Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Quick and easy way to comment out multi lined print statements Post 302970657 by cokedude on Sunday 10th of April 2016 03:23:28 AM
Old 04-10-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
How about "compiler directives" for conditional compiling? Add some #ifdef directives to create debug or nodebug versions in next to no time.
Can you explain how the #ifdef directive works? I have never used that before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Certainly not a generic solution, but it seems to work for your coding style:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
awk '
$1 ~ /^printf[(]/ {
    NoChange = $0
    Comment = "//" $0
    while($NF !~ /[)];$/) {
        getline
        NoChange = NoChange "\n" $0
        Comment = Comment "\n//" $0
    }
    print (NoChange ~ /ACCEPT|REJECT/) ? NoChange : Comment
    next
}
1' ${1:-file.c}

As always, if you want to try this on a Solaris/SunOS system, change awk to /usr/xpg4/bin/awk (nawk on Solaris/SunOS systems won't work with this awk script either).

If you invoke this script with no operands and the file file.c contains:
Code:
            cmp_str9 = strcmp("return", strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter ]);
            printf("4006 lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter %d \n", lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter);
            printf("4007 strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter] %s \n", 
            strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter]);
            //int
            if(cmp_str9 == 0)
            {
                printf("3402 checking return stuff \n");
                return_match_flag = 1;
                lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter++;
                get_function_type_for_proper_return(symbol_table_functions, type,id, 
                                         scope_char, symbol_table_functions_counter, function_type_for_proper_return);
                printf("3407 lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter %d \n", lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter);
                printf("3408 strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter] %s \n", 
                strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter]);
                printf("3410 function_type_for_proper_return %s \n", function_type_for_proper_return);
            printf("This is a one line printf containing ACCEPT.\n");

printf("This is a multi-line printf containing %s%s.\n",
            "some more text",
            " ACCEPT");
        }
            } else {
            printf("This is a one line printf containing REJECT.\n");

printf("This is a multi-line printf containing %s.\n",
            "REJECT");
        }

it produces the output:
Code:
            cmp_str9 = strcmp("return", strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter ]);
//            printf("4006 lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter %d \n", lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter);
//            printf("4007 strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter] %s \n", 
//            strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter]);
            //int
            if(cmp_str9 == 0)
            {
//                printf("3402 checking return stuff \n");
                return_match_flag = 1;
                lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter++;
                get_function_type_for_proper_return(symbol_table_functions, type,id, 
                                         scope_char, symbol_table_functions_counter, function_type_for_proper_return);
//                printf("3407 lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter %d \n", lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter);
//                printf("3408 strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter] %s \n", 
//                strings_line_tokens[lower_bound_of_big_boy_counter]);
//                printf("3410 function_type_for_proper_return %s \n", function_type_for_proper_return);
            printf("This is a one line printf containing ACCEPT.\n");

printf("This is a multi-line printf containing %s%s.\n",
            "some more text",
            " ACCEPT");
        }
            } else {
            printf("This is a one line printf containing REJECT.\n");

printf("This is a multi-line printf containing %s.\n",
            "REJECT");
        }

Thank you Smilie. I will test that out when I get to work tomorrow.

Glad I don't have to deal with that Solaris/SunOS system issue. I mainly stick to Redhat on my server and Ubuntu on my regular PC's.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Notepad help needed easy quick question

TAKE A LOOK AT THE ATTACHED PICTURE. my goal is just to SELECT n DELETE Those lines : Dialogue: Marked=0,0:02:39.49,0:02:40.49,Default,NTP,0000,00 00,0000,!Effect, (without the text) take a look at that picture... the marked line... i just need ALL of these lines removed.. i managed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_spidey
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with for/if/else print statements

{for(i in b){if(b-1&&a!=b){print i";\t\t"b}else{print "NEW:"i";\t\t"b} } } what I need is to just print else{print "NEW:"i";\t\t"b and not print {print i";\t\t"b} how do i get awk to not print the first bit? is there an ignore statement although i still need awk to use this statement... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashbash
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk - to extract values from multi lined file

Hi, I am new to awk and trying to extract some specific fields from the a large file. Can you please help me to write gawk code displaying the out put in the below format: Desired Output: name fallback_ip member member www-trymps.extlb.plstry.com-pool-1 180.254.112.50 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratheeshp
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gawk - to extract values from multi lined file -I

Hi, Request your help in getting help with the below text formatting using awk. I am still learning awk and your help here is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Desireoutput ---------------- Virtual Pool Destination Profile Profile Profile Profile 1. virtual-1 pool-1 212.254.110.174:https... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratheeshp
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract values from multi lined url source

Hello, I want extract multi values from multi url source to a csv text. Thank you very much for help. my curl code : curl "http://www.web.com/cities//city.html Source code: div class="clear"></div> <table class="listing-details"> <tr> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Help: quick and easy question may be: How to use &&

Hi Guru's. I am trying to use to check if $5 is greater than 80 & if not 100, then to print $0 : awk '{ if ($5>80) && if ($5 != 100) print $0} But getting error: >bdf1|sed 's/%//g'|awk '{ if ($5>80) && if ($5 != 100) print $0}' syntax error The source line is 1. The error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sql multi line comment /* shell interpretation issue

Greetings Experts, I do have some basic knowledge of Unix. The task I am trying to do through shell script is to generate the view script for all of the tables which is in YYYYMMDD format (I assume I am on Ksh). I have certain tables that ends in YYYYMMDD format (eg: tbl_20150630) For each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate print statements

I need to pickup values provided in braces from a file with many records I am able to get the count of number of dept's in each line .How do we write a logic to generate a print statement like below instead of using a while loop if the count is 0 it should generate awk -F'' '{print $2 }' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: llazydev
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

One Line Command how to use pipe statements to execute and comment on multiple possible outcomes

Hello Forum, I'm looking to expand the following command: INACTIVE_KERNELS=$(python -mplatform | grep -qi red && rpm -qa | grep '^kernel-' |grep -vE `uname -r` | paste -sd \; || echo "Not Red Hat Server") Currently this command will check if my server is RedHat server using the grep -qi... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
6 Replies