Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error in awk...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Error in awk... Post 302970114 by Don Cragun on Saturday 2nd of April 2016 04:14:49 AM
Old 04-02-2016
In the shell, double quote and backslash are regular characters inside a single quoted string. And, although single quote is not a special character inside a double quoted string, the single quote that is causing you problems is terminating a single-quoted string; not a single quote inside a double-quoted string in your awk script. The shell is seeing the single-quoted string:
Code:
'BEGIN \
{
	SAWTOOTHPLUS64 = " !#$&"\'

and both double quotes and single quotes are mismatched after that.

If you want a single quote for use inside a shell single-quoted awk script, define a variable outside the script and use the variable. For example:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
awk -v SQ="'" 'BEGIN \
{
	SAWTOOTHPLUS64 = " !#$&" SQ ")*,-/0235689:<>?ABDEGHJKMNPQSTVWYZ\\^_abdeghjkmnpqstvwyz|}~"
	for(LOOP = 1; LOOP <= 13; ++LOOP)
	{
		SAWTOOTHPLUS64 = SAWTOOTHPLUS64 SAWTOOTHPLUS64
	}
	printf("%s", SAWTOOTHPLUS64) > "/tmp/sawtoothplus64.raw"
}'

Note also that you don't need backslash escapes for the single quote and close parenthesis in the double-quoted string in awkerror1.awk (just as I dropped the backslash escape before the close parenthesis in the above adaptation of awkerror2.awk).
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in awk

var1=`echo "emp,dept,salgrade" | awk -F, '{print NF}'` count=1 while ; do i=`expr $count` tname=`echo "emp,dept,salgrade" | awk -F, '{ print $(echo $i) }'` count=$count+1; echo ${tname}; echo $count done I want to store in tname=emp, tname=dept,tname=salgrade I am getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk error

Hi all, i have the files in the below sequence: fancy_LANG_STD_AU_2008-03-05.dat fancy_LANG_STD_HK_2008-03-06.dat fancy_LANG_STD_NZ_2008-03-05.dat fancy_STD_AU_2008-03-05.dat fancy_STD_HK_2008-03-06.dat fancy_STD_NZ_2008-03-05.dat i am trying to sort them like below: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gyankr
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk error -- awk: 0602-562 Field $() is not correct.

typeset -i i=1 while read -r filename; do Splitfile=`$Targetfile_$i.txt` awk 'substr($0,1,5) == substr($filename,1,5) && substr($0,526,2) == substr($filename,6,2) && substr($0,750,12) == substr($filename,8,12)' $SourceFilename >> $Splitfile i=i+1 done < /tmp/list.out I am using this logic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pukars4u
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK error

This is my disk space on solaris box and i wrote a simple script which identifies mount points which crosses 90% or above. But the AWK part is throwing some error and im unable to debug.. mzaheer @ UAT 144 % => df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: user__user3110
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command in script gives error while same awk command at prompt runs fine: Why?

Hello all, Here is what my bash script does: sums number columns, saves the tot in new column, outputs if tot >= threshold val: > cat getnon0file.sh #!/bin/bash this="getnon0file.sh" USAGE=$this" InFile="xyz.38" Min="0.05" # awk '{sum=0; for(n=2; n<=NF; n++){sum+=$n};... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalys
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Error

Hi I am trying to create a file with count of lines and string from shell variable, i am getting the error incorrect syntax. Below is the code : wc -l $filename | awk '{ print $1"|"$2"|"${SOURCETYPE} }'>>$AUDITFILENAME Could someone help me on this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with awk

i have been trying to run the following bash script, but get error: awk: cmd. line:1: - awk: cmd. line:1: ^ unexpected newline or end of string I have been trying to figure out what the problem is but to no avail. I need to run the script urgently for a project, so any help will be highly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anti_antaeus
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output yields error: awk:can't open job_name (Autosys)

Good evening, Im newbie at unix specially with awk From an scheduler program called Autosys i want to extract some data reading an inputfile that comprises jobs names, then formating the output to columns for example 1. This is the inputfile: $ more MapaRep.txt ds_extra_nikira_usuarios... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
18 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No error in awk...

Hi all... In the OSX forum I am starting a new awk project to learn awk. In this code snippet I have had to check boundaries to ensure that no NUMERICAL error occurs in the rest of the code... printf "Enter frequency required:- "; getline FREQ; RATE=(BYTES*FREQ); if ( RATE <= 4000 ) {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies
page_util_quote(n)					      Parser generator tools						page_util_quote(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
page_util_quote - page character quoting utilities SYNOPSIS
package require page::util::quote ?0.1? package require snit ::page::util::quote::unquote char ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This package provides a few utility commands to convert characters into various forms. API
::page::util::quote::unquote char A character, as stored in an abstract syntax tree by a PEG processor (See the packages grammar::peg::interpreter, grammar::me, and their relations), i.e. in some quoted form, is converted into the equivalent Tcl character. The character is returned as the result of the command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tcl char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser, will regenerate the character in question and is 7bit ASCII. The string is returned as the result of this command. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclstr char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser and will generate a human readable representation of the character in question. The string is returned as the result of this command. The string does not use any unprintable characters. It may use backslash-quoting. High UTF characters are quoted to avoid problems with the still prevalent ascii terminals. It is assumed that the string will be used in a double-quoted environment. ::page::util::quote::quote'tclcom char This command takes a Tcl character (internal representation) and converts it into a string which is accepted by the Tcl parser when used within a Tcl comment. The string is returned as the result of this command. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category page of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have. KEYWORDS
page, parser generator, quoting, text processing CATEGORY
Page Parser Generator COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2007 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> page 1.0 page_util_quote(n)