser
foouser login=true rlogin=true

"login" allows the user to login at the console (or - which is the same - via the HMC). "rlogin" allows the user to connect to the system via the network. Many ssh-configurations are done in a way they do not honour this rlogin-setting, so you might be able to bypass this if your system is poorly configured, but if everything is set up correctly you should be unable to log on via network if "rlogin" is set to "false".

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login Console

Hi All, I am very new to Unix and already have a problem... My predecessor didn't note down the username and password to login to the console of an HP D Class 9000 enterprise server we have. I was wondering whether there is any way to bypass this console login screen in Unix... If not is there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RMadjitey
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot login via telnet or ssh to AIX 5.2 server

I somehow modified the system so that no one can telnet or ssh into this box as any user including root. I might have blown away important files, I don't know. Please let me know what I have to check to make it so that I can login. This is what I get when I try to telnet or ssh: telnet bk02... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Help me with console login problem

Hi, I have solaris 10 installed on my computer and when try to login in console mode, it would give output something like this. login:root Password: Last login: Thu May 29 10:00:55 on console -sh: syntax error: `(' unexpected -sh: grep: not found -sh: uname: not found -sh: test:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Cannot able to login on console

Hi I can neither able to login on console with my user ID nor with root user on HP-UX 9000/800 v11.11. I am putting the correct Password.While my colleague can login as his user on console. What is the reason that I can't login to console? Pl. help & thanks in advance. Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
5 Replies

5. Web Development

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
2 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both, when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
1 Replies

7. AIX

user cannot login into AIX-6.1 server

Dear Friends , I got a problem In our AIX 6.1 server . When I start or restart the machine I cannot Login the server . It shows a dialog box and shows some comments , those are : >> The DT messaging system could not be started . To correct the problem : 1. Choose to return the login... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

8. AIX

User Account Login Login on your AIX server

I want to learn AIX. I would like to find someone who would be willing to give me a login to their AIX home lab server. My intent is to poke around and discover the similarities and differences of AIX compared to other *NIXs. I am a UNIX admin so I can think of what some immediate concerns may... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_in_my_shel
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Console Login and Telnet

Hopefully my question makes sense, but I was wondering if the telnet service has anything to do with console logins or if they are completely unrelated. So for example, does the /etc/default/login file in UNIX have anything to do with Telnet? So if I want to verify that the root user can't login... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ixauditor
8 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to ssh or login to AIX server

We are having occasional problems accessing some AIX servers. When this happens we cannot ssh to the server in question or login via HMC console terminal window. We can ssh some commands to the server and get responses but other commands just hang, ssh serverA date returns the date, ssh serverA... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kierong
5 Replies
RLOGIN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 RLOGIN(1)

NAME
rlogin -- remote login SYNOPSIS
rlogin [-8EKLd] [-e char] [-i identity] [-l username] [-p port] host DESCRIPTION
Rlogin starts a terminal session on a remote host host. Rlogin first attempts to use the Kerberos authorization mechanism, described below. If the remote host does not supporting Kerberos the standard Berkeley rhosts authorization mechanism is used. The options are as follows: -8 The -8 option allows an eight-bit input data path at all times; otherwise parity bits are stripped except when the remote side's stop and start characters are other than ^S/^Q . -i The -i option specifies the local user name to use for authentication with the remote rlogind server. This overrides the default which is the name of the user invoking rlogin. -l The -l option specifies the name of the remote user to login as. This overrides the default which is the name of the user invoking rlogin. -E The -E option stops any character from being recognized as an escape character. When used with the -8 option, this provides a com- pletely transparent connection. -K The -K option turns off all Kerberos authentication. This option has no effect since Kerberos authentication is not available in this version. -L The -L option allows the rlogin session to be run in ``litout'' (see tty(4)) mode. -d The -d option turns on socket debugging (see setsockopt(2)) on the TCP sockets used for communication with the remote host. -e The -e option allows user specification of the escape character, which is ``~'' by default. This specification may be as a literal character, or as an octal value in the form nn. -p The -p option specifies the port to connect to. This overrides the default which is login. A line of the form ``<escape char>.'' disconnects from the remote host. Similarly, the line ``<escape char>^Z'' will suspend the rlogin ses- sion, and ``<escape char><delayed-suspend char>'' suspends the send portion of the rlogin, but allows output from the remote system. By default, the tilde (``~'') character is the escape character, and normally control-Y (``^Y'') is the delayed-suspend character. All echoing takes place at the remote site, so that (except for delays) the rlogin is transparent. Flow control via ^S/^Q and flushing of input and output on interrupts are handled properly. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by rlogin: TERM Determines the user's terminal type. SEE ALSO
rsh(1) HISTORY
The rlogin command appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Rlogin will be replaced by telnet(1) in the near future. More of the environment should be propagated. Linux NetKit (0.17) August 15, 1999 Linux NetKit (0.17)