Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replace character in odd or even lines Post 302970808 by emare on Tuesday 12th of April 2016 04:01:23 AM
Old 04-12-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Why don't you do the entire thing in one single awk script?
Because my awk knowledge is limited Smilie
Complex awk commands are nice but more difficult to understand and modify by other people working with me.

---------- Post updated at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
to simplify the even/odd awk's into 1
Code:
awk -v q="'" 'gsub(/;/, "</td><td bgcolor=" q ((NR%2)?"#E0E0E0" ? "#A0A0A0" ) q ">")' $fileIN".tmp1" > ${fileIN}_evenOdd

Thanks, that's good.
Can you please explain what the q is ?

Last edited by emare; 04-12-2016 at 09:53 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a perticular character of all lines of a file

Hi all, I am new to UNIX, so sorry if my question seem stupid to u. well i want to replace the first character of first 30 lines of a file, only if the first character is h. and in anothe script i want to replace a particular string/character say hello/h of a file.Condition: It should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abovais
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

odd character (^M) from .sh when chagining to .ksh

// AIX 5.3 I am trying to use .sh after changing it to .ksh Obviously, it doesn't like the file extension change. I am seeing a lot of odd characters (^M) like below: Init_Part2 ()^M^M {^M^M AWTRACE "AW SET"^M^M set | grep -e CFG_ -e OUTDIR_ENV^M^M AWTRACE "AW SET"^M^M ^M^M if ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Odd Control Character issue ^A

Sorry to bug you, but my sed is failing me, I have a file auto generated from abinitio, it has a string of chars ending with a line break, and then it has added a ^A character, I can remove this is vi by using the following %s/^A//g (where ^A is ctrl v and control A), however when I try to sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badg3r
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print ODD lines

i want to print ODD lines like first ,third then fifth and so on 234,567,ABC,KJL 234,565,ABD,KJL 234,568,ABE,KJL 234,560,ABF,KJL 234,563,ABG,KJL 234,562,ABH,KJL O/P will be like 234,567,ABC,KJL ----->first liine 234,568,ABE,KJL ----->third line 234,563,ABG,KJL ----->fifth line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace/delete odd occurance

how to delete/replace the the odd occurance of a pattern say newline character "\n" a,b,c,d e,f g, h, i, j, k, l m,n 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 the output should be a,b,c,de,f g, h, i, j, k, lm,n 1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for pattern in odd lines?

Hi friends, I am looking for sed command/script that would search for a given fixed pattern on odd lines and then if it matches, prints the matching pattern and the next line. For example, in the example below, i am looking for pattern 0 and 1011 on odd lines. ########## start of example file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
10 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replace nth position character of all the lines in file

I want to replace 150th character of all the lines in a file using sed or awk... searched the forums but didn't find exact answer (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert at the beginning of odd lines

Hello people, I am trying with sed to insert some text at the beginning of each odd line of a file but no luck. Can you please help. Awk is also suitable but I am not very familiar with it. Thank you in advance for any help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum product of even/odd lines

Hi, I have a text file like this 6.0000E-02 0.00000E+00 0.0000 0.00000E+00 0.0000 7.0000E-02 5.00000E-10 1.0000 5.00000E-10 1.0000 8.0000E-02 3.00000E-09 0.4082 3.00000E-09 0.4082 9.0000E-02 3.50000E-09 0.3780 3.50000E-09 0.3780 1.0000E-01 1.00000E-09... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a character and replace it with multiple lines

This is for AIX 6.1, I've a flat file and the format is like this DECLARE some statements; BEGIN some statements; END; I've to search BEGIN and replace it with the following 4 lines BEGIN For x in 1..1 LOOP BEGIN Similarly I've to search END and replace it with the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mukul Sharma
7 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)