Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help improving my script. Post 302970884 by bakunin on Wednesday 13th of April 2016 05:29:43 AM
Old 04-13-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by garlandxj11
What is the difference in "+" instead of "\;" ? What about that would help with the speed? Sorry for my ignorance. I really am trying to learn as I go on this. Smilie
First off: no problem! There no dumb questions, just dumb answers, so don't be shy.

The difference is that "\;" will call the command named in "-exec" each time a file is found. For instance, let us suppose in the curent directory are 5 files, "a", "b", "c", "d" and "e" (and nothing else):

Code:
find . -type f -exec rm {} \;

This wil delete all the files, but it will delete every file individually. In fact this will be executed:

Code:
rm a
rm b
rm c
rm d
rm e

But "rm" can take a list of files as well and this:

Code:
find . -type f -exec rm {} +

would be the same as

Code:
rm a b c d e

The difference seems to be small, but the most time, when calling a command like "rm", is the loading and starting of the program, not its execution. Therefore, if the command is executed only every fifth time the speed gain will be quite noticeably.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

improving my script (find & replace)

Hi all, I have a script that scan files, find old templet and replace it with new one. #!/bin/ksh file_name=$1 old_templet=$2 new_templet=$3 # Loop through every file like this for file in file_name do cat $file | sed "s/old_templet/new_templet/g" > $file.new #do a global searce and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir_yosha
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

improving my script

Hi; I want to access our customer database to retreive all clients that have as language index 2 or 3 and take their client number. My input is a file containing all client numbers. i access the data base using a function call "scpshow". The total number of clients i want to scan is 400 000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improving Unix Skills

Kindly any advice to improve my unix skills as electronic books i can download or valuable sites as this one etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving this validate function

Hi guys, I use this function which was provided to me by someone at this site. It works perfectly for validating a users input option against allowed options.. example: validateInput "1" "1 3 4 5" would return 0 (success) function validateInput { input=$1 allowedInput=$2 for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyscho
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving code by using associative arrays

I have the following code, and I am changing it to #!/bin/bash hasArgumentCModInfile=0 hasArgumentSrcsInfile=0 hasArgumentRcvsInfile=0 OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS="|=" # IFS controls splitting. Split on "|" and "=", not whitespace. set -- $* # Set the positional... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic help improving for in loop

I'm obviously very new to this. I'm trying to write a simple for loop that will read the directory names in /Users and then copy a file into the same subdir in each user directory. I have this, and it works but it isn't great. #!/bin/bash HOMEDIRS=/Users/* for dirs in $HOMEDIRS; do if ];... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heath_T
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with improving korn shell script

I am primarily a SQA/Tester and new to korn shell. How can I improve the following script? #/bin/ksh SourceLocation=~/Scripts/Test/Source TrackerLocation=~/Scripts/Test/Tracker TargetLocation=rdbusse@rdbmbp:/Users/rdbusse/Scripts/Test/Target for file in $(cd $SourceLocation; ls) do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bayouprophet
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving code

Gents, I did the below code to get an output (report) ,.. the code works fine but I believe it can be more shorted using better method. Please if you can help, to generate same output improving the code , will be great. here my code. # get diff in time awk '{$9=$8-prev8;prev8=$8;print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
8 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)