Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Script for pinging continuously Post 302970269 by MadeInGermany on Monday 4th of April 2016 03:11:52 PM
Old 04-04-2016
Jim, I don't want to start a long discussion about personal likes/dislikes, but let me state I would write it like this
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
now=`$date +%s`
stop=$(( $now +  86400 ))
while now=`$date +%s`;  [ $now  -le $stop ]
do
   if ping -c 1 -w 5 AIXservername
   then
      OK='pass'
   else
      OK='fail'
   fi
   echo "$OK at `$date`" >>mylogfile
done

The cryptic [ $! -eq 0 ] && OK='pass' || OK='fail' does unnecessary evaluation of OK='pass', and would fail if such an expression would have a non-zero exit status. In comparison, if-then-else-fi is easy to understand and risk-free.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

pinging IP's in a file

Hey all. I have a long list of IP addresses I want to ping. The IP's are located in a flat file "ping_info.dat". I was wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Can someone help me out? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pinging an ip

Hi, How to ping an ip from an unix machine. Can you please let me know the exact command. I used and i got the below error ping 171.18.17.2 bash: ping: command not found Thanks n regards Ammu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ammu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to continuously scan a log file

Hello members, I have some doubts on how to write a script that can reports success / failure of a batch job ? 1. Run a batch job: 2. Wait and search for a particular string in the Log file: tail -f log01*.txt | egrep -v "^SUCCESSFUL" echo "continue with the other tasks" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novice82
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking and Pinging

Keep in mind that I haven't done Perl scripting for a LONG time, so I'm quite rusty. This is what I would like to do: - using fork, create 3 or 4 processes to read 3 or 4 different text documents containing server names or IP addresses - in each of those processes, Perl will ping each of those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pinging a domain

how can you ping a domain and store the ip? like given a url in a variable $url how can i ping it? also how can i find the local server's ip address on a cpanel server? (i have multiple servers and didnt want to hard code it in) (basically i want to check the domain accounts on the server,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script continuously for 10 minutes

Hi all!! Im using ksh and my OS is Linux. I want to run a script for ten minutes, starting from my current system time. How to acheive this? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in running a script continuously non stop

Hi, I am running a schedular script which will check for a specific time and do the job. I wanted to run this continuously. Meaning even after the if condition is true and it executes the job, it should start running again non stop. I am using below script #!/bin/sh start: while true do... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeepcm
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Pinging Host

I need to ping websites and I need to see which one has the highest delay. My problem is I need to extract the name Facebook and the time=74.0 ms using awk. I need help doing this please... PING facebook.com (173.252.90.36) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 5sku5
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script for continuously monitoring log file

Hi I have written below log monitoring script to egrep multiple words and redirect the output to a text file and its working fine but I want to add some more below given functionality to it, which is very advance and im not very good in it, so please help if you can :) I am egrepping all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scazed
1 Replies
DATE_SUNSET(3)								 1							    DATE_SUNSET(3)

date_sunset - Returns time of sunset for a given day and location

SYNOPSIS
mixed date_sunset (int $timestamp, [int $format = SUNFUNCS_RET_STRING], [float $latitude = ini_get("date.default_latitude")], [float $longitude = ini_get("date.default_longitude")], [float $zenith = ini_get("date.sunset_zenith")], [float $gmt_offset]) DESCRIPTION
date_sunset(3) returns the sunset time for a given day (specified as a $timestamp) and location. PARAMETERS
o $timestamp - The $timestamp of the day from which the sunset time is taken. o $format - $format constants +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+ | constant | | | | | | | description | | | | | | example | | | | +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+ | SUNFUNCS_RET_STRING | | | | | | | returns the result as string | | | | | | 16:46 | | | | | SUNFUNCS_RET_DOUBLE | | | | | | | returns the result as float | | | | | | 16.78243132 | | | | |SUNFUNCS_RET_TIMESTAMP | | | | | | | returns the result as integer (timestamp) | | | | | | 1095034606 | | | | +-----------------------+-------------------------------------------+ o $latitude - Defaults to North, pass in a negative value for South. See also: date.default_latitude o $longitude - Defaults to East, pass in a negative value for West. See also: date.default_longitude o $zenith - Default: date.sunset_zenith o $gmtoffset - Specified in hours. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Every call to a date/time function will generate a E_NOTICE if the time zone is not valid, and/or a E_STRICT or E_WARNING message if using the system settings or the $TZ environment variable. See also date_default_timezone_set(3) CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Now issues the E_STRICT and E_NOTICE time zone | | | errors. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
Returns the sunset time in a specified $format on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 date_sunset(3) example <?php /* calculate the sunset time for Lisbon, Portugal Latitude: 38.4 North Longitude: 9 West Zenith ~= 90 offset: +1 GMT */ echo date("D M d Y"). ', sunset time : ' .date_sunset(time(), SUNFUNCS_RET_STRING, 38.4, -9, 90, 1); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Mon Dec 20 2004, sunset time : 18:13 SEE ALSO
date_sunrise(3). PHP Documentation Group DATE_SUNSET(3)