Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find command on a empty directory - bad status Post 302970333 by deepakwins on Tuesday 5th of April 2016 01:53:13 PM
Old 04-05-2016
Thanks for the Clarification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
The + collects arguments (up to a certain limit) and runs one (or few) rm -f arg1 arg2 ...,
while the ; each time runs the program with one argument rm -f arg1; rm -f arg2; ....
This User Gave Thanks to deepakwins For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to find the exit status of last command in Unix?

Hi, I want to find the exit status of the last executed command in C Shell. Tried $? but getting the error Variable syntax...$? does not seem to work in C shell.. is there any other command in C shell to find the exit status of last command? Thanks in advance, raju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajugp1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find the exit status for the last executed command

I am executing a find command in my script i.e find $2 -type f -name '*.gif' -mtime +$1 -exec rm {} \; how do i check that this command is executed properly.. i would lke t trap the errror and display my error message kinly help.. this is an urgent issue. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay.amirthraj
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Equivalents of tee command to find exit status of command

Hi, Want to log the output of command & check the exit status to find whether it succeeded or failed. > ls abc ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 1 > ls abc 2>&1 | tee log ls: abc: No such file or directory > echo $? 0 Tee commands changes my exit status to be always... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command returning bad status--

would like to remove the post (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find empty files in a directory and write their file names in a text?

I need to find empty files in a directory and write them into a text file. Directory will contain old files as well, i need to get the empty files for the last one hour only. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete empty files from a directory entered in command prompt

My code to "Delete empty files from a directory entered in command promt" #/bin/sh echo "Enter directory" read gh for file in `ls $gh` do # to get the size of file a=$( ls -l file | awk ' {print $7} '); echo $a if then echo "removing file " rm file fi done (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adirajup
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exit Status Of Find Command

Hello All, I am trying to capture the exit status of find command and want to delete the files only when it is successful. But it is always returning me as success even if the pattern of that file doesn't exist in the current directory. please help, checked manual page but couldn't able to figure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trapping the return status from FIND command

I have the following code in a script: find . \( ! -name . -prune \) -name "cg*" -exec cp -p {} "${temp_dir}" \; ret_stat=$? I think the return status is only captured for the 'find' command and not for the 'cp' command. Is there a way to get the return status for the 'cp' command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find command giving bad status error

In a fastload teradata utility I am trying to delete the files which are older than 30days using the find and rm command as following. find . -name 'xxx_*' -mtime +30 -exec rm -f {} \; I expect it to delete all the files older than 30 days but sometimes it gives an error : find: bad status--... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stelkar
3 Replies
AFQUERY(3)																AFQUERY(3)

NAME
afQuery, afQueryLong, afQueryDouble, afQueryPointer - query the capabilities of the Audio File Library SYNOPSIS
#include <audiofile.h> AUpvlist afQuery (int querytype, int arg1, int arg2, int arg3, int arg4); long afQueryLong (int querytype, int arg1, int arg2, int arg3, int arg4); double afQueryDouble (int querytype, int arg1, int arg2, int arg3, int arg4); void *afQueryPointer (int querytype, int arg1, int arg2, int arg3, int arg4); PARAMETERS
querytype can be one of the following: o AF_QUERYTYPE_FILEFMT o AF_QUERYTYPE_INST o AF_QUERYTYPE_INSTPARAM o AF_QUERYTYPE_COMPRESSION o AF_QUERYTYPE_COMPRESSIONPARAM o AF_QUERYTYPE_MISC o AF_QUERYTYPE_MARK o AF_QUERYTYPE_LOOP arg1, arg2, arg3, and arg4 are integer selectors whose meaning depends upon querytype. RETURN VALUE
Upon success, afQuery will return a non-null AUpvlist value. Upon failure, afQuery will return null while afQueryLong and afQueryDouble will return -1 and afQueryPointer will return null. Pointers representing character strings are owned by the Audio File Library and must not be freed; all other pointer values must be freed by the caller. DESCRIPTION
For AF_QUERYTYPE_FILEFMT, the following selectors are valid values for arg1: AF_QUERY_LABEL Request a short label string for the format (e.g., "aiff"). AF_QUERY_NAME Request a short name for the format (e.g., "MS RIFF WAVE"). AF_QUERY_DESC Request a descriptive name for the format (e.g., "Audio Interchange File Format"). AF_QUERY_IMPLEMENTED Request a boolean value indicating whether the format is implemented for reading and writing in the Audio File Library. AF_QUERY_ID_COUNT Request the total number of formats implemented. AF_QUERY_IDS Request an integer array of the id token values of all implemented file formats. AF_QUERY_COMPRESSION_TYPES Used with the selector AF_QUERY_VALUE_COUNT in arg2, this will return a long integer containing the number of compression schemes available for use within the format specified in arg3. Used with selector AF_QUERY_VALUES, it returns a pointer to an integer array containing the compression id values of the compression schemes supported by the format specified in arg3. AF_QUERY_SAMPLE_FORMATS Used with the selector AF_QUERY_DEFAULT in arg2, this will return the default sample format for the file format specified in arg3. AF_QUERY_SAMPLE_SIZES Used with selector AF_QUERY_DEFAULT in arg2, this will return the default sample width for the file format specified in arg3. For AF_QUERYTYPE_INST, the following selectors are valid for arg1: AF_QUERY_SUPPORTED Request a boolean value indicating whether the file format in arg2 supports instruments. AF_QUERY_MAX_NUMBER Request an integer value indicating the maximum number of instruments supported by the file format in arg2. For AF_QUERYTYPE_INSTPARAM, the following selectors are valid for arg1: AF_QUERY_SUPPORTED Request a boolean value indicating whether the file format in arg2 supports instrument parameters. AF_QUERY_ID_COUNT Request an integer value indicating the number of instrument parameters supported by the file format in arg2. AF_QUERY_IDS Request an integer array containing the instrument parameter values for the file format in arg2. AF_QUERY_TYPE For the file format in arg2, request the type of the instrument parameter in arg3. AF_QUERY_NAME For the file format in arg2, request the name of the instrument parameter in arg3. AF_QUERY_DEFAULT For the file format in arg2, request the default value of the instrument parameter in arg3. ERRORS
afQuery can produce the following errors: AF_BAD_QUERYTYPE The query type is unsupported. AF_BAD_QUERY The arguments to the query are bad. AUTHOR
Michael Pruett <michael@68k.org> Audio File Library 0.3.6 03/06/2013 AFQUERY(3)