Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help improving my script. Post 302970868 by garlandxj11 on Tuesday 12th of April 2016 08:31:39 PM
Old 04-12-2016
Need help improving my script.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and provide input.
To start, I am not a linux/unix expert but I muddle through the best I can.
I am also in no way shape or form a programmer. Please keep that in mind as you read this script.

This script is designed to find all files in a given directory that begin with "asalog", find lines containing a specific word and then process down those lines and output just the needed information. These files are currently zipped. The files are stored on remote ZFS storage. Copying all of the files down to the local system at once then unzipping is not feasible do to storage limitations. The script works as designed but it is very slow to do the task.

Please look over the code and suggest ways that I could improve its speed. The last run took 238 minutes to complete.

Due to access limitations I have to work within BASH, I do not have the option (nor the knowledge) to utilize perl, python, etc.

Any help is welcome as well as comments on the script as it sits. It has been cobbled together by remembering programming structure learned taking Turbo Pascal in high school (many years ago) and lots of google searches. Smilie

Code:
echo Search started at:
date +"%m/%d/%Y %T"
# Displays the start up information and the start time

find /var/network_logs/gc/archive/asalog*  -mtime -7 -exec zcat {} \;  |  awk '/Built/&& !/10.10.120.145/{print $10, $11, $15, $18;}' | sed -e 's!/! !g' -e  's!:! !g' | awk '{if ($1 == "inbound") print $1, $2, $3, $4, $6, $7, $8; else if ($1 == "outbound") print $1, $2, $6, $7, $3, $4, $5;}' | awk '!seen[$0]++ {print}' >> /home/kenneth.cramer/asa/GC_ports.txt

# Finds all files with that begin with the name asalog that were written in the last 7 days. It then reads the files line by line looking
# for any lines containing the word Built but not the 10.10.120.145 IP address and prints out the 7th, 8th, 12th and 15th words in the line
# It then looks for any "/" slashes or ":" colons in the four words and replaaces them with spaces.
# The script now prints out the needed words from the line and then writes only unique lines to the output file.

echo
echo
echo
echo Sorting data into proper files.
# Displays that the script is now sorting the information

awk '{if ($1 == "inbound" && $2 == "TCP") print $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7 >> "/home/kenneth.cramer/asa/GC_tcpinbound.txt"; else if ($1 == "inbound" && $2 == "UDP") print $2, $3, $4, $5,  $6, $7 >> "/home/kenneth.cramer/asa/GC_udpinbound.txt"; else if ($1 == "outbound" && $2 == "TCP") print $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7 >> "/home/kenneth.cramer/asa/GC_tcpoutbound.txt"; else if ($1 == "outbound" && $2 == "UDP") print $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7 >> "/home/kenneth.cramer/asa/GC_udpoutbound.txt";}' /home/kenneth.cramer/asa/GC_ports.txt
# The script now reads the file ports2.txt and sorts the data into 4 files based on it finding "Inbound or Outbound" and "TCP or UDP" in the line.

echo
echo
echo
echo Compressing files for transport

tar -czvf /home/kenneth.cramer/asa/GC_ports.tgz /home/kenneth.cramer/asa/GC_*.txt
# Compresses the output files into a single file for transport off the machine.

echo Process completed for Gold Camp at:
date +"%m/%d/%Y %T"
echo
echo
times

Last edited by garlandxj11; 04-12-2016 at 09:50 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

improving my script (find & replace)

Hi all, I have a script that scan files, find old templet and replace it with new one. #!/bin/ksh file_name=$1 old_templet=$2 new_templet=$3 # Loop through every file like this for file in file_name do cat $file | sed "s/old_templet/new_templet/g" > $file.new #do a global searce and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir_yosha
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

improving my script

Hi; I want to access our customer database to retreive all clients that have as language index 2 or 3 and take their client number. My input is a file containing all client numbers. i access the data base using a function call "scpshow". The total number of clients i want to scan is 400 000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Improving Unix Skills

Kindly any advice to improve my unix skills as electronic books i can download or valuable sites as this one etc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sak900354
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving this validate function

Hi guys, I use this function which was provided to me by someone at this site. It works perfectly for validating a users input option against allowed options.. example: validateInput "1" "1 3 4 5" would return 0 (success) function validateInput { input=$1 allowedInput=$2 for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyscho
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving code by using associative arrays

I have the following code, and I am changing it to #!/bin/bash hasArgumentCModInfile=0 hasArgumentSrcsInfile=0 hasArgumentRcvsInfile=0 OLDIFS="$IFS" IFS="|=" # IFS controls splitting. Split on "|" and "=", not whitespace. set -- $* # Set the positional... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic help improving for in loop

I'm obviously very new to this. I'm trying to write a simple for loop that will read the directory names in /Users and then copy a file into the same subdir in each user directory. I have this, and it works but it isn't great. #!/bin/bash HOMEDIRS=/Users/* for dirs in $HOMEDIRS; do if ];... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heath_T
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with improving korn shell script

I am primarily a SQA/Tester and new to korn shell. How can I improve the following script? #/bin/ksh SourceLocation=~/Scripts/Test/Source TrackerLocation=~/Scripts/Test/Tracker TargetLocation=rdbusse@rdbmbp:/Users/rdbusse/Scripts/Test/Target for file in $(cd $SourceLocation; ls) do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bayouprophet
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improving code

Gents, I did the below code to get an output (report) ,.. the code works fine but I believe it can be more shorted using better method. Please if you can help, to generate same output improving the code , will be great. here my code. # get diff in time awk '{$9=$8-prev8;prev8=$8;print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
8 Replies