Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replace character in odd or even lines Post 302970733 by emare on Monday 11th of April 2016 11:52:24 AM
Old 04-11-2016
Holy cow ! How can I be so .......Smilie

Thanks a lot !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a perticular character of all lines of a file

Hi all, I am new to UNIX, so sorry if my question seem stupid to u. well i want to replace the first character of first 30 lines of a file, only if the first character is h. and in anothe script i want to replace a particular string/character say hello/h of a file.Condition: It should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abovais
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

odd character (^M) from .sh when chagining to .ksh

// AIX 5.3 I am trying to use .sh after changing it to .ksh Obviously, it doesn't like the file extension change. I am seeing a lot of odd characters (^M) like below: Init_Part2 ()^M^M {^M^M AWTRACE "AW SET"^M^M set | grep -e CFG_ -e OUTDIR_ENV^M^M AWTRACE "AW SET"^M^M ^M^M if ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Odd Control Character issue ^A

Sorry to bug you, but my sed is failing me, I have a file auto generated from abinitio, it has a string of chars ending with a line break, and then it has added a ^A character, I can remove this is vi by using the following %s/^A//g (where ^A is ctrl v and control A), however when I try to sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: badg3r
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print ODD lines

i want to print ODD lines like first ,third then fifth and so on 234,567,ABC,KJL 234,565,ABD,KJL 234,568,ABE,KJL 234,560,ABF,KJL 234,563,ABG,KJL 234,562,ABH,KJL O/P will be like 234,567,ABC,KJL ----->first liine 234,568,ABE,KJL ----->third line 234,563,ABG,KJL ----->fifth line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace/delete odd occurance

how to delete/replace the the odd occurance of a pattern say newline character "\n" a,b,c,d e,f g, h, i, j, k, l m,n 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 the output should be a,b,c,de,f g, h, i, j, k, lm,n 1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for pattern in odd lines?

Hi friends, I am looking for sed command/script that would search for a given fixed pattern on odd lines and then if it matches, prints the matching pattern and the next line. For example, in the example below, i am looking for pattern 0 and 1011 on odd lines. ########## start of example file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
10 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Replace nth position character of all the lines in file

I want to replace 150th character of all the lines in a file using sed or awk... searched the forums but didn't find exact answer (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert at the beginning of odd lines

Hello people, I am trying with sed to insert some text at the beginning of each odd line of a file but no luck. Can you please help. Awk is also suitable but I am not very familiar with it. Thank you in advance for any help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum product of even/odd lines

Hi, I have a text file like this 6.0000E-02 0.00000E+00 0.0000 0.00000E+00 0.0000 7.0000E-02 5.00000E-10 1.0000 5.00000E-10 1.0000 8.0000E-02 3.00000E-09 0.4082 3.00000E-09 0.4082 9.0000E-02 3.50000E-09 0.3780 3.50000E-09 0.3780 1.0000E-01 1.00000E-09... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a character and replace it with multiple lines

This is for AIX 6.1, I've a flat file and the format is like this DECLARE some statements; BEGIN some statements; END; I've to search BEGIN and replace it with the following 4 lines BEGIN For x in 1..1 LOOP BEGIN Similarly I've to search END and replace it with the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mukul Sharma
7 Replies
cowsay(6)							   Games Manual 							 cowsay(6)

NAME
cowsay/cowthink - configurable speaking/thinking cow (and a bit more) SYNOPSIS
cowsay [-e eye_string] [-f cowfile] [-h] [-l] [-n] [-T tongue_string] [-W column] [-bdgpstwy] DESCRIPTION
Cowsay generates an ASCII picture of a cow saying something provided by the user. If run with no arguments, it accepts standard input, word-wraps the message given at about 40 columns, and prints the cow saying the given message on standard output. To aid in the use of arbitrary messages with arbitrary whitespace, use the -n option. If it is specified, the given message will not be word-wrapped. This is possibly useful if you want to make the cow think or speak in figlet(6). If -n is specified, there must not be any command-line arguments left after all the switches have been processed. The -W specifies roughly where the message should be wrapped. The default is equivalent to -W 40 i.e. wrap words at or before the 40th column. If any command-line arguments are left over after all switches have been processed, they become the cow's message. The program will not accept standard input for a message in this case. There are several provided modes which change the appearance of the cow depending on its particular emotional/physical state. The -b option initiates Borg mode; -d causes the cow to appear dead; -g invokes greedy mode; -p causes a state of paranoia to come over the cow; -s makes the cow appear thoroughly stoned; -t yields a tired cow; -w is somewhat the opposite of -t, and initiates wired mode; -y brings on the cow's youthful appearance. The user may specify the -e option to select the appearance of the cow's eyes, in which case the first two characters of the argument string eye_string will be used. The default eyes are 'oo'. The tongue is similarly configurable through -T and tongue_string; it must be two characters and does not appear by default. However, it does appear in the 'dead' and 'stoned' modes. Any configuration done by -e and -T will be lost if one of the provided modes is used. The -f option specifies a particular cow picture file (``cowfile'') to use. If the cowfile spec contains '/' then it will be interpreted as a path relative to the current directory. Otherwise, cowsay will search the path specified in the COWPATH environment variable. To list all cowfiles on the current COWPATH, invoke cowsay with the -l switch. If the program is invoked as cowthink then the cow will think its message instead of saying it. COWFILE FORMAT
A cowfile is made up of a simple block of perl(1) code, which assigns a picture of a cow to the variable $the_cow. Should you wish to cus- tomize the eyes or the tongue of the cow, then the variables $eyes and $tongue may be used. The trail leading up to the cow's message bal- loon is composed of the character(s) in the $thoughts variable. Any backslashes must be reduplicated to prevent interpolation. The name of a cowfile should end with .cow, otherwise it is assumed not to be a cowfile. Also, at-signs (``@'') must be backslashed because that is what Perl 5 expects. COMPATIBILITY WITH OLDER VERSIONS
What older versions? :-) Version 3.x is fully backward-compatible with 2.x versions. If you're still using a 1.x version, consider upgrading. And tell me where you got the older versions, since I didn't exactly put them up for world-wide access. Oh, just so you know, this manual page documents version 3.03 of cowsay. ENVIRONMENT
The COWPATH environment variable, if present, will be used to search for cowfiles. It contains a colon-separated list of directories, much like PATH or MANPATH. It should always contain the /usr/share/cowsay/cows directory, or at least a directory with a file called default.cow in it. FILES
/usr/share/cowsay/cows holds a sample set of cowfiles. If your COWPATH is not explicitly set, it automatically contains this directory. BUGS
If there are any, please notify the author at the address below. AUTHOR
Tony Monroe (tony@nog.net), with suggestions from Shannon Appel (appel@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU) and contributions from Anthony Polito (aspolito@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU). SEE ALSO
perl(1), wall(1), nwrite(1), figlet(6) $Date: 1999/11/04 19:50:40 $ cowsay(6)