Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Code for exact match to count occurrence Post 302970546 by huiyee1 on Thursday 7th of April 2016 11:51:28 PM
Old 04-08-2016
Code for exact match to count occurrence

Hi all,

I have an input file as below. I would like to count the occurrence of pattern matching 8th field for each line.

Input:
Code:
field_01        field_02        field_03        field_04        field_05       field_06 field_07        field_08
TA      T       TA      T       TA      TA      TA      T
CAA     CAA     CAA     C       CAA     CAA     CAA     C
CG      C       C       CG      C       C       C       C
T       T       T       T       T       T       T       T
AT      AT      AT      AT      A       A       A       AT
AT      A       A       A       AT      AT      AT      A
CGA     CGA     C       CGA     C       CGA     CGA     C
GTTAC   GTTAC   G       GTTAC   GTTAC   GTTAC   G       G
CAT     CAT     C       CAT     C       C       C       C
AG      AG      AG      AG      AG      AG      AG      A
AG      A       A       A       AG      AG      AG      A

The command I used is:
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{print "count"} NR>1  {print gsub($8,"")-1}' input.txt

And, the output I got was as follows;
Code:
count

But the output I want is;
Code:
count

What did I do wrongly? I have tried to modify a few times. But all did not work.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print last occurrence if first field match

Hi All, I have an input below. If the term in the 1st column is equal, print the last row which 1st column is equal.In the below example, it's " 0001 k= 27 " and " 0004 k= 6 " (depicted in bold). Those terms in 1st column which are not repetitive are to be printed as well. Can any body help me... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count a occurrence

I am looking to get a output of "2 apple found" from the awk command below. black:34104 tomonorisoejima$ cat tomo apple apple black:34104 tomonorisoejima$ awk '/apple/ {count++}END{print count " apple found"}' tomo 1 apple found black:34104 tomonorisoejima$ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soemac
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exact string match ; search and print match

I am trying to match a pattern exactly in a shell script. I have tried two methods awk '/\<mpath${CURR_MP}\>/{print $1 $2}' multipath perl -ne '/\bmpath${CURR_MP}\b/ and print' /var/tmp/multipath Both these methods require that I use the escape character. I am guessing that is why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find lines that match exact input and count?

I am writing a package manager in BASH and I would like a small snippet of code that finds lines that match exact input and count them. For example, my file contains: xyz xyz-lib2.0+ xyz-lib2.0 xyz-lib1.5 and "grep -c xyz" returns 4. The current function is: # $1 is the package name.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooprocks123e
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to replace exact match, not first occurrence.

Lets say I have file.txt: (Product:Price:QuantityAvailable) (: as delimiter) Chocolate:5:5 Banana:33:3 I am doing a edit/update function. I want to change the Quantity Available, so I tried using the SED command to replace 5, but my Price which is also 5 is changed instead. (for the Banana... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: andylbh
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the occurrence of a number?

Hi, I have a file which contained a set of numbers like Col1 col2 col3 col4 1 sa 13 0 2 sb 14 0 3 sc 15 9 4 sd 16 -9 5 sd 20 -2 6 sd 20 4 Here in last column I need to count the zeros, positive values and negative values, please help me to do that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Replace first occurrence after match

hey guys, i have been trying to work this thing out with sed with no luck :confused: i m looking for a way to replace only the first occurrence after a match for example : Cat Realized what you gotta do Dog Realized what you gotta do Sheep Realized what you gotta do Wolf Realized... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep - Only Match First Occurrence

echo 'String#1 and String#2' | egrep -o -m 1 'String#.{1}' String#1 String#2 I'm trying to just match the first occurrence of 'String#' + 1 character. I thought the "-m 1" switch would do that for me. Instead I get both occurrences. Can somebody provide some insight? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file based on partial match in field1 and exact match in field2

I am trying to create a cronjob that will run on startup that will look at a list.txt file to see if there is a later version of a database using database.txt as the source. The matching lines are written to output. $1 in database.txt will be in list.txt as a partial match. $2 of database.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print from last occurrence match until the end of last occurrence match

Hi, i have file file.txt with data like: START 03:11:30 a 03:11:40 b END START 03:13:30 eee 03:13:35 fff END jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj START 03:14:30 eee 03:15:30 fff END ggggggggggg iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii I want the below output START (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jyotshna
13 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)