Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to test named pipe file?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to test named pipe file? Post 302970236 by Don Cragun on Monday 4th of April 2016 07:37:38 AM
Old 04-04-2016
Perhaps something like:
Code:
file="/Pathname/of/file/to/test"
[ -e "$file" ] && echo 'File exists.'
[ -p "$file" ] && echo 'And, it is a named pipe.'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666);) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
1 Replies

2. Programming

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd = open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named PIPE

Gurus, I've a File Transaction Server, which communicates with other servers and performs some processing.It uses many Named PIPE's. By mistake i copied a named PIPE into a text file. I heard that PIPE files shouldn't be copied.Isn't it? Since it's a production box, i'm afraid on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tamil
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipe contents to a file

I want to copy the contents of a named pipe to a file. I have tried using: cat pipe.p >> transcript.log but I have been unsuccessful, any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

will a named pipe always be size 0 on filesystem?

I did cat < myFile >> myPipe I was hoping that if I did ls -l, myPipe would now be holding the contents of myFile, and would be the same size. But it was 0. Also strange was that when I did the command above, cat did not return control back to the shell. Why? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering mail into a named pipe

Hello, On my machine, all mail is stored in my /var/spool/mail. IS there a way to direct all mail that goes there into a namep pipe? Thank you, Dado (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dadoprso
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to file named with date

I would like to pipe (redirect ? - what is the right term?) the output of my script to a file named with the current date. If I run this at a command prompt: date +'%Y%m%d" ...it returns "20110429" OK, that's good... so I try: ./script.sh > "'date +%Y%m%d'.csv" I get a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Named pipe performance

Hi, I am getting data into a Named pipe. Does Named pipe have any size restriction; I know it does not have any storage and it just passes on the data to the next process. I want to know, if there will be a difference in the Named pipe performance if the data input is more. (I am using DB2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a file list via named pipe

I have a ksh93 script I use that processes a file list in the order that they exist in the list. I would like to speed up processing of the list by having multiple processes handle it at once. I was thinking that perhaps a good way to handle this would be to write the list to a named pipe and some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: benalt
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named pipe hanging?

Ok, I can't seem to figure this out or find anything on the web about this. I'm on Sun Solaris, UNIX. I have the following test script: #!/bin/ksh touch test.file LOG=./tmp.log rm -f ${LOG} PIPE=./tmp.pipe mkfifo ${PIPE} trap "rm -f ${PIPE}" EXIT tee -a ${LOG} < ${PIPE} & ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ditto
17 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)