Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Infrastructure Monitoring Monitoring tools that do NOT require root privileges Post 302970077 by MadeInGermany on Friday 1st of April 2016 01:58:58 PM
Old 04-01-2016
Even if you don't have Nagios - you can look at my Nagios plugin scripts.
They do not require root rights. All shell code. Should be easy to adapt for Cacti, Nmon, Xymon, ...
I posted them in the same forum (Infrastructure Monitoring).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root privileges &Sudoer

Hi guys... how can a root assign a user all or most of the root privileges? is sudoer comand enough 4 this? thx alot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blue_7
2 Replies

2. Programming

root privileges

Hi I have make a program that needs root privleges but any user can try to run it, so what I want it is, when any user tries( other than root ) to run the program, an input prompt would open to enter root password ( if user knows ) and program will run ( otherwise exit ), and after completing... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
21 Replies

3. Solaris

sshd (openssh) on SunOS without root privileges

Hi, I've just managed to install openssh in my home directory on a server I have access to by using --prefix=$HOME/local after ./configure. Another thing I was having trouble with without root access was privilege separation, so I disabled that in my sshd_config. However, when I run... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root privileges

Hello, As admin with root rights, to execute any command from another user without password-ask, I do : su - <user> -c "<cmd>" But how can I do to give the same rights to another physical user without using root user ? :confused: I've try to create another user "toor" with the same primary... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
4 Replies

5. Linux

grant root privileges to ordinary user

Hi, Is it possible to grant root privileges to an ordinary user? Other than 'sudo', is there some way under Users/Groups configuration? I want ordinary user to be able to mount, umount and use command mt. /Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brendan76
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Privileges like root

My English is no very good. I must make a bash scripting sh create like a backdoor, and when execute the script a user without privileges convert in super user or root, whithout introducing the password. In Spanish: Crear un script que sirva como puerta trasera al sistema, de manera que al... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kitievbr
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Gaining root privileges

Hello I am a new (and only) administrator of a Solaris 10 environment. The previous admin gave me a use (say user123) that is supposed to have administrative privileges. Now the problem is, the user does not have this privilege! Here is what i tried so far: $ id uid=109(user123) gid=1(other)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

User with root privileges in hp ux

hi, i am new in hp ux and i must create a user with root privileges and so i disable ssh connection from root login. thanks.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: eliste
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can you gain root privileges if the suid program does not belong to root?

I had a question in my test which asked where suppose user B has a program with 's' bit set. Can user A run this program and gain root privileges in any way? I suppose not as the suid program run with privileges of owner and this program will run with B's privileges and not root. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. AIX

Monitoring tools

The monitoring tools what we have not able to see historical information about the process name or pid number for the process that consumed high CPU or memory or paging space. Can you please suggest some of the best monitoring tools available in the market that monitors primarily AIX and other Unix... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: baladelaware73
0 Replies
Nagios::Plugin::Functions(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Nagios::Plugin::Functions(3pm)

NAME
Nagios::Plugin::Functions - functions to simplify the creation of Nagios plugins SYNOPSIS
# Constants OK, WARNING, CRITICAL, and UNKNOWN exported by default use Nagios::Plugin::Functions; # nagios_exit( CODE, $message ) - exit with error code CODE, # and message "PLUGIN CODE - $message" nagios_exit( CRITICAL, $critical_error ) if $critical_error; nagios_exit( WARNING, $warning_error ) if $warning_error; nagios_exit( OK, $result ); # nagios_die( $message, [$CODE] ) - just like nagios_exit(), # but CODE is optional, defaulting to UNKNOWN do_something() or nagios_die("do_something() failed horribly"); do_something_critical() or nagios_die("do_something_critical() failed", CRITICAL); # check_messages - check a set of message arrays, returning a # CODE and/or a result message $code = check_messages(critical => @crit, warning => @warn); ($code, $message) = check_messages( critical => @crit, warning => @warn, ok => @ok ); # get_shortname - return the default short name for this plugin # (as used by nagios_exit/die; not exported by default) $shortname = get_shortname(); DESCRIPTION
This module is part of the Nagios::Plugin family, a set of modules for simplifying the creation of Nagios plugins. This module exports convenience functions for the class methods provided by Nagios::Plugin. It is intended for those who prefer a simpler functional interface, and who do not need the additional functionality of Nagios::Plugin. EXPORTS Nagios status code constants are exported by default: OK WARNING CRITICAL UNKNOWN DEPENDENT as are the following functions: nagios_exit nagios_die check_messages The following variables and functions are exported only on request: %ERRORS %STATUS_TEXT get_shortname max_state max_state_alt FUNCTIONS The following functions are supported: nagios_exit( <CODE>, $message ) Exit with return code CODE, and a standard nagios message of the form "PLUGIN CODE - $message". nagios_die( $message, [CODE] ) Same as nagios_exit(), except that CODE is optional, defaulting to UNKNOWN. NOTE: exceptions are not raised by default to calling code. Set $_use_die flag if this functionality is required (see test code). check_messages( critical => @crit, warning => @warn ) Convenience function to check a set of message arrays and return an appropriate nagios return code and/or a result message. Returns only a return code in scalar context; returns a return code and an error message in list context i.e. # Scalar context $code = check_messages(critical => @crit, warning => @warn); # List context ($code, $msg) = check_messages(critical => @crit, warning => @warn); check_messages() accepts the following named arguments: critical => ARRAYREF An arrayref of critical error messages - check_messages() returns CRITICAL if this arrayref is non-empty. Mandatory. warning => ARRAYREF An arrayref of warning error messages - check_messages() returns WARNING if this arrayref is non-empty ('critical' is checked first). Mandatory. ok => ARRAYREF | SCALAR An arrayref of informational messages (or a single scalar message), used in list context if both the 'critical' and 'warning' arrayrefs are empty. Optional. join => SCALAR A string used to join the relevant array to generate the message string returned in list context i.e. if the 'critical' array @crit is non-empty, check_messages would return: join( $join, @crit ) as the result message. Optional; default: ' ' (space). join_all => SCALAR By default, only one set of messages are joined and returned in the result message i.e. if the result is CRITICAL, only the 'critical' messages are included in the result; if WARNING, only the 'warning' messages are included; if OK, the 'ok' messages are included (if supplied) i.e. the default is to return an 'errors-only' type message. If join_all is supplied, however, it will be used as a string to join the resultant critical, warning, and ok messages together i.e. all messages are joined and returned. get_shortname Return the default shortname used for this plugin i.e. the first token reported by nagios_exit/nagios_die. The default is basically uc basename( $ENV{NAGIOS_PLUGIN} || $0 ) with any leading 'CHECK_' and trailing file suffixes removed. get_shortname is not exported by default, so must be explicitly imported. max_state(@a) Returns the worst state in the array. Order is: CRITICAL, WARNING, OK, UNKNOWN, DEPENDENT The typical usage of max_state is to initialise the state as UNKNOWN and use it on the result of various test. If no test were performed successfully the state will still be UNKNOWN. max_state_alt(@a) Returns the worst state in the array. Order is: CRITICAL, WARNING, UNKNOWN, DEPENDENT, OK This is a true definition of a max state (OK last) and should be used if the internal tests performed can return UNKNOWN. SEE ALSO
Nagios::Plugin; the nagios plugin developer guidelines at http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html. AUTHORS
This code is maintained by the Nagios Plugin Development Team: http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2006 by Nagios Plugin Development Team This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-12-23 Nagios::Plugin::Functions(3pm)